VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2010, 06:48 AM

Cool vgm petition

152 Signitures so far! This petition is for Video Game Soundtracks on Classic FM.

We have already had signitures from many composers from TV, FILM and GAME including Tommy Tallarico, Graeme Norgate, Andrew Barnabas, Paul Arnold (Bob & Barn), Richard Jacques, Tim Wright, Andrew Barnabas, Grant Kirkhope, Mike Beckett. I have already had a positive reaction from Simon Bates who thinks this is a ''fantastic idea''.

Classic FM already plays Film Scores, music from Disney, Jazz and Coldplay.

If you would like to hear music from Video Game soundtracks and concerts on Classic FM please sign this petition.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/wonderfulmusic/

When we get enough signatures I will present it to the necessary people.

Last edited by saltlick; Apr 1, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your help. We are at 152 signatures.

The latest news is that Tommy Tallarico has signed.

Others include Graeme Norgate, Andrew Barnabas, Paul Arnold (Bob & Barn), Richard Jacques, Tim Wright, Andrew Barnabas, Grant Kirkhope, Mike Beckett.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:31 PM

No No No No...Just No.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You gotta give a more substantial argument than that =)
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:31 AM

This thread already came up at vgmusic. As you can see, I replied to it.

I think it's an interesting topic. As things are right now it's understandable that film soundtracks are played on Classic FM, because the majority are orchestral and fit with the Classic FM's mission statement. It makes it pretty easy for them to say "we play film soundtracks", cut & dried. I think similar songs from videogames could reasonably be aired on the station, but we know music in games is a far more diverse medium - orchestral style music doesn't even account for the majority of game music. So hypothetically if Classic FM were to adopt playing VGM as well, you can bet the only material they would play would be from the most popular film-esque scores, and then, probably only scores from the west due to licensing funtimes. I think in a way something like that could be damaging, and give the wrong impression about video game music as a whole to people who may not know any more about it. Really, I am in two minds about it. It's a nice idea that I am sure will happen in some form or another eventually, just concerned that by VGM they really mean an extremely narrow band of VGM that can be deemed socially acceptable/highbrow enough for their station.

But like I said at vgmusic, if the station is happy to play Coldplay they might as well air just about anything.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:09 AM

and they are supposed to buy vgm cds for that or ask/rent cds?
or you think they could use some itunes or illegal download platforms to broadcast tunes (just wondering)

because, honestly, I don't think vgm has enough impact amongst "normal" people to deserve that broadcast (I'm not against the idea) unlike movie/disney soundtracks which can be better known, no?