VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:15 PM

Default The Rarest and Most Expensive CDs

This is a thread to catalogue the albums that are very hard to find and over $100. Please stay on-topic. Comments should be on items you have specific market knowledge of. If you aren't sure you can recommend it under the pending review section.

The List So Far:

+ A-Train 6 Original Sound Track

+ Akagawa Jirou Yasoukyoku -Original Sound Collection
(seen two times for around 10,00 yen, apart from that only for much more)

+ Astronoka Original Soundtrack

+ Alice Sound Collection CD
(100,000,000 yen cd probably not owned by more than a handful of people)

+ Alien Soldier
(Lowest sold was at 7,500 yen. Price is over 10,000 yen for a decent copy. Amazon Japan has the cheapest one listed at 17,999 yen.)

+ Alundra Original Game Soundtrack
(always sells over $100. all 20,000 yen copies that lingered for months on yahoo japan have sold out)

+ Blaze&Blade ~Eternal Quest~ ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK

+ Blaze&Blade Busters ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

+ Bounty Sword Ongakuhen
(seen once for around 10,000 yen, apart from that only seen for way above that)

+ Choro Q Marine Q-Boat Original Sound Collection

+ Cyber Doll Original Soundtracks

+ Death Crimson 2 -Yuri Rosenberg-

+ Digimon World Original Soundtrack
(one copy left on yahoo japan at 23,000 yen)

+ Dokapon! Ikari no Tekken Original Sound Album

+ Dynamite Headdy

+ Eternal Arcadia Original Soundtrack
(one copy left on yahoo japan at 10,000 yen)

+ Eushully Music Collection
(insanely rare. sold for a little over 20,000 yen on yahoo japan)

+ F-Zero X Original Soundtrack
+ F-Zero X Guitar Arrange Edition
(from 10,000 to 20,000 yen)

+ Fuujin Ryouiki Eretzvaju Original Soundtrack
(The few unearthed cheap copies are all sold out. Back to 30,000 yen prices again)

+ High Reward Suite and Narration
(sold for 10,000 yen on yahoo japan)

+ Ganbare Goemon ~Deroderodochu Obake Tenkomori~ Original Game Soundtrack
+ Ganbare Goemon ~Neo Momoyama-Bakufu no Odori~ Original Game Soundtrack
+ Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyushutsu Emaki
(from 10,000 to 57,000 yen)

+ MYSTERY CASE in HI! SCHOOL! / SYNERGY
(never seen it on yahoo japan. would easily go for over 10,000 yen) - went for 30,000 yen recently (10/2012)

+ Ore no Ryouri ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
(very rare and at prices of 20,000 yen)

+ Perfect Dark Dual CD Soundtrack
(last one sold for $125)

+ Racing Lagoon
(!!!)

+ Ryu ga Gotoku & Ryu ga Gotoku 2 Original Sound Track
(not readily available and copy floating at over $200 on yahoo japan)

+ Sonic Adventure
+ Sonic Adventure 2
(both over 10k yen for complete copies, with SA2 being more expensive [15k yen])

+ Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy Original Sound Version
(tends to be 30,000 yen and over)

+ Super Mario RPG Original Sound Version
(sells at a minimum of $200)

+ Sweet Home
Sells at 48,000 yen on Amazon Japan. On Yahoo Japan Auction the cd sells for over 37,200 yen.

+ Tenchi Sozo Creative Soundtracks (Terranigma Soundtrack)
(lowest price 15,000 yen)

+ Violence Killer Original Soundtrack
(last one sold for 13,500 on yahoo japan)

+ WILDTRAX ~ RARE TRACKS FOR DRIVING
(Around 10,000 yen).

+ Zeus II Carnage Heart Original Sound Track
(never seen for less than 20,000 yen)

PENDING REVIEW:
+ Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit - The Album
(I know it's rare, but I don't know how much its market price is)

+ Revolter
(a Hitoshi Sakimoto album that isn't even on the database. Sakimoto's early albums demand high prices, so I'd imagine this one would too)

Last edited by Vert1; Jul 27, 2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I bought Digimon World Original Soundtrack for over $400 at VGM World. As far as I can tell, there's only been two copies on Yahoo! Japan, since the start of 2010 (when I started looking for the soundtrack), and I'm not even too sure about the condition. The starting bidding price is ~20000 yen. The copy I bought at VGM World was sealed, however.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:50 PM

There was once a single copy of the Mischief Makers soundtrack that went for well over 30,000 yen from what I remember, but the very next day I went to ogle it, it had already sold. It is available on Amazon.jp, but the cheapest price is 26,000 yen and more ridiculous offers exceed 40,000. These are all used, by the way.

Last edited by Hellacia; Jun 21, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:01 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Come on.. we all know the most expensive album in the galaxy is Alice Sound Collection CD.
It's worth 100.000.000 Yens!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:42 PM

Off the top of my head:

- Super Donkey Kong 2 - Not that unusual (pops up every few months IRC) but quite expensive, on the 20k~30k yen range if note more (I think it once went for well over 100k yen... yeah, that's bullsh*t)

- Best of Thunder Force (the standalone release): I've seen it go for around 40k yen

- Sonic Adventure 1 and 2: both over 10k yen for complete copies, with SA2 being more expensive (15k yen)

- Dodonpachi/ESPRade: not that uncommon but always between 10k and 20k yen

- F-zero X and guitar arrange: both aorund the 15k~20k yen range

...and those are that I remember at the moment.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:34 PM
Trusted Editor

I wouldn't say rare cds always have to have expensive price tags. There are albums I've never seen on YJA so you can't really know which price they would go for.
Fishing Taro's Holiday Off Time Game Music for example was on YJA (at least) twice in recent times, once in 2006 and in march 2011. It went for 4000 Yen.
On the other hand there are CDs like the Goemon ones or Tactics Ogre where all sellers seem to have agreed on raising the market price.
Whenever somebody does set the starting bid to 1 Yen or 100 Yen, it rarely goes beyond 10,000 yen.
I think if you wait long enough you can get any album for below that sum.

The only CDs I'd consider both rare and expensive are Nintendo game music CDs, because Nintendo makes no effort to make these available to a large audience and there's always some idiot willing to pay 20,000 yen and more.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:42 AM

One of the rarest I've ever encountered was an official soundtrack release of Revolter, Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata's debut work, on YJA about 12 to 13 years ago. VGMdb doesn't even have an entry for it. Too bad I didn't preserve the scan.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:20 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Not sure if they are expensives.. but the vast majority of the albums from "Absord Music Japan" are somewhat rare, with a few ones that are hardly to be seen anywhere, like these A-Train albums.. and for some games you probably never heard of: Pinocchia no Miru Yume ? Ichigeki: Hagane no Hito ? Kyabate Bakaichidai ?

Though i am agree with Teioh, rarity and price are different.
Price does not indicate the rarity to me.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
I wouldn't say rare cds always have to have expensive price tags.
I agree with you

A price of a CD depends how the CD is important or not for the seller person. If it is cheap it's because maybe the person is not exactly a collector and he would like to sell something for an affordable price. It's a particular point at all.

on ebay for example, during some years, i have seen sometimes 80's Animemusic CDs (original japanese releases) in good condition being sold for very small prices (5 USD, 10 USD, 15 USD)... and at the same moment i have seen else peoples selling the same stuff for higher prices (25 USD, 50 USD, 75 USD)

Last edited by Maze; Jun 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:16 AM

I'm going to toot my own horn a bit here and mention the Sangokushi Taisen 3 OST. It was only available with the most expensive version of the first edition Sangokushi Taisen 3 arcade DX pack (binder/deck case/etc) and was only for sale through Sega Direct. Damn good OST too!

No idea if it's actually worth anything, but I'd say it qualifies as at least "hard to find".
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:27 PM

The rarest most expensive soundtracks that people have actually heard of or are related to actual video games are as follows: All Ganbare Goemon albums fetch a packet, Super Donkey Kong 2, Yoshis Island and Various N64 Soundtrack series. Old school nintendo fetches the most for stuff we've actually heard of.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:35 AM

In terms of rarity (not sure how rare it really is), but the Darius Premium Box -Rebirth- only had 2000 copies made. Not sure what a normal print-run is like, though, so it could be "common" in the grand scheme of things. I know it's on YJA now for 34,500 yen.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:07 AM

It may be a bit too limited running for a box release (as Darius Burst alone sold 1.8k), but 2k is still decent by normal VGM standard though. Tons of soundtracks are below 0.5k, and nowadays it's almost impossible to see them on the shelves of CD stores...

Compared to so much of obscure promo release, being commercially sold at some point is fortunate.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:22 AM

What about Hyrule Symphony? I never even seen a legit listing for it anywhere and those I have seen have been the EverAnime knock offs. I imagine a legit copy would go for high prices.

Also the Gurumin OST, which only was released as a limited edition with the original Japanese PC release of the game I have never seen it anywhere (except my shelf of course, because I own it).
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:02 PM

It was already mentioned but I'll second the original Sonic Adventure OST. It rarely shows up on auction sites and when it does, it usually starts in the $200-250 range.

Yakuza 1 & 2 OST, same deal. Only one on YJA right now and it's $244. Sigh.

Keys of the city ("Leading Company" jazz arrange CD).. never seen it show up for sale anywhere and I've been watching for it for almost a year now.

Gungage Original Soundtrack, same deal as Keys of the city, I've never seen it show up on any auction site and I check regularly.

Elemental Gimmick Gear Original Soundtrack - yet another one that never shows up anywhere, ever.

Seems a lot of the CDs I want are super hard to find and/or expensive.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:55 PM

Terranigma/Tenchi Souzou - Everything between 15,000 to 35,000 Yen
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:51 PM

Princess Crown OST and Full Arrange did fetch a mint...I never saw a copy list for under 20,000 yen. When I saw a copy up for auction with a BIN of 16,000 yen, I jumped on it. Two weeks later, I found out that they remastered and re-released it for under 3000 yen. D'oh!

Of course, the Sound Horizons CDs go for a ton.

Kewing:
All of the Technosoft albums were re-released. Check the webstore here:

http://www.tecnosoft.com/store/index...=index&cPath=1

The other Thunderforce albums are now sold out, but The Best of Thunderforce is still available. If you have a Japanese middleman, you can get it for 2500 yen.

TheBanditKing:
Gurumin is going to have a soundtrack release next month:

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/m056.html
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
Gungage Original Soundtrack, same deal as Keys of the city, I've never seen it show up on any auction site and I check regularly.

Elemental Gimmick Gear Original Soundtrack - yet another one that never shows up anywhere, ever.

Seems a lot of the CDs I want are super hard to find and/or expensive.
Man, it took me eons to get Gungage. Though it's more rare than expensive really; mine went for 1,800yen I remember. Hope you get it man, it's totally worth it, not just for the music: the artwork kicks ass too (even the obi rocks, which classifies Gungage as 'Neo Cyber game musc' ^_^).

My first post btw

~Yuvraj
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:25 PM

Shutokou Battle Original Sound Track (ABCA-17)

Took me about ten years to get this OST. I bought it complete with obi and sticker just a few weeks ago. One hell of an expensive OST to buy, well worth it though. It is an Absord Music Japan release. One of the best OST's of all time. =)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:39 AM

An irrelevant comment, but these prices are the reason pirated vgm is becoming so popular. To the individuals who bought their sealed cd's for over 100~200 dollars, please tell me you never opened them...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:01 AM

$100~200 is nothing
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajwork View Post
An irrelevant comment, but these prices are the reason pirated vgm is becoming so popular...
-becoming

it's not a recent phenomenon, that makes years it exists (probably born with/before napster's creation)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:51 PM

Hopefully some day they will release lossless vgm, complete with official digital booklets, on various sites/networks - no more price gouging, no more out of prints, no more disappointment! (at least not for me! )

But as long as it's NOT exclusive to one country or another! (iTunes *cough*)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajwork View Post
...To the individuals who bought their sealed cd's for over 100~200 dollars, please tell me you never opened them...
Why wouldn't we open them? Unless you're talking about saving them to flip them later... I just don't see the point in spending so much money to not listen to it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:29 PM

I added another album. Anymore?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:40 PM

I can also mention the Hanakisou Director's Cut Soundtrack, which almost never appears at Yahoo! Japan and the few times it has showed up the seller was asking beyond 10000 yen.
On that same note, the promo albums by Akiko Shikata (Kurenawi and horizon blue) and Haruka Shimotsuki's initial doujin albums (Sacred Doors vol. 1, and I think ciel etoile as well) all have fetched prices beyond the 20000 yen range.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:47 AM

How about The Music from Tamriel (soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)? I have only ever seen it on eBay once, and my 350 USD bid wasn't enough to get it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
How about The Music from Tamriel (soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)? I have only ever seen it on eBay once, and my 350 USD bid wasn't enough to get it.
I don't think there's any evidence on the internet that this album is legit or not.
Sure rare bootlegs are rare.. (?)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I don't think there's any evidence on the internet that this album is legit or not.
There is virtually no information whatsoever.

Quote:
Sure rare bootlegs are rare.. (?)
How many rare bootlegs do you know? The whole purpose of bootlegs is to make money; what would be the point of a bootleg which can't be bought, no matter how you try?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:18 AM

Whether it's rare or whether it can be bought are two different things entirely. Rare things can be bought; it happens all the time, take this thread for an example. I think rare bootlegs are probably pretty common (is that statement ironic? ) in that the bootlegger makes a couple copies and then sells them for $500 a piece and he's done. In fact the rarer the better. If he was selling 100 of them, people wouldn't be paying $500 a piece and that's what he wants.