VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Organization Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

We're the best, mayne.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

WP:ADVERT
WP:BIAS

Nominating for speedy deletion
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Hahaha! On that note, our Wikipedia page looks good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OverClocked_ReMix

I'm always open to suggestions on improving it. :-)
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:47 PM

It seems that OverClocked Remix's albums are among the lowest rated here. I'm quite surprised given they're usually pretty good in my opinion and a lot of OC Remix members attend the site. Any theories why it is?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's due to the relatively low number of vote samples. I just bumped the minimum vote count to 10, which should give a better overview.

....and the lowest rated albums are still over 5/10, so they aren't exactly "bad". It's just we don't have enough votes yet in the system to properly distinguish between genuinely awful and so-so.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It seems that OverClocked Remix's albums are among the lowest rated here. I'm quite surprised given they're usually pretty good in my opinion and a lot of OC Remix members attend the site. Any theories why it is?
It's injustice. Like when the soundtrack for SO4 is rated 4.19 when I consider it is utter crap. I guess you would object to the 4.42 rating for Subarashiki Kono Sekai as well. Maybe we should not really worry about the ratings! When each album have hundreds of votes, the system will probably have more significance.

I personally think Overclocked Remix albums are pretty hit-or-miss. But I really value their most impressive contributions. There are some fantastic remixes in Voices of the Lifestream, Thieves of Fate and Summoning of Spirits!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:47 AM

if people aren't happy with how high/low something is rated they can always do something about it :P lots of people here aren't currently rating stuff. myself, i make a point to rate anything i listen to, though it is mostly from the perspective that it might help me meet people with similar preferences.

no idea why the OCR albums are related so low. some have a fair number of votes too, like this, so you would expect them to be higher. i have to admit, i haven't rated one higher than a 2, but they really should have higher averages considering their general popularity. i'm anticipating an ocremix "sign up on VGMdb and 5-star all our albums" initiative.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

While they're at it maybe they could try rating the rest of the album entries too =)
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:32 AM

I haven't rated any of the OCR albums, barely any albums at all in fact, but in general the OCR albums are a miss for me. There might be one or two good tracks in an album, but that's not a lot from the total amount of tracks.

Though this can also be said on any other fanmade remix album.
Bound Together (the Earthbound one) is the only one I actually like, rest are kind of meh.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think most OCR albums are mediocre. The only ones that really stand out to me are Project Chaos and SF2 HD Remix. Relics of the Chozo stood out to me when it first came out because it was the first of its kind, but now it sounds a bit dated.

Of course Dirge for the Follin will be the greatest album to have ever graced the site.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:38 PM

^^^
even thought about arranging a tune for that'n.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
It's injustice. Like when the soundtrack for SO4 is rated 4.19 when I consider it is utter crap. I guess you would object to the 4.42 rating for Subarashiki Kono Sekai as well. Maybe we should not really worry about the ratings! When each album have hundreds of votes, the system will probably have more significance.
Well, I think this reflects a completely different phenomenon -- the tendency for most people to vote 4.5 or 5 for near-enough everything. I personally don't understand why some people are so totally uncritical, so it's refreshing when I see ratings like yours, Carl's, or Kaleb's, even if I don't always agree with them. I personally gave Subarashiki a 6 as it's not that bad. If anything, I think I lean towards generosity when reviewing or rating albums these days, but still try to always consider value for money. But compared to some members, I feel like a scrooge.

In terms of bias, my only major concern was that influx of 0.5 ratings for Koichi Sugiyama albums, many of them so rare that the person who rated them probably never listened. But I guess it's not worth taking seriously and an attempt to moderate them could be viewed as biased in itself.

Quote:
I personally think Overclocked Remix albums are pretty hit-or-miss. But I really value their most impressive contributions. There are some fantastic remixes in Voices of the Lifestream, Thieves of Fate and Summoning of Spirits!
This is relatively similar to me. There are some real jewels in the remix colelctions and I appreciate their tendency to be creative and diverse as a whole. My main criticisms are that I think some albums could have done with a more discriminatory track selection so that mediocre or unfitting remixes were rejected (Blood on the Asphalt is a good example). In addition, I would sometimes like to hear a bit more theoretical grounding from the arrangers, for example with their piano work. I'm not really an OC Remix fanboy, but I still think they're worthy or a lot of credit and commend them for all their efforts.

Last edited by Chris; Aug 25, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well, I think this reflects a completely different phenomenon -- the tendency for most people to vote 4.5 or 5 for near-enough everything. (...) In terms of bias, my only major concern was that influx of 0.5 ratings for Koichi Sugiyama albums, many of them so rare that the person who rated them probably never listened.
These are why I suggested elsewhere to not offer the ability to give a rating value directly but (also) let everyone sort their rated albums from best to worst. This would allow the site script to calculate the effective rating for each album automatically while trying to keep the average rating for the whole list at 2.75 (middle of 0.5-5.0) at any time. Such a system would make adding onesided extreme ratings impossible, and high overall ratings for specific albums more noteworthy than atm.

Last edited by Datschge; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So you're suggesting that ratings be calculated by assigning a weight to each individual vote based on the voter's overall rating distribution? I guess I'll consult the algorithms from other sites that do this.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:10 PM

Kind of like that, yes. And I honestly haven't seen any site openly doing such yet, good luck finding one. =/

[edit] Looking around Weighted Bayesian Rating seems to be a little into the direction I like, but as I understand it for the weighting it's taking into account the number of a user's votes instead the user's average rating deviation from 2.75. Will keep looking.

Last edited by Datschge; Aug 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Actually vndb.org does something like this with their "popularity" metric. I'll consult Yorhel about it.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:16 PM

That's great. =) Let us know how this goes (in a more adequate thread maybe). Thanks for looking into it!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Of course Dirge for the Follin will be the greatest album to have ever graced the site.
It better be awesome, or I might murder some random person on the street.

While I generally think that variety is good, I find that the variety of different styles is the problem with remix albums. I would love it if for once there would be themed albums around musical genres.

Another thing that would be awesome, would be remix albums themed around locations or elements or whatever. Like, Ice Album or something, which would naturally have icey and cold music remixed from various different games. Or a Forest Album. Things of that nature. Kind of like Dwelling of Duels do some of their themed months.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:40 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I hope that one day there will be a remix of Kingdom Hearts music, it would be really interesting to see what styles are chosen.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLogic View Post
I hope that one day there will be a remix of Kingdom Hearts music, it would be really interesting to see what styles are chosen.
There are four

http://ocremix.org/quicksearch/game/...kingdom+hearts

Tags
smelly