VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default VGMdb Alpha Bug Reports

Please let me know if you find any errors or issues. We should be back to where we were a few months ago.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:56 PM

When I submitted album info, it was immediately added into the database. Not sure if staff are supposed to review it to approve it before it's added or not.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
When I submitted album info, it was immediately added into the database. Not sure if staff are supposed to review it to approve it before it's added or not.
It will always appear immediately, but the modification is still provisional until a staff member approves it.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:20 PM
VGMdb Staff

Here are some thoughts/ideas of things I've come across. I'm sorry if some of these things have already been mentioned:

1. Editing tracklists or covers doesn't effect the 'edited by' field.

There might be more things apart from these two as well.

2. Tracktimes don't move over automatically when adding a new tracklist using the 'text block' feature.

When adding a second tracklist it would be helpful if the tracktimes from the previous tracklist (assuming there are tracktimes listed) were added automatically.

3. Credit is given to approving staff member and not the user who made the entry/edit

Not so much an issue now as when the database opens for registration though.

4. Switching between tracklists without reloading the entire page.

It would be neat if this was made possible.

5. Only one space between words on a line.

This is in regards to the Notes field where formating is pretty limited due to this. Take this entry and compare with what you see in the CMS as an example of what I mean. Not a big deal perhaps, but still (:
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, Seanne. Thanks for the suggestions. We'll definitely make a note of these.
Quote:
1. Editing tracklists or covers doesn't effect the 'edited by' field.
Tracklist and Cover editing haven't been implemented for the site yet. I think we'll want to have seperate 'edited by' fields for both tracklists and scans.

Quote:
2. Tracktimes don't move over automatically when adding a new tracklist using the 'text block' feature.
I agree. We'll need to think of a good way to implement this.

Quote:
3. Credit is given to approving staff member and not the user who made the entry/edit
Only in the CMS. This is fixed on the site (well, the behavior will still be a little unoptimal until we bring the moderation controls over to VGMdb.) http://www.vgmdb.net/audio/vgmdb-recent.php

Quote:
4. Switching between tracklists without reloading the entire page.
I don't think this is possible the way we do it now. This is a good idea, but it's for the back burner for now.

Quote:
5. Only one space between words on a line.
I'm sure there's a way to do this; we'll just have to figure it out.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:17 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Tracklist and Cover editing haven't been implemented for the site yet. I think we'll want to have seperate 'edited by' fields for both tracklists and scans.
Yeah, I just noticed editing tracklists isn't possible. This was really based on my experiences with earlier versions.

Quote:
Only in the CMS. This is fixed on the site (well, the behavior will still be a little unoptimal until we bring the moderation controls over to VGMdb.) http://www.vgmdb.net/audio/vgmdb-recent.php
Nice. That looks good.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:38 PM

When I submitted a new album today, I received a page not found error. Also, on the "Submissions System" page, the update wasn't reflected, but when I went to "Recent Updates", I found that the album submissions actually went through, hence a duplicate entry.

Also, while we're on the subject of that album (Legend of Xanadu Arrange KLEENE), the album art can be found on the website (http://www2.odn.ne.jp/puchi/photo/kleene.jpg)
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the report. I fixed the error (which prevented the album from going into the queue) so everything should be fine now. I'll delete the duplicate.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:51 AM

When modifying an album, I'm getting this error:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/686...aseerrozc5.png

Am I correct in saying that tracklist addition and editing is not yet functional through the VGMdb front-end?

Also, not a huge issue, but when a Staff member submits and album, they see the "Staff will be reviewing it shortly" box. While it bypasses the moderation queue just fine, it just feels that the message is a rather out of place.

EDIT: Just noticed another thing: I went to an album's edit page, but didn't do any modifications. However, I still get credit for doing a modification on the Staff Activity Log.

Last edited by Free.User; Aug 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

What were you doing when you got that message? Was it tracklist related? I'll be working on tracklists soon, but until then, it's probably better to submit tracklists through the CMS.

I should be able to fix the other problems tonight.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:40 PM

If you are referring to that white error page, I received it when I was trying to add quotation marks in an album's 'Notes' field.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Okay, i'll look into that. I can't remember if we were able to do that in the past, but it's something we should be able to do.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Free.User -- Can you give me the exact string you were trying to use? Quotes are working fine for me.

Seanne -- For the notes field, I substituted nbsp's for the spaces, so now you can have multiple spaces. Play around with that some, and let me know how you feel about it. We might want to switch to a monospace font to make things line up.

-----------------------------------------

Fixed
  • "Staff will be reviewing it shortly" box shouldn't show for staff edits. [Free.User]
  • Staff edits were still logging to the recent updates queue, even when there was no edit. [Free.User]
  • Credit is given to approving staff member and not the user who made the entry or edit [Seanne]

Pending
  • Error when using Quotes in Notes Field. [Free.User]
  • Only one space between words on a line. [Seanne]

Active Issues
  • Editing tracklists or covers doesn't affect the 'edited by' field. [Seanne]
  • Tracktimes don't move over automatically when adding a new tracklist using the 'text block' feature. [Seanne]
  • Switching between tracklists without reloading the entire page. [Seanne]
Old Aug 30, 2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Free.User -- Can you give me the exact string you were trying to use? Quotes are working fine for me.
On this album's page, I was trying to change the album's notes field to the following (with changes in red):

This soundtrack was released as a free download on 2K's "Cult of Rapture" website.

EDIT: Now that I fiddle around, it seems to give me that error no matter what I do to that particular album.

Last edited by Free.User; Aug 30, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's because I was doing some debugging.

Anyway, the problem is fixed. It was actually the Staff Notes field where I'd forgotten to replace special characters.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 05:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Seanne -- For the notes field, I substituted nbsp's for the spaces, so now you can have multiple spaces. Play around with that some, and let me know how you feel about it. We might want to switch to a monospace font to make things line up.
It seems lines don't come out exactly as you enter them. One or two extra spaces seems to be necessary, but it's not really a big deal I think, just takes a few edits for it to come out right. Also seems like getting straight lines is impossible in some cases (notepad style). This is a lot better than before though, thanks
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I played around a little bit with Monospace fonts (Courier New, Lucida Console), but I really didn't like how any of them looked. If anyone knows of a good one, please let me know.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
I played around a little bit with Monospace fonts (Courier New, Lucida Console), but I really didn't like how any of them looked. If anyone knows of a good one, please let me know.
You really don't have much else to choose from. It's all limited by the client PC's font list, and those are the only two widespread monospace fonts that I know of. For the record, "Consolas" is pretty good, but I think that only comes with Windows Vista and/or Office 2007.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
VGMdb Staff

I agree that it didn't look very good with a different font only for that field (I spotted the Courier New). It's really fine the way it is now
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:41 PM

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but it hasn't been fixed:

After one submits a tracklist, you get redirected to a page that doesn't exist. I know it was fixed for submitting a new album, but tracklists weren't.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, Tracklist Submission is the next big thing for me to work on.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 06:02 AM

This isn't so much a bug, but rather a trivial idea.

Would it be possible to have a "Total Album Duration" field on each tracklist? Albums with multiple discs have disc durations, but not an overall duration of the album.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:10 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Hail there

I just tested a few things, at least all i could do, everything sounds fine to me.

One thing i noticied but i don't know if it's on purpose or not at the moment, but the redirection link for collection while you browse 1 album does not work.
( the "Contained in xx collections" ), it's used to browse who got the title in their collection but it does not work for now.

It's kinda weird to post the tracklist after you posted the album, i was afraid when i saw the empty tracklist information, i realised i could edit it after that..

Maybe you could modify the forms to add tracklists and covers at the same time? Page 1 is catalog, Page 2 is informations, Page 3 tracklist ?

Other than that, it looks awesome and it's just a matter a tweaking now..

I wish i could add scans since i got Gigs for them
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that the collections link is something that'll come a little later, once the core stuff is done. It's a pretty easy page to make.

We could redirect to the trackist page, instead of the album display. I'd like to hear what more people think about that change, first.

I'll get the scan validation queue working tonight, and then you'll be able to upload scans.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

I have a faint memory that I brought this up once in the past, but perhaps we need a new classification that can be used for 'Works' albums? There really isn't a satisfactory one at the moment.

edit: Another thing. Actually it's about spacing again. Would it be possible to make it so that you can have more than one space in between letters in tracklists as well? While not all that many track titles feature multiple spaces, it happens every now and then after all.

edit2: Seems like an entry in the Notes field can't begin with (a) space(s).

Last edited by seanne; Sep 8, 2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

Something I noticed in regards to the "moving over" of tracktimes from one tracklist to another. If you set the second tracklist as default, the one for which the tracktimes have simply been moved over, you'll end up with no tracktimes at all.

Not a big deal as one tends to enter the default (i.e English) tracklist first anyway, but just thought I'd point it out.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

Another small thing. Shouldn't 'Edited by' really be 'Last edit by' or something similar?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There are some issues with the tracktimes, and how everything interacts with them. I really need to rethink how we do it.

I could rig tracklists so that we can have double-spaces. (EDIT - Done. Submission of a text block still strips double space, because it really needs to in order to parse. You can edit them back in using the single track edit.)

I don't want to bother with allowing a space at the beginning of the Notes field. Somewhere, we hit diminishing returns.

I could do "last edit by" instead of "Edited by", though I don't personally have a problem with "Edited by." I'll see what some of the rest of you think about that.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:19 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I could rig tracklists so that we can have double-spaces. (EDIT - Done. Submission of a text block still strips double space, because it really needs to in order to parse. You can edit them back in using the single track edit.)
Thanks, that works great.

Quote:
I don't want to bother with allowing a space at the beginning of the Notes field. Somewhere, we hit diminishing returns.
Alright. Well it shouldn't be a big problem anyway.
Closed Thread