VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 15, 2014, 10:46 PM

FLOWER is the only final boss theme I'm really hot on. As for Ishikawa, I think overall he had better music in Return to Dreamland ~ Ando really dominates this one, though I find a few of Ishikawa's tunes delightful.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:39 AM

Overall I enjoy this soundtrack quite a lot too. In comparison I think I prefer Return to Dreamland overall, but that doesn't mean this one is bad. I agree that Ando is the one who really shines here.

I haven't played the game, but can someone enlighten me what's the point of the first track of this album? It fades out fairly soon without any looppoint reached and gives a fairly bad first impression, at least to me. Although this gets sort of recitfied later when track 42 starts playing which seems to be the same tune, this time in full length. So... what's the point of placing that little sample of music at the beginning of the disc? xD
Old May 16, 2014, 12:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Track 1 is the title theme, and track 42 is the credits theme. The title theme DOES play past the point it's cut on this album, but I'm not sure for how long because I don't have the game yet either!
Old May 16, 2014, 01:33 PM

Yeah this album definitely made me go "huh, maybe I like that Ando guy after all" (ignoring that, like Ishikawa, I've never deleted any of his songs outside of short jingles/sound effects). Although. The bias is strong. /looks sadly at lopsided Triple Deluxe favorites list

I also think Return to Dream Land was better overall, especially for Ishikawa. But I think he has a handful of good tracks here that stand out to me because they aren't your typical Ishikawa rave fodder.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:15 PM

I just got this in the mail today. I heard them all online and felt like I had to get it right after I finished listening to it. Maybe I'm just blind, but is the catalog number nowhere to be found anywhere on this release?
Old May 16, 2014, 04:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Check the backside of the disc, along the ring around the center hole.
Old May 16, 2014, 07:27 PM

I found this. It may be helpful.
Old May 22, 2014, 03:29 PM
Trusted Editor

I had a reply lined up but lost it when I clicked on something on the page.

This wiki is a huge vat of information of where the music is played, composer breakdowns and even has a pretty decent documentation for where specific songs are reused as motifs in other songs and stuff: http://ja.kirby.wikia.com/wiki/%E6%9...82%AF%E3%82%B9

This has composer breakdown, soundtrack track number references and I think the primary column is sound test indexes.

06 is "Tilt Puzzle Solution", it's the music that plays when you solve a Tilt Puzzle for a star. It's found here as well as littered throughout this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbc4rkwrBLk#t=1m47s
11 Reference to the boss battle because the boss jumps back and forth between front and back of the stage (Kirby does this sometimes too).
16 Played during the stage (2-3) which is full of giant white-gloved cartoon-esque hands that try to throw you off the platform, so Boing is accurate and you can use any translation for the other sound, whether it's Thwap, Thwomp, Whomp, Whap, etc. I went for Thwap
29 is difficult, I'm not sure what Sectoratoa (セクトラトア) means. The song is played through 6-1 ~ 6-3 and the Stage name is Royal Road. There are a ton of different enemy names that start with セクトラ:

セクトルディ -- Sectoru Dee (Sectre?)
セクトラバート -- Sectora Bart/Burt (Improved form of Secotra Rudi)? (Sectra?)
セクトラゴルドー -- Sectora Gordo
セクトラナイト -- Sectora Knight
セクトラシューター -- Sectora Shooter

So it could be a enemy name but I don't see it in the wiki, though.

33 Revenge of Enemy (Took out the 'the' since it's straight katakana translation)

Last edited by dancey; May 22, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Since there are massive spoilers in what I posted, here is a pastebin for a complete breakdown of the tracks here. There are links to YT videos for where the music plays in the games and a few translation updates:

http://pastebin.com/RuBPz7wP
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:52 PM

Track title for #38 was revealed on HAL's Miiverse: "Moonstruck Blossom" https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/...AADRUqGDpvDNhg
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:56 AM

NoE releases the CD here in Europe for 2000 Stars
http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/pro...soundtrack-251
Old Apr 21, 2018, 06:55 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, but hey CHz, I noticed you reverted some tracklist edits to the English translation for this sound selection. Specifically:

"The Strongest Shadow Survives" was changed to "Shadow of the Strongest Revived" by MagnusLordSt and reverted by you. よみがえる最強の影 is the Japanese name. よみがえる means "revive" or "resurrect". That's pretty clear cut; any Japanese-English dictionary online or Google Translate can tell you that. 最強の影 being "Shadow of the Strongest" rather than "Strongest Shadow" is more debatable, but consider that the game's description literally calls him "the darkest shadow of the strongest warrior". In context, Shadow of the Strongest makes much more sense than 'Strongest Shadow' because Dark Meta Knight isn't fighting against another shadow, while Meta Knight has repeatedly beaten Galacta Knight, who has been referred to as the strongest and greatest warrior.

"Battle of the Soul Multiplied by the Stars" was changed to "This Star Caught Up in a Battle of Spirits" by me, and reverted by you. I'll admit this was a hard one to translate, but I came to this name by myself first, then checked with the reddit community r/translator. They gave me "Battle of the souls/spirits over this planet" and "This Star Caught Up In A Spirit Battle". Your translation is literally the second suggestion of Google Translate and doesn't make sense in context or in general. Note that the English translation follows this idea with the name "World to Win"; which aligns with our translations indicating that the title refers to a battle for the planet; of which is often referred to as a star.

"Mad Flower under the Color of Water" was changed to "A Flower Within Madness, The Moon Within Water" once again by me, and reverted by you. The Japanese name 狂花水月 is a pun of a Japanese saying 鏡花水月 which is usually literally translated as "Mirror Flower, Water Moon", with the word mirror exchanged with the word madness in the song's title. It's such a famous saying there's even a wikipedia article on it. The phrase means "flower in the mirror, moon in the water", referring to things that can be seen but not touched; things that are essentially illusions/not real. It's generally seen as a warning on the idea of trying to achieve beauty or perfection. Literally fits the game to a tee. So all we have to do is take this and replace the word mirror with madness. I have to wonder where you got 'under the color of' from, or why you abandoned the 月 which can only mean moon or month.

I'd be glad to hear an explanation on the thought process behind your translations!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZekrom View Post
Not sure if this is the right place, but hey CHz, I noticed you reverted some tracklist edits to the English translation for this sound selection.
Sorry about this, I meant to message you after I undid the changes but I forgot. I didn't necessarily object to any of your edits, I just wanted you to post your proposed changes first before editing the tracklist because the translation was done by the community here with discussion (some translation notes are strewn randomly through this thread), and I'd prefer we not change those without saying anything. The rest of your post is exactly what I was looking for: just some notes to see if anyone has any objections or something to add, particularly dancey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZekrom View Post
I have to wonder where you got 'under the color of' from, or why you abandoned the 月 which can only mean moon or month.
The original translation does in fact have "moon" in it, it's "Mad Flower Under a Moon the Color of Water." The "color of" part obviously isn't literally in the title, but it comes from the fact that a watery, blue moon is extremely prominent in the background of the fight. The four characters in the title all directly describe the battle, which is why it was translated with that focus.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 04:36 AM
Trusted Editor

https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.ph...4&postcount=39

Shadow of the Strongest Revived is iffy. I believe I was trying to discern meaning from the game at the time and I'm not aware of the backstory of the franchise characters. It's also worth mentioning that this plays during the Dark Meta Knight battle where it does split into 3 Dark Meta Knights and then recombines into one, or you eliminate 2 and only 1 is left, so Survives somewhat contextually makes sense, but it is kind of a stretch. That may be where my original translation came from.

Revived is the better translation but both "Shadow of the Strongest Revived" and "Strongest Shadow Revived" flow very poorly in English. I would argue for a less literal and more descriptive title.

- Revival/Resurrection of the Strongest Shadow -- move the "of" to separate the nouns instead
- The Strongest Shadow Warrior Revived -- add the "warrior" part from the game quote to add context
- The Strongest Shadow, Revived -- add a comma to separate phrases. I do not like this option because I do not like adding punctuation that otherwise doesn't exist in the original but it's a viable alternative.

I don't agree with This Star Caught up in a battle of spirits, see original note from link above:

Quote:
40 この星をかけた魂の戦い -- Battle of the Soul Multiplied by the Stars -- This is the second phase of the final battle and the "Soul Multiplied by the Stars" is because Kirby eats a Hypernova [remember it's a "Big Bang" in Japanese] thing that Dedede throws him. Just saying "Battle of the Souls" isn't true to the meaning.
Mad Flower Under a Moon the Color of Water -- agree with CHz and my original proposed title. The literal-ness was because of the stage. See original notes from link above:

Quote:
38 狂花水月 -- Mad Flower Under a Moon the Color of Water -- CHz nailed it with the literal interpretation and a literal interpretation here makes sense in English, I think. It keeps both the meaning and the intent of the Japanese word in English. You could probably shorten it to "Mad Flower Under a Blue Moon" but it sort of loses some of it's luster in the original wordplay. Plays during the final battle with Queen Sectonia in her first phase -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIvvbZ-4vCA

All that being said, because there's an official English tracklist from the sound test, I don't really think we should be spending all that much time on it. I know once official English tracklists come out I lose interest/deprioritize any translations unless it's an album that loses volumes of meaning between the two ('sup, Fire Emblem if). I'm not suggesting deleting it but I don't know that there's much value in perfecting it. :shrug:
Old Apr 22, 2018, 05:00 AM

I watched that blue moon part video, and I don't find the thing is happening "under" the moon ;p
it's more like a blue lamp behind a big flower

if I should choose a simple translation for that, it could give "(Off-season) Flower and (Blue) Moon" (maybe too simplistic?)
狂花 sounds like 狂い花 but for yoji (just thinking)
Old Aug 6, 2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
40 この星をかけた魂の戦い
The word "かけた" is written in kanji as "賭けた".

DeepL: The battle of souls for this planet
Google: A battle of souls with this star at stake
Old Aug 10, 2022, 02:00 PM

My only complaint about this soundtrack is the inclusion of Queen Sectonia's vocal SFX during the "Sullied Grace" track (#36). It's legitimately my favorite piece of music in the game (and one of my favorite in the entire Kirby series), and I hate that it's mixed with maniacal cackling and then her screaming and exploding at the end. I mean, I get that they were trying to make it sound "just like the game, man!" but they didn't do that with any other track.

If anyone here has any skill with ripping game music, I would love a rip of that track that sounds exactly as it is on this album (same length and all) but music only, no SFX.