VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:37 PM

So how does ジジ directly translate into Geetz anyway? Last I checked it sounds and looks more like Jiji.

Geetz would look more like this, right?
ギェトス

EDIT (4:22 PM): Nevermind. Forget I said anything. ジジ is Geetz, ジジイ is Jiji, and ギェトス is more like Gatz.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 20, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
VGMdb Staff

I doubt ジジ is intended to translate into Geetz since, as you say, it would literally be Jiji. ジジイ being Jijii. But anyway, Geetz seems to be the name used in the English localized version, so perhaps this translation was based upon that.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I doubt ジジ is intended to translate into Geetz since, as you say, it would literally be Jiji. ジジイ being Jijii. But anyway, Geetz seems to be the name used in the English localized version, so perhaps this translation was based upon that.
I was thinking since ランド means land and not "lando" despite ド meaning "do," I thought the same would be true here, with ジジ becoming Jij, which could also be spelt Gij, which stretched out becomes Geej, which sounds close enough to Geetz.

I haven't been able to find any videos of the game in Japanese where his name is said to confirm this, though :[

EDIT (10:52 PM):

Despite the poor spellings on this site (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...%E3%83%B3DASH2), I found out that Gatz is apparently Gaga (ガガ) in the original. Oddly enough, I looked up Lady Gaga afterward and the same symbols were used in her name as well.

Looks like it is Jiji after all.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 27, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:35 PM

I made this edit; here is a page on the character:

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Geetz

"Jiji" was originally there, I thought that translated into "Geetz," which the character indeed goes by in the game. It is also one hell of a track. It just seemed kind of lame for everything else to be in English with that track left like that, but again it may not be literally correct.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 20, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
I made this edit; here is a page on the character:

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Geetz

"Jiji" was originally there, I thought that translated into "Geetz," which the character indeed goes by in the game. It is also one hell of a track. It just seemed kind of lame for everything else to be in English with that track left like that, but again it may not be literally correct.
Technically a fair amount of it [and Dash 1] is German (ex. Gustaff, Gesselschaft, Gemeinschaft, Blumebear, Ferdinand, Marlwolf, Drache, Jagd Krabbe), but I get what you're saying.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 21, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Technically a fair amount of it [and Dash 1] is German (ex. Gustaff, Gesselschaft, Gemeinschaft, Blumebear, Ferdinand, Marlwolf, Drache, Jagd Krabbe), but I get what you're saying.
Yeah, I know. I always thought it was cool how the names of the Bonne Machines took their names from German war machines. The names are pretty thrashed on the Freeton pressing of Dash 1 (as well as the Reaverbot names).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:11 AM

I found the scans for the artbook that comes with the CD. Would it be fair to post the scans?

I'll go ahead and post them anyway, and worry about copyrights later.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 06:31 PM

I'm just going to place this here:

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/product...-man-legends-2

Yeah, I already ordered it.