VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:09 PM

If I remember correctly a USB drive of a tachikoma came with this release which had extra music and omakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_o..._Alone_Complex

Paraphrasing from wikipedia

Stand Alone Complex O.S.T.4 is the fourth original soundtrack of the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime series, the album was released in Stand Alone Complex CD-BOX, which includes the first three Stand Alone Complex soundtracks, be Human album, and the Solid State Society soundtrack along with a Tachikoma-style USB memory stick featuring previously unreleased music from Tachikomatic Days, as well as voice clips, images and video.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 01:20 AM

shouldn't be O.S.T.4- with the "minus" symbol after the 4?
because the box scan shows it and there is no space after the 4, so I don't think it's like the "/" separator
plus, some sites have mainasu written in brackets (like production i.g)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 05:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, it should include the minus along with the rest of the text that follows.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:27 AM

cd catalogues: VICY-241~5, VICY-252
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Going to clean up some of the credits on this album. I don't have any reason to doubt their accuracy, it looks like it's just pulled from the other existing albums which are already accurate. My guess is no one bothered to scan the inserts because they're impossible to read unless you put a black piece of paper behind it. Most of it is just lyrics for the vocal songs but there are credits at the end of each disc break.

Am also going to clean up the tracklist and title case the tracks that are translated

Here is the original, in case rollback is required:

Quote:
Disc 1: O.S.T.+ (VICL-61231)
============================
words:
Tim Jensen (01, 09, 17, 18)
Gabriela Robin (03, 07, 13)
troy (05, 08, 16)
Origa/Shanti Snyder (11)
Chris Mosdell (14)
Origa (18)

vocals:
HIDE (01)
Ilaria Graziano (05, 08, 16)
Scott Matthew (09, 14)
Origa (11)
Jillmax (17)

music: Yoko Kanno

Disc 2: O.S.T.2 (VICL-61232)
All music composed by Yoko Kanno

Vocals by:
----------
Gabriela Robin = 01
Origa = 02
Ilaria Graziano = 05,16
Jillmax = 08
Scott Matthew = 10
Emily Curtis = 11
Steve Conte and Shanti Snyder = 12

Lyrics by:
----------
Gabriela Robin = 01
Tim Jensen = 02,08,10,11
Ilaria Graziano = 05,16
Shanti Snyder = 12

Disc 3: O.S.T.3 (VICL-61695)
words:
chris mosdell (01)
gabriela robin (02, 16)
shanti snyder (10)
tim jensen (13)
ilaria graziano (17)

vocal:
scott matthew (01, 13)
gabriela robin (02)
origa, benedict delmaestro (16)
ilaria graziano (10, 17)

all music by yoko kanno

Disc 4: SOLID STATE SOCIETY O.S.T. (VICL-62172)
===============================================
all music by Yoko Kanno

vocal:
Origa with Heartsdales (01)
Ilaria Graziano (02, 08)
Gabriela Robin (07, 13)
Origa (12)

words:
Origa (01, 12)
Gabriela Robin (02, 07, 13)
Tim Jensen (08)

Disc 5: be Human (VICL-61217)
=============================
all music by Yoko Kanno

vocal:
Scott Matthew (01, 02)
HIDE (11)
SUNNY (15)
tachikoma (16)
sakiko tamagawa (18)

words:
troy (01)
Tim Jensen (02, 15)
HIDE (11)
yoshiki sakurai (18)

Disc 6: O.S.T.4- Smooth in the Shell (VIZL-256)
==========================
???
Old Jan 14, 2018, 01:00 PM
Trusted Editor

- The credits are one giant run-on sentence broken up with ・ and /. I line breaked every time a ・ happened for readability
- I added a couple spaces of padding in the jillmax group of OST2 to indicate that the credits are still part of the jillmax group
- most of the / separators between artists are space / space, however any time the / is preceded by a right bracket (]), it doesn't have a leading space. don't know why but I maintained that formatting
- i added an extra space before the "musicians" section to logically separate it from the rest of the credits, though this does not exist in the inserts (one big run-on)
- the two instances of "glaziano" are sic
- on Disc 6 credits, the lack of a space after the comma in last,first in some of the artist names is sic

Original credits unknown source / errors:

- Disc 1, M7 "words: gabriela robin". Can't find source credit, not on OST1 scans
- Disc 1, M16 "words: troy". Sourced from OST1 but not credited in this box set.
- Disc 4, M2 the box set credits vocal and lyrics to Gabriela Robin, the original OST credits vocals to Ilaria Graziano. I am not sure which is correct

*edit* 1/14 10:59 EST

- Added DISCIDs so disc 6 would freedb query from disc correctly
- Translation ("Tachikomans") for D5M18 came from the English iTunes release.

Last edited by dancey; Jan 14, 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 01:04 PM
Trusted Editor

I did some edits on GiTS SAC OST+, so I can easily explain my edits.

As written in notes, some artists are not credited, mostly Gabriela Robin as vocalist on all her tracks (3, 7 and 13). Origa vocal credits for track 18 are also missing.

Source for uncredited stuff are by logic not on release itself... but is there any sense to put lyricist for track 3 and 13 without a vocalist? And vocal for track 16 without a lyricist? No, of course. Not to me.

Track 7 is more touchy; there's only a "music: Yoko Kanno" in booklet but one can definitely hear singer starting at 2:02. So definitely not a music but a song.

At first, I found this cross interview: http://www.kokaku-s.com/sac/backstag...002/index.html
You can see singers are all in brackets. That already confirmed singer for all these tracks.

Finally JASRAC gives credits for all of them, lyricist, composer, singer. Check by yourself.

So, in the light of this, I put credits followed by "[uncredited]" as staff told me.

We can do same here in notes; something like:
M3 vocal: gabriela robin [uncredited] words: gabriela robin
M7 vocal & words: gabriela robin [uncredited]
M13 vocal: gabriela robin [uncredited] words: gabriela robin
M16 vocal: ilaria graziano words: troy [uncredited]

About disc 4, M2, same check JASRAC if you want but only by ears you know it's Ilaria Graziano. Gabriela Robin has a quite different voice/tone. According to JASRAC again, Ilaria Graziano is the only one artist registered to have sung this song until today.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 01:27 PM
Trusted Editor

Specifically to answer the one question in your post:

Quote:
but is there any sense to put lyricist for track 3 and 13 without a vocalist? And vocal for track 16 without a lyricist?
My opinion is yes. It is credited that way in the inserts, therefore it should be in the Album Info section.

I have no issue with you not thinking it should be but I've always been an Album Info purist in that whatever goes in the Album Info section is primarily what is printed in the physical medium, verbatim (including errors). I tried for a long time to maintain formatting as best I could but it's almost impossible without a monospaced font and I got tired of pressing spacebar hundreds of times and trying to visually line stuff up. So now I try to maintain formatting as best I can, and sometimes adding ':' in front of section breaks and comma separating artists that might normally be broken up on multiple lines in a 3-column insert page.

If anything is added after the fact that doesn't exist in the physical medium(s) inserts, whether it's a correction, addendum, addition, deletion, omission, speculative credit, etc, it's fine to put in the album info as long as it's stated as such and separate from the actual verbatim, transcribed album information.

Also, I don't really have anything against speculative or assumptive crediting of songs but it really, really helps if you post something in an album discussion thread stating such, with sources (as you've done) what you've edited/added and based on what. That wasn't done here but it's done on a lot of albums.

I don't mind if you put that information back in the Album Info section but I would (personally) prefer it in a section that isn't part of the transcribed inserts, since it isn't printed that way. If we want to add a small section at the bottom that says which credits are uncredited or missing from this album that works for me.

The Album Info diff function on the site, while much improved from what it was years ago, still only goes so far in explaining edits. This is why I try to document every change I make to an album so that 10 years down the road if someone sees something and tries to correct it, they (hopefully) read the thread and understand why something was done that way. Or even if not just to spark discussion about something for the trusted users and staff that read unread posts since last visit every day.

Again, not trying to blame, point fingers, or call anything out as wrong. This is why I post those kinds of things, in case anyone has an argument for or against it or wants to add/remove things from what I changed. Let me know how you want to handle it.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 01:19 PM
Trusted Editor

I didn't mean to argue with the way you work or your edits the but simply tried to give answer to your question about 3 tracks.

Sticking to booklet is good, going further means no harm IMHO.

To me, anybody looking for quick answer to whom is singer/songwriter/lyricist for a specific track should be able to find the answer directly in notes. Many times, edit sources are lost (pictures or webpages no more available after a few years).

Now where to put these uncredited credits, it's up to you, your edits; no guideline for such things. Sometimes, it's directly next to credits (http://vgmdb.net/album/36847 )sometimes as an extra footnote (http://vgmdb.net/album/23876).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 02:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Pretty much everything comes down to personal preference . I prefer a separate section, outside of the transcribed inserts. I can see why some people might prefer near the same credit(s) in the transcribed notes, though. I use the site primarily as a database of works/artists and try to maintain the accuracy and integrity of that database. Other people just use it as a means of tagging their music or maintaining their collection list. There's nothing wrong with any of that but difference preferences are going to change how you use and consume the information.

It also comes down to the fact that I'm editing an album that is 11 years old. Because there are no guidelines, no real way to lock an album from being updated, and no real agreeable way to consider a lock (at what point?), it's mostly a free for all. Someone can come by in another 5 years and change anything here and no one would notice. Had I not posted a discussion, you probably wouldn't have noticed either (which is precisely why I post). The only reason I even notice these things is because I'm slowly (very slowly) ripping my physical collection and I just update the database as I get to albums and compare to what I have in front of me, or add / update new ones as they come in.

I agree with the edit sources being lost. Any time I pull a significant amount of information from another source (image or web), I try to quote it in the discussion thread for historical purposes.

Anyway, less ranting, more doing!

Do you want to update it or do you want me to? I get the feeling that you probably have a better grasp on the series artists and soundtracks than I do. As far as I could tell, the 3 notes that I posted (D1M3, D1M16, D4M2) plus the ones that you pointed out (D1M7, D1M13) are the only ones I could find not already being credited in the inserts.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 01:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Done!

Less talk, more doing! (to paraphrase you )

I added notes as an extra footnote in the style of what CHz did for the Shin Hokuto Musou CD.
That way your work is left untouched, mirroring booklet and people can still find information directly on the entry page.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 01:33 PM
Trusted Editor

Perfect, thanks so much for your help and insight!