VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:55 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Can anyone explain why there is 2 english translation for that album? (and why track 1 is romanized if it's "english"..)
Is one of them printed on the back cover like the other budokai album? (z&z2)

Seems like you need to pick a few from both to get a correct tracklist.

Last edited by Myrkul; Mar 30, 2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a bit of explanation on Wikipedia:

Like the game's previous two installments Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Z 2, the names of various music tracks were changed when it was released in English speaking countries as Budokai 3 for localization. The name changes are as follows:

1.The Ultimate Energy!!
11.Step On It
22.Warning
24.Chaos
26.Sky High
Old May 30, 2012, 10:02 PM

It's hard to say from the book who to credit for some of the tracks between the LA Session and the Tokyo Session. The liner notes directly credit Steve Lukather and the T.O.P. Horns Section (LA) to "Ultimate Energy" and "Great Tactics". I believe the trumpet soloist on the T.O.P./LA Session Horns to be Mike Bogart as he's the 1st Trumpet in the T.O.P.

Tower of Power's website credit themselves on "The Ultimate Energy", "Shuffle Time", "24 -7 Crazy," and "Great Tactics" and it's likely the LA Sessions were in on those as well.

However, some of the Tokyo musicians like Jun Kajiwara did guitar solos on some of the T.O.P. Horns backed tracks ("Shuffle Time" and "24 -7 Crazy") which probably means they mixed sessions, making it difficult to credit individually.

I suppose this means the rest of the tracks (with horns and instrument solos) were handled by the Tokyo musicians. I'm inclined to believe the soloists in Z3 on trumpet and trombone were Hirata and Matsui respectively seeing as they were later credited as players and had solos on the later "Burst Limit" disc.

I've outlined the solo credits as I hear them...

We Go Nuts ~Restless Night~
Soprano Sax (Solo): Toshihiko Furumura

Impulse To Victory
Trumpet (Solo): Naoki Hirata

Under The Gibbous Moon
Trombone (Solo): Akihito Masui

Fortitude ~Indomitable Spirit~
Tenor Sax (Solo): Toshihiko Furumura

Hand-In-Hand Fight
Trombone (Solo): Akihito Masui

12AM Shuffle
Tenor Sax (Solo): Emilio Castillo
Mute Trumpet (Solo): Mike Bogart

24-7 Crazy

The Greatest Tactics In the Universe ~Great Tactics~
Trumpet (Solo): Mike Bogart

http://www.towerofpower.com/discography/hornsection/

Last edited by XISMZERO; May 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 05:22 AM

From Steve Lukather's website, guitars played between himself and Jun Kajiwara. Interesting info about the sessions and buttload of money paid for a 3-hour session.

Steve Lukather - guitars (6, 7, 8, 17, 19, 22, 23, 25)
06 Under the Gibbous Moon
07 Fortitude ~Indomitable Spirit~
08 Hand-in-Hand Fight
17 Night of Tempest
19 Blazing Outsiders
22 Evil Power
23 Ultimatum
25 Greatest Tactics
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
There's a bit of explanation on Wikipedia:

Like the game's previous two installments Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Z 2, the names of various music tracks were changed when it was released in English speaking countries as Budokai 3 for localization. The name changes are as follows:

1.The Ultimate Energy!!
11.Step On It
22.Warning
24.Chaos
26.Sky High
I'm a bit confused about that comment from Wikipedia. As far as I can recall I don't believe that there were any sound players in the Budakai games until the Tenkaichi series, so where exactly does that statement regarding the localized titles come from? Was it stated somewhere in this or the Dragon Ball Z & Z2 Original Soundtrack's booklets or something?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:01 AM

The official English titles are on the album's back cover. I think the guy just assumed they came from the international versions of the game. Didn't play it but some people claim there is a sound test (though probably not for the music?).
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:15 AM
Trusted Editor

I guess it's proper that this album be updated since Yamamoto actually worked directly with members of both Toto and ToP, so that sort of lessens the plagiarism :P
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
The official English titles are on the album's back cover. I think the guy just assumed they came from the international versions of the game. Didn't play it but some people claim there is a sound test (though probably not for the music?).
The "Memories of" capsules are just for unlocking character voice data. I took a look through Budokai 1-3 as well as the first Budokai Tenkaichi and it appears that none of them feature a BGM player.

I'm aware of the English titles on the back, but does the booklet elaborate on their purpose? I mean, presumably they're meant to be the English version of the titles, but that brings into question why there's a couple that are seemingly unrelated to their original titles ("勝利への疾走" & "俺はとことん止まらない!!") despite the rest matching up.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Feb 8, 2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:59 PM

Artistic license and being mindful of an international audience.