VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:26 AM

Now this is interesting, check out the obi. Is it possible that this is a legit SM release, just like the (much more recent) Resident Evil 2 album?

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Mar 23, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Whoa!

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that this was one of SonMay's earliest releases, before they started using their own catalog stem. 1988 predates the earliest one in our database, which is 1993 (not to say that's when any of these were printed, but it's the earliest possible printing).

EDIT -- Also, this throws a monkey wrench into everything we've been advising people on how to avoid bootlegs.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
Trusted Editor

There is an extensive comparison over here
http://gamemusicfreak.blogspot.com/2...ial-discs.html
It might have just been a mistake they left the real catalog number there, also note the "Made in Japan" on the back.
Unless it mentions "Licensed by Falcom", I doubt that it's legit. SM-39 is Music from Ys I and might be the first game music CD SonMay published.
The year is not earlier than 1991, though.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks, that pretty much clears this one up. I've added the album, and included the pictures.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:43 AM

At least now we know what the obi looks like. This is actually one of the few pirates I'd pay for, as you say it's pretty old, one of the first ones.

(back pic seems to have not uploaded properly)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:50 PM

I believe it's real, but just want to know where the composer breakdown came from. For Ys I, each involved composer (even Takahito Abe included) wrote a track-by-track commentary for a guidebook, but I've not found such a definitive source on Ys II.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I believe it's real, but just want to know where the composer breakdown came from. For Ys I, each involved composer (even Takahito Abe included) wrote a track-by-track commentary for a guidebook, but I've not found such a definitive source on Ys II.
I took it from Ys Music Files, which I guess is still the most reliable source we've found (doesn't one the version have a sound test with composer credits?). There seems to be an e-mail link at the bottom-left of the page though, so maybe he would be willing to share his sources on this, and other things, if asked
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I know it was commonly shared and really wanted to know the original source. On the top of the Ys Music Files page you posted, it states the credits were taken from a fansite that was closed in 2009. I checked the archives of their pages, and while no source was provided either, the way what's confirmed (Ys I&II) and what's not (=Ys II onward) are separated makes me believe it was sourced. Perhaps somebody should send a mail, although I also want to give a [Citation Needed] tag to Hideya Nagata's Wikipedia article (how could one call someone misunderstanding without providing a source?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
(doesn't one the version have a sound test with composer credits?).
Never played Ys games, so can't really comment on it. At least the unused tracks in Ys I had them, as seen in here.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:57 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

My Obi is in pretty rough shape, but I added a photo just so we have an image of the Obi on its own (not connected to the case).
Old Jul 25, 2020, 02:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/stat...44524624076803
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:24 PM
VGMdb Staff

Interesting. So that would mean good old ys music files were almost correct then. REST IN PEACE, PRESSURE ROAD and FEENA are the remaining three tracks we have attributed to him which it then seems he didn't make. I asked him but he didn't know which tracks Ishikawa and Nagata made.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:20 AM

I always took Ys Music Files as gospel considering how thorough tk_nz was with Sorcerian (he was also the director for Wave Master's PC-88VA releases for that game). I can't imagine him asking the same people about Sorcerian and not Ys.

Quote:
REST IN PEACE, PRESSURE ROAD and FEENA are the remaining three tracks we have attributed to him which it then seems he didn't make.
REST IN PEACE and FEENA are both from the first game, so it's possible Koshiro didn't mention them since the discussion was concerning Ys II. As for PRESSURE ROAD, maybe he glossed over it since it's not much of a composition and more just ambient rhythm (his wording also isn't clear if he's only talking about the more well-known tunes). Besides which it's a variation on the beginning part of TO MAKE THE END OF BATTLE (and in the case of some of the remakes, it's literally the same song).

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 27, 2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:00 AM
Trusted Editor

Just noticed there's a reprint of this CD with a different obi. Added scans accordingly.