VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 30, 2019, 09:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
I wish they would cover more unknown games, which aren't that popular like others. Always there will be fan favorites like Final Fantasy, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger. The music isn't bad, by all means, but they've been covered that much in the past and future (Xenogears already has a brand new concert), which makes games like Suikoden simply be overlooked, which is such a shame.

Why not covering Street Fighter 2, Castlevania, Grandia, Vagrant Story or more Mario music. Even Enix back than had gems on the SNES like Rudra's Hidden Treasure (R. Sasai) or Mystic Ark (A. Mori), which are sadly only known for Japanese audience, but had incredible soundtracks. But exactly that's the problem - they're unknown by most of the people and those are not willing to support a project they're unfamiliar with
If they've only moved 800 units from the Kickstarter for Suikoden and need to break 3000 for them to financially justify doing a Suikoden 1 album, it's going to be pretty difficult for them to do any obscure titles.

I would love to see it, too, but if you want to see them, the best thing you can do is support them by purchasing an album. And get more people to do the same.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

At least Suikoden II music is having a bit of a revival right now in Japan. There's been numerous orchestral concerts in the last few months. I think they should be able to sell some copies over there. Hopefully Amazon doesn't screw them over.

They should definitely sell it on all the digital music platforms too, considering digital is more popular in western countries.
Old May 30, 2019, 05:04 PM

Hi!
VGM Classics is of course pursuing possibilities to feature minor but great video games. Of course, it has to be doable in business-wise, so as a label, it must consider to build a solid repertoire first to be able to feature minor games.
Unfortunately, some companies do not want us to go the crowd-funding route thinking it might be a bad publicity if it failed. So, we just can't put the minor game onto Kickstarter and "see-if-it-reaches-its-goal-or-not."

As far as the digital distribution goes, VGM Classics can do it, but it probably might not be able to use so-called popular platforms like Amazon or iTunes. Streaming is currently "no." This is due to the license agreement.

Again, thank you very much for all who have written ideas on this thread. VGM Classics and I have tremendous respects to you and your labor of love given to this site and database.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; May 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 31, 2019, 03:33 AM

And I have tremendous respect for what you are managing to realize there! As mentioned by nextday on the album discussion the turnaround time of 8 months from funding to shipment is pretty good and should help you with future endeavors, so advertise that.

Personally I wonder if it were possible to do some kind of Kickstarter without time limits, i.e. gather the amount of interests in all possible projects and only start actually working on them once a specific amount is passed. So if a project needs 3000 pledges to break even actual work on it would only start once that amount of interest is reached. (I'm aware this may make a lot of niche projects unlikely to be realized. But this way it's transparent for everybody to see which allows additional word of mouth to gather over time. And there is no danger to failure like it's with time limited Kickstarter projects where it's all or nothing which indeed can be a publicity issue.)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:02 PM

This is not VGM Classics related, however, we are please to be informed that SQEX is putting out official Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross orchestra concert (and most likely a recording!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxdeHfWlMtA
Old Jul 24, 2019, 07:49 PM
VGMdb Staff

New project coming soon
Quote:
Our music director just had a meeting with certain right holders of video game music, and a contract detail negotiation has begun. So, we should be able to announce our next project shortly.

As far as "Suikoden 1" project goes, we will have a meeting with the right holders once we get a final sales report from our partner digital download and streaming platforms. But internally, we are committed to do the project. It is a matter of when and how, to be honest (we may start the production without crowd funding, and use it as a “pre-order” for CD only etc…) Anyway, we should have a clear picture in a month or two when we get the report!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2552060
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

After a 2nd meeting with the rights-holders, they were able to close the contract for their next project. Music from a certain RPG game.
Quote:
Another meeting has finished! Expect more video game orchestral projects from us in 2020!
昨日、とあるRPGゲーム作品の権利者の皆様と契約の詰めに向かう2回目のミーティングが行われました。2 020年はさらに多くの音楽をオーケストラ録音できるよう着々と準備中です!お楽しみに!
https://twitter.com/VGMClassics/stat...37146475810816
Old Dec 27, 2019, 09:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

https://twitter.com/VGMClassics/stat...84957119799297
Quote:
A new orchestral recording of J-RPG: Project "G," coming in 2020! Can you guess the title of the video game?

It has to be Grandia, right?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 08:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I can't guess anything based on the background of that image. Too many JRPGs had maps.

Some other JRPGs that begin with "G" based on their Japanese names.

Genso Suikoden
Granstream Saga
Illusion of Gaia (Gaia Gensōki)
Growlanser
GrimGrimoire
Old Jan 5, 2020, 05:06 AM

G could refer to something in the game word too perhaps.

That said, the map there looks pretty specific...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 06:04 AM

The emblem on the top left corner looks like the Garlyle Forces' emblem.

Garlyle Forces emblem on the bottom right: https://i.postimg.cc/gm9P3kmL/1500357972538.gif (Grandia cloth map)
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:49 AM

VGM Classics started a new crowdfunding campaign "Stardew Valley: orchestra CD"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...chestral-cd-cd
This is one of the two projects by VGM Classics. I think I can announce about the other project "Project G" around mid May!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:57 AM

with covid around, it's still possible?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Good luck with the project! I never once listened to Stardew Valley music, and I'm backer #3 just based on the reputation from Suikoden II
So that means Project "G" will be announced around the time this Kickstarter is over.
Stay safe!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:02 AM

project g, grandia?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:18 AM
Trusted Editor

Backer #5 here! And just like Teioh, backed this up because of how good the Suikoden II album was. And can't wait to see what Project G will be (Granstream Saga? Some Kohei Tanaka goodness? :P)
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:41 AM
VGMdb Staff

I just backed it. I was very pleased with how the Suikoden campaign was managed and I'm a fan of Stardew Valley.

I would guess that the coronavirus pandemic will make this one harder to succeed, but hopefully I'm proven wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:19 PM

Thank you all.
Let me explain a bit about Stardew Valley project and Project G.
VGM Classics originally started these projects without crowdfunding in mind. As it was stated on the kickstarter page, unfortunately the recording session in mid March was cut short because of the virus crisis (I was managed to leave Hungary before the flights in-and-out were completely canceled.). The Stardew Valley project was especially affected, and we were only able to record about 25-28min of music, and this was much shorter than we planned. We discussed the situation with the creator of the game, and we decided to go for the crowdfunding direction whether or not we release the album as is, or try to finish the originally planned amount of music.

We were able to record about 55min of "Project G." We discussed the situation with the right holder, and they decided to release the album as it is. They also wish us to wait until about mid May-ish so that they can announce this recording with their other projects.

The main reasons that VGMC did not go for the crowdfunding originally was that the right holders of the two projects were fine for VGMC to represent the arrangements, and release/sell the scores/parts for public performances and study, like "normal" concert music. The orchestras around the world could perform the suites as they were "normal" concert symphonic works. So, your local orchestra can perform it, if they wish to.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
The Stardew Valley project was especially affected, and we were only able to record about 25-28min of music, and this was much shorter than we planned. We discussed the situation with the creator of the game, and we decided to go for the crowdfunding direction whether or not we release the album as is, or try to finish the originally planned amount of music.
Was it not possible to simply re-schedule the additional recording for a later date?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Was it not possible to simply re-schedule the additional recording for a later date?
Dear nextday

Unfortunately, it was not that easy for financial reasons. Due to the unexpected changes, we could not finish everything we planned in Hungary (that includes the already recorded pieces). We are doing additional recordings just to complete recorded music right now, and this additional recordings were not in our original budget...
Since we did not crowdfund to collect initial funding, this put heavy pressure to VGMC (and me) financially.

It was unfortunate that 1) we really could not change the production schedule due to the deadline set by the right holder of one of the projects, and 2) the unexpected cancellations and other changes were notified on the day we arrived in Hungary, so we really had no choice but to do our best there (finding new venues, and etc).

Overall, I have to say that it was one of the toughest recording/travel experience in my life so far...
Old Apr 2, 2020, 03:55 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
It was unfortunate that 1) we really could not change the production schedule due to the deadline set by the right holder of one of the projects, and 2) the unexpected cancellations and other changes were notified on the day we arrived in Hungary, so we really had no choice but to do our best there (finding new venues, and etc).
Wow, on the day you arrived? That's the worst case scenario. Though it's strange that the rights-holder wouldn't postpone the deadline due to the unpredictable circumstances.

By the way, you should probably post an update on the Suikoden II blog to let everyone know that you've started a new project.

Last edited by cal; Apr 2, 2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Though it's strange that the rights-holder wouldn't postpone the deadline due to the unpredictable circumstances.
Well, they too have been working on the project for a year now, so it was very difficult for them to change on the spot... It was a choice between, 1) we try our best there though we know it would go over-budget, or 2) we return it without any materials to work on, wasting money traveling and etc...

Quote:
By the way, you should probably post an update on the Suikoden II blog to let everyone know that you've started a new project.
I will ask VGMC!
Old May 13, 2020, 10:38 AM

1) I am happy to announce that the Stardew Valley orchestra CD crowdfunding successfully reached the stretch goal for a "full" album.

2) Due to the bit of delay on the music right owner's side, VGMC is still holding the detail of "Project G." However, the material has been done, and we are ready to submit it to the CD factory. It will be released in June.

3) For both projects, VGMC will be releasing concert-ready full orchestral scores also, and they are available for study and performance. The new symphonic tales will be able to be performed by any orchestra around the world just like any other normal musical works!
Old May 13, 2020, 01:26 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
1) I am happy to announce that the Stardew Valley orchestra CD crowdfunding successfully reached the stretch goal for a "full" album.

2) Due to the bit of delay on the music right owner's side, VGMC is still holding the detail of "Project G." However, the material has been done, and we are ready to submit it to the CD factory. It will be released in June.

3) For both projects, VGMC will be releasing concert-ready full orchestral scores also, and they are available for study and performance. The new symphonic tales will be able to be performed by any orchestra around the world just like any other normal musical works!
Great news. Two full albums by VGMC in 2 months. I hope Project G can be announced soon.
Old May 24, 2020, 04:17 AM

As many people guessed it, the Project G is;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vp6qUpinc
Old May 26, 2020, 04:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Congratulations on announcement of the new release.
The official website has more samples which all sound great.

I was wondering, what are the options for the European audience to obtain a physical copy of this album? Is Amazon JP shipping to Europe available or is waiting for the Amazon US release the best option? Direct purchase via Paypal at VGM-Classics, like with Suikoden 2, is not planned?
Old May 28, 2020, 06:38 PM

Dear Teioh
At this point, the physical CD distribution would be done by Amazon JP only. VGMC is not sure whether Amazon JP will send the product internationally (as it is depend on the destination country, I think). The information from the Amazon is not clear...
Also, VGMC will not be able to send the physical CD directly due to the fact that Japan Postal Service is currently stopping most of the international service. Similarly, Amazon US distribution will be delayed due to the fact that VGMC will not be able to send the CD to Amazon US...

We will do it eventually, but at this point we just can't say when...
Old May 29, 2020, 03:06 PM

Maybe VGMC could cooperate with Wayô Records for European releases? Maybe Zanasea can chime in whether that's feasible?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 03:21 AM
Trusted Editor

The new VGM Classics video showcases some possible future projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McRoV22JQQM

Being a Snes RPG fan, I'd like to solve immediately

Spoiler:
  1. Secret of Mana - Fear of the Heavens
  2. Terranigma - A Place To Return To
  3. Romancing SaGa 2 - Poem of a Battle Long Ago
  4. Final Fantasy VI - Aria Di Mezzo Carattere
  5. Final Fantasy V - Opening Theme

That being said, I'd trade my kidney for a full album of game #2.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 04:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Quote:
...Pokemon Red/Green & Gold/Silver...
There's probably nothing coming out of this one but I guess I'm not too sad since it's always the same Pokemon games that get arranged. Both of those games have already a bunch of official orchestral arrangements. (Let's go Pikachu/Eevee for R/G and some anime related albums for G/S)
Why does Sapphire/Pearl get no love? I won't even mention the more recent soundtracks. Hell, Pokemon music doesn't even get any love from Nintendo as they refuse to release the soundtrack to Sword/Shield...but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

As a big Suikoden music lover I wouldn't mind more arrangements from the games though. Oh, and if you have to do Final Fantasy, "ざわめく森" from FFIX would be nice. :P

Last edited by AcidBeast; Jun 19, 2020 at 04:27 PM.