VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:45 PM

Default Grand theft Auto Playlist

Does anyone like grand theft auto playlist when the guy hops in the car. Every song that comes on i like.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:26 PM

I'm going to walk out on a limb here and say that GTA's radio hardly counts as game music.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'm going to walk out on a limb here and say that GTA's radio hardly counts as game music.
You're not too far from the truth.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

GTA (the first game) has a great soundtrack indeed. Good variety and nice execution. I especially like the Funk station.

I'm curious as to why you guys consider it as hardly being game music?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:19 PM

Yes, music, but not VGM. I'm sure that answer raises eyebrows, so...

GTA uses mainstream music, selected specifically for the game, music that isn't specifically composed for it.

VGM, to MY understanding, is music composed specifically for a video game, not chosen from a selected list of artists / bands (i.e. mainstream music).

Games like GTA, THPS, Guitar Hero, Rockband, et alia, even DJMAX don't offer VGM. That's my personal opinion, of course.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Jan 15, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ah, I see. Well, not all GTA titles featured licensed music. The first game had an original soundtrack, GTA2 featured mostly original songs, GTA3 was a mixed bag, and the subsequent games had soundtracks mainly consisting of licensed material. There seems to be a popular misconception that the entire series is constituted of licensed music, most probably because the latter games were the most popular ones. But Craig Conner, Stuart Ross, and the other people involved in the original music did a noteworthy job on it in my opinion.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:05 PM

Oh, no, no, I am aware of the first PSX games; in fact, I own the first one. I was mostly referring to the newest iterations in the series.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
That's my personal opinion, of course.
Not only yours
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Games like GTA, THPS, Guitar Hero, Rockband, et alia, even DJMAX don't offer VGM. That's my personal opinion, of course.
I see what you mean, but since the question was (very) simply whether or not you like the music, that seems rather irrelevant. Personally I think the licensing choices have been great throughout the series - Vice City especially having no end of great tracks, fitting with the rest of the game very nicely indeed.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I understood that, I was simply following Jormungand's line of thought, which seemingly derailed the purpose of this thread, for which I apologize.

Either way, other than the first PSX game, I haven't played any of the GTA games so I've no opinion about the music, nor know what artists/bands are featured in any...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
GTA uses mainstream music, selected specifically for the game, music that isn't specifically composed for it.

VGM, to MY understanding, is music composed specifically for a video game, not chosen from a selected list of artists / bands (i.e. mainstream music).

Zeke said everything I would have.

The first thing I thought of was GTA3 and later, where there is little to no original music. In fact the only original track I can think of off the top of my head is the title theme in San Andreas. And chances are that's just a bunch of sampled loops stuck together.

I can see how my first post may have been taken in the wrong context.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:26 AM

i used to like head radio on the original GTA. i think there was a tune called "overdrive". that was pretty cool. also that one country song you hear in pickup trucks and juggernauts.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:06 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM.