VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 1, 2020, 04:37 PM

Default Files Disappearing?

So I looked back at some of my old rips to see what settings I had them set at and realized I didn't even have logs for some of them. No big deal. I was planning on re-ripping them anyway. I stumbled across some CDs I don't own anymore that I swear I saved the logs for (I have a .cue and .m3u8 to go with it). Now I'm paranoid.

Does Windows 7 or antivirus programs have any reason to remove these files. I meticulously back things up. Unfortunately that also means overwriting my folders with albums that now seem to be missing logs.

Also all my archived music folders say they were created 12/26/2019 for some reason, so it's hard to put them in the order they were actually ripped.

Is there a way to prevent a file from being deleted?

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Jan 1, 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 06:35 PM
Trusted Editor

You need to troubleshoot your own workstation, files don't just randomly delete themselves. No one can tell you what's doing it, if that's even the case.

I will say that EAC does not write the log file if you don't click the OK button at the end of ripping. I've had instances where I ripped an album overnight and windows update rebooted the workstation after EAC was just sitting at the extraction complete window and the log won't be there.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 08:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe some cleaning software you have is set to routinely delete *.log files? That does seem to be a common filter.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 08:58 PM

Cool.

Is there a setting I can check off on a file that prevents it from being deleted or moved? Whether it be an antivirus or accidentally being dragged into another folder? Kind of like how Read-only prevents editing?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 02:59 AM
Trusted Editor

I store my files on a ext4 filesystem (Linux-based NAS), and I have several measures in place:
- every album contains a checksum file (either MD5 or SHA256 based)
- all files and leaf directories are read-only
- all files and leaf directories have the immutable flag set (hence you cannot accidentally remove the read-only property)
- the filesystem itself is mounted read-only

Gives me a good mix of security (against user errors) and convenience, since I can still put new albums on the storage just by remounting the filesystem in read-write mode.

Depending on your OS some of the measures might apply.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 05:09 AM

When I first saw the topic I thought this would be about them not showing up in the first place after ripping -- there's a simple reason for that, the file name was too long for it to be created.
Did you actually check the logs existence at the time or did you just rip them and assume the logs were there? Could be that issue if the later.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 09:38 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
When I first saw the topic I thought this would be about them not showing up in the first place after ripping -- there's a simple reason for that, the file name was too long for it to be created.
Did you actually check the logs existence at the time or did you just rip them and assume the logs were there? Could be that issue if the later.
MAX_PATH is 260 on pretty much every Windows OS but you can opt-in to disable it in Windows 10 and use long paths. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../naming-a-file

This works for everyone unless you're @Alcahest, who is probably still running Windows XP :P

Last edited by dancey; Jan 2, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 06:05 PM

Oh yeah, I should probably mention I'm using Windows 7.

I have had issues with long filenames, but only when saving to a backup hard drive. I should probably move my audio archive closer to the C:/ drive. Right now it's C:\Users\James C\Documents\

Anyway, when I first started using EAC I only saved the .log and it was later on that I started saving .cue and .m3u. So seeing albums missing only the .log seemed suspicious. Today I found a two-disc album with only one log for the second disc! Now I'm convinced these have been deleted! If it were my antivirus it was likely Avast! which I don't use anymore anyway.

I'm copying all my .log files and saving the copies with .eac extensions until I can figure out a better method.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You could also try to recover your log files by the way. They may still be lingering on the physical media, just flagged as deleted. It's been a while since I've used specialized software for this, but it does work from time to time. Nowadays, I would just use IsoBuster since it's my go-to software for examining discs, and just happens to have "find missing files" functionality. But recovery software are a dime a dozen nowadays; there's also Recuva, which is free.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 02:36 AM

For me, artist name field was the culprit (artist field had too many names leading to logs with very long filenames so the .log file end up not being created. Solution: check the artist field before doing your rips.