VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 15, 2009, 02:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Album title capitalization

I know we typically want to get the title as close in appearance to the original. If it's all-caps, is the convention to convert it to proper case?

P.S. Same questions applies to an entire all-caps tracklist.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; May 15, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 04:10 AM

I have personally always thought it to be silly how people try to replicate the album cover with all caps. It's a typeface thing which really can't be replicated, so why try. It just looks out of place in any other typeface style.

But that's just me.
Old May 16, 2009, 04:38 AM

I've been wanting to ask about if there's any canon in capitalization both in titles and track names, now. Personally I'm the type who transcibes it exactly as it appears on the album. In theory you can't know if the original font was all Caps, so I think it'¡s better to play it safe, and follow capitalization exactly.
But that's just me.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old May 16, 2009, 04:49 AM

A similar discussion was also had here.

I'm still undecided on this issue.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think we should come up with a consensus for consistency, and so we don't have edit wars going back and forth between two viewpoints.

Honestly, I can go either way on an all-caps title and/or an all-caps tracklist. I do think, however, that if there's any reason other than capitalization needed to put in an original (line 2) album title, that original title should be as close to the original as possible, even if all caps.
Old May 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I personally try to keep the tracklist exactly as listed on the covers (booklet or back cover).
Old May 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I too think that least in tracklists we should keep all-caps, if only because otherwise you can't know how it was originally written.

For titles, I think they should be kept all caps if that's how they are officially, at least. For example Square is very anal about writting "FINAL FANTASY" in English, you will never ever (?) see it written as "Final Fantasy" officially anywhere (see here, as opposed to "The World Ends with You" that's written just like that. Maybe it's because of their trademarks or something). Also a bit related would be "Super Robot Wars", I find it weird all the albums here are written that way when the games released in the US are officially called "Super Robot Taisen".

Of course other companies aren't that consistent so for these I don't really mind either way; sometimes it's just a typeface thing but certainly not always.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:01 AM

Store as is in database, the presentation layer may convert the capitalization on the fly if the user so desires.

A slightly unrelated question: how do you choose which one of these is appropriate:
tilde (~)
tilde operator (∼)
wave dash (〜)
fullwidth tilde (~)

I think I saw them all used in album/track titles.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I never knew that there were so many Tildes in Japanese. Do you know what the functional differences are?

On the capitalization issue, I've lately been in favor of matching the given capitalization, though I originally was in the other camp. If the whole title or tracklist is capitalized, I can see that it might just be a font face issue, and don't have a problem with it being done either way. If the title or tracklist has mixed case, then it should definitely be ridigly followed.

Quote:
I find it weird all the albums here are written that way when the games released in the US are officially called "Super Robot Taisen"
Super Robot Taisen is the official name for the US Release? If that's the case, we should change them all back to Taisen.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

For consistency, japanese language tracklists or album titles should use the fullwidth tilde (~) and english translations should use ~.

The capitalization standard on Musicbrainz would be a good one to follow (try to follow the printed text as closely as possible).

And yes, it's quite possible to switch capitalization on the fly using Javascript. I'll add that to the feature suggestion list.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
For example Square is very anal about writting "FINAL FANTASY" in English, you will never ever (?) see it written as "Final Fantasy" officially anywhere
Yep, those crazy Japanese.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm about keeping case when it's mixed case, but standardizing the capitalization when everything is capitalized, since it may be considered just a font issue.