VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:16 PM

I'm quite excited for this one! I hope Hirota features a bunch of styles (like his other vocal themes), but I want to hear Shadow Hearts Hirota the most.

Tracklisting found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/yorlga-%E5%B...0239320&sr=1-1

So, according to Google translate, "song 11" is just a place holder that says there will be 12 songs total...?

Last edited by Don; Apr 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:35 PM

Yeah, the tracklist will be replaced later as this album is supposed to have twelve tracks in total (Amazon itself says their current one that lists only eleven tracks is tentative). I also plan to add ёрлга as the original title and push the current Japanese title into the alternate, if ёрлга is a correct transcription of what the front cover shows. I have zero knowledge on Russian.

Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I also plan to add ёрлга as the original title and push the current Japanese title into the alternate, if ёрлга is a correct transcription of what the front cover shows. I have zero knowledge on Russian.
ёрлга should be correct, as that can be romanized into yorlga (ё=yo, р=r, л=l, г=g, а=a). Not sure what it means though.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:18 PM

An interview here includes a fairly lengthy sample.

http://www.team-e.co.jp/sp/archive/y...nterview1.html

Actually, not sure if that is a sample or not. The sample on the second interview is their collaboration on Message, so I presume it might be an old song.

Last edited by Don; Apr 3, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
ёрлга should be correct, as that can be romanized into yorlga (ё=yo, р=r, л=l, г=g, а=a). Not sure what it means though.
Thanks. I'm still not sure how to add the artists to the album title well, so if somebody thinks [/ noriko mitose. yoshitaka hirota] is better (or faithful), please go ahead and edit it.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:21 AM

I talked with a Russian co-worker of mine today and she said that although it uses the Cyrillic alphabet, the word is definitely not of Russian origin. She said that the letter <ё> rarely starts a Russian word.

Looking at Wikipedia, I found this out though:

It does however occur (as a discrete character) in the Cyrillic alphabets used by Mongolian and many Caucasian and Turkic languages.

The letter <ё> is normally used to transcribe the Japanese <よ> into Russian Cyrillic.

Sorry for the minor language lesson, but the whole idea of how this album got its title is intriguing to me. Surely it means something, but it's not of Russian descent...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think we should change the name to "yolrga" without "Noriko Mitose", like other concept albums such as Kinema or murmur. I think it makes it look like it's a single right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Sorry for the minor language lesson, but the whole idea of how this album got its title is intriguing to me. Surely it means something, but it's not of Russian descent...
In the interview they comment "yorlga" (yoruga) is some kind of fictitious, mysterious mineral meaning "sleep crystal" (I guess?) deeply connected with the album's story. I guess they went with Russian for style points.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:45 PM

Well, then, that explains it! Mystery solved. I'm still looking forward to this album immensely though. Published Hirota works are always a thing to look forward to (in my opinion).
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I think we should change the name to "yolrga" without "Noriko Mitose", like other concept albums such as Kinema or murmur. I think it makes it look like it's a single right now.
Either way is totally fine by me (as my preference is not to add it, to begin with ), but note there are also some concept albums that have artist names, like Tindharia no Tane or Forest of Glass, and don't compilation albums on this database often include the artist names (mostly, vocalists)? So I personally don't think it particularly makes an album look like a single, but then again, I do see why you want to remove this and I think I'd let others do as they please, since some people might prefer to keep it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 05:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Either way is totally fine by me (as my preference is not to add it, to begin with ), but note there are also some concept albums that have artist names, like Tindharia no Tane or Forest of Glass, and don't compilation albums on this database often include the artist names (mostly, vocalists)? So I personally don't think it particularly makes an album look like a single, but then again, I do see why you want to remove this and I think I'd let others do as they please, since some people might prefer to keep it.
Well, since I understand the main feature of these concept albums is "vocalist + vgm composer" I don't think it's too fair to have only Mitose there (same with Tindharia, though Forest of glass is ok since Sakuraba was alone), if it was a solo album/single where the vocalist matters more I guess it'd be ok. But in this case I'd use either both names or none.

But you are right, there were more albums like than I remembered so let's wait to see what others think (or if nobody really cares I'll go ahead and change it later :P).
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Well, since I understand the main feature of these concept albums is "vocalist + vgm composer" I don't think it's too fair to have only Mitose there (same with Tindharia, though Forest of glass is ok since Sakuraba was alone), if it was a solo album/single where the vocalist matters more I guess it'd be ok.
I for one don't think VGM composers matter less in a solo album/single than a concept album (although who matters is subjective). I agree we probably can't call Mitose as the only noteworthy contributor of this album, but it's rather like there being more artists who can also represent the whole product than the product in question being a concept album, and it should be determined on a case-by-case basis. For instance, I think it's fine to add only Shimotuki to Tindharia (and Griotte, for that matter) because [ / Haruka Shimotsuki] is explicitly printed on the obi scan. I wouldn't say how the scan states is absolute, though, because I don't want to see Kato's name on KiRite.

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to argue with you, since we're in agreement that the removal is better. I just tend to think it's on ground that the addition of artist names is expected to serve as the mark mostly for typical J-Pop CDs which relatively fewer people would be interest in, and not for some non-VGM albums from VGM composers like this entry.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:14 AM

I personally dislike this trend, but I've always been of the opinion that the album title should be the name of the album and nothing else (did we ever decide whether [title] / [artist] was to be part of the title guideline?) There are some albums that do explicitly list the title in that form though, yes.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

What we decided upon, and what was added to the guidelines, is this:
Quote:
A slash (/) may also be used at the submitter's discretion to include the artist's name on an artist album, as Title / Artist.
This case is more tricky, but based on the cover, I think it should be either both names or no names.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
An interview here includes a fairly lengthy sample.

http://www.team-e.co.jp/sp/archive/y...nterview1.html

Actually, not sure if that is a sample or not. The sample on the second interview is their collaboration on Message, so I presume it might be an old song.
Just to go back to these samples: the first one is 天の鈴 (ten no suzu) from Noriko Mitose's album Yoruotohyouhon. Are there even real samples of this album? I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:26 AM

Tried to edit the existing tracklist, but it only allowed the first 11 to go through. Got the official tracklisting from:

http://www.tts-products.co.jp/yorlga/info/

Created a new Japanese tracklist. Please delete old one.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Done
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:09 AM

Hirota's tweets re: the name:

"@DonKotowski Exactly. <yorlga (yoruga)> is a name of the fictional ore."
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I had asked him what it meant and then found out via Dag's translation of the interview. So I told him I found out what it meant and he basically confirmed.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A photo of the Mastered Disc (1 month before release date), ready to be sent off to Manufacturing.
http://twitpic.com/1gsuv8
It also provides the track times on the left, but can't quite read the last entry...
(the start of the mastering session, 3 hours prior... http://twitpic.com/1grz6x)

Last edited by Carl; Apr 19, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

And finally, two samples! If my hears are not deceiving me, Akihisa Tsuboy is here as well. Obviously.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
And finally, two samples! If my hears are not deceiving me, Akihisa Tsuboy is here as well. Obviously.
They're not deceiving you:

kulko_yk: "@DonKotowski Exactly!! > Tsuboy-san"
Old May 3, 2010, 01:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ok I changed it to simply "yorlga", since in the website and Amazon is listed mainly as such and most seem to agree.
But the sample page has "yorlga / みとせのりこ・弘田佳孝", I'm okay with that too, feel free to change it. Just not Mitose alone please :/

Btw they updated the samples, good stuff.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:52 AM

Added performance credits, etc. I'm pretty sure that kulko is an alias of Hirota, given his twitter account, plus he is known to play bass.