VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 28, 2022, 06:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

Does anyone know what that music is being referenced on M-09? It's quite a well-known piece but I can't put my finger on what it is.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 09:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Reminds me a bit of 'Hit the Road Jack' with a different melody but that might not be what you're looking for
Old Jan 28, 2022, 09:57 AM

Yeah, it definitely channels "Hit the Road Jack", intended or not.

It's mostly the chord progressions that sound familiar (or common even), the melody itself doesn't ring a bell.

The Famicom version specifically evokes the ending music of Vampire Killer (MSX). But it's not like they could have stolen the chord progression (although Metro-Cross FC was released a mere 6 weeks later), seeing how the arcade version already had the track.

A few bars remind me of "Friend Like Me" from Disney's Aladdin when the Genie sings "Mr. Aladdin, Sir, what will your pleasure be?" And the latter part's progression sounds a bit like "The Wedding Waltz ~Duel" from FF6. Both were released later, of course.

I'm sure the aforementioned elements were quite common before they appeared in Metro-Cross.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 07:01 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Does anyone know what that music is being referenced on M-09? It's quite a well-known piece but I can't put my finger on what it is.
It reminds me a bit of this song from Aladdin: https://youtu.be/kNVXsIs22ls?t=101
Old Jan 29, 2022, 04:50 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Reminds me a bit of 'Hit the Road Jack' with a different melody but that might not be what you're looking for
Oh yeah, this is the song I was thinking of. Not quite as blatant as I thought though.

Interesting that you guys both mention that Aladdin song, hadn't noticed the similarities there before.