VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 22, 2020, 08:26 AM

Sorry, what's the source for this? I don't see any official posts about this release on Square's Music account or in general.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 08:33 AM

I see it's popped up on CDJapan but I don't know much more than that. Seems to have come out of the left field!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 09:13 AM

woah so sudden! yeah just found the listing from Square Enix's Japan eStore too
https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/SQEX_10824_7.html

Sorry, didnt mean to sound accusatory or anything didnt wanna overexcite myself for a second there

Thanks for pointing this out!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 09:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Funny how we mentioned it in another thread a few days ago!

Square Enix's description says it mostly comprises cutscene music, as expected.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure I handle any more music from this game. The soundtrack is already too big. I'll probably but it anyway though (haven't played the game yet). I'm more interested in the acoustic album though.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petev21 View Post
I'm not sure I handle any more music from this game. The soundtrack is already too big. I'll probably but it anyway though (haven't played the game yet). I'm more interested in the acoustic album though.
lol you should definitely play the game first, it was the main reason why I appreciated the OST so much. There were so many rearrangements that were left out from the OST that I'm assuming are gonna be in this FF7R Plus album, like the major key version of Anxiety or all the variations of the battle tracks that didn't get blended into the OST versions.

I hope they add some extended versions too of some of the OST tracks, though there's still so many tracks unaccounted for I doubt they'll have space.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 01:43 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Preordered! I can’t get over how massive FF7R’s soundtrack is. Even playing through the entire game I didn’t notice just how much unique music there was used throughout.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:21 PM

Wow, nice surprise as we were talking about it in the other thread.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 09:41 PM

Is there any difference in the "Jenova - Quickening" track here and the one on the first soundtrack?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:14 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneofyourbusiness View Post
Is there any difference in the "Jenova - Quickening" track here and the one on the first soundtrack?
They seem to be identical. They have the exact same length and when I listen to both back to back, even skipping around to random parts of each file, there doesn't seem to be any variation. If there's any difference at all, the one on the OST Plus is probably mastered slightly differently to conform to overall flow and loudness of the rest of the album.

"Airbuster" seems to be the same on both albums too.

Maybe they just added some of the more popular tracks from the OST in order to fill the discs up and provide them for people who didn't buy the OST but bought the OST Plus. Not sure why else they would include them.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 07:16 AM

So, basically, this looks like our traditional 4-disc soundtrack like it has always been since Final Fantasy VII and onward (not counting recent installments like FFXIV with multiple albums or blu-ray releases). Another touch of nostalgia, at least for me didn't get a chance to listen to it yet tho.

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Dec 25, 2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 07:42 AM
Trusted Editor

The Following tracks appear to be near-exact duplicates from the first soundtrack and have identical audio signatures (same AcoustIDs):
  • Let the Battles Begin! - A Merc's Job
  • The Airbuster
  • Infinity's End
  • The Valkyrie
  • J-E-N-O-V-A - Quickening
  • Rufus Shinra
  • The Arsenal
Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:29 AM

Did they include arranger breakdowns in the liner notes again? I suspect most of them can be guessed based on the full OST but it's always nice to have.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 01:08 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Did they include arranger breakdowns in the liner notes again? I suspect most of them can be guessed based on the full OST but it's always nice to have.
Yes, it has full credits. I haven’t added any images from the booklet because the pages are super glossy. Since I use a camera, not a scanner, I just leave products like this for someone who can get a cleaner image. I did add some images of the discs though.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
They seem to be identical. They have the exact same length and when I listen to both back to back, even skipping around to random parts of each file, there doesn't seem to be any variation. If there's any difference at all, the one on the OST Plus is probably mastered slightly differently to conform to overall flow and loudness of the rest of the album.

"Airbuster" seems to be the same on both albums too.

Maybe they just added some of the more popular tracks from the OST in order to fill the discs up and provide them for people who didn't buy the OST but bought the OST Plus. Not sure why else they would include them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
The Following tracks appear to be near-exact duplicates from the first soundtrack and have identical audio signatures (same AcoustIDs):
  • Let the Battles Begin! - A Merc's Job
  • The Airbuster
  • Infinity's End
  • The Valkyrie
  • J-E-N-O-V-A - Quickening
  • Rufus Shinra
  • The Arsenal
Thank you both!
Old Dec 26, 2020, 01:02 PM

And do both "Midgar Expressway" from the first soundtrack and "Midgar Expressway - Long Ver." from this soundtrack appear in the game separately, or was the first one just a shaving down of the track?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 01:49 PM

The original one just has some parts taken out compared to the long version.

I'm the kind of nerd who'll go through and see what's different, so I loaded them up, converted them to mono, panned one hard right and the other hard left, then did whatever edits I needed to make them match up.

Spoiler:

The standard version has a little bit of a riser effect to transition into the cuts. The mixing seems a little different between both versions, too, with the drums being a little more prominent in the long version.

EDIT: Just did the same comparison with Airbuster and Jenova Quickening. They're completely identical as far as I can tell.

Last edited by JRokujuushi; Dec 26, 2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRokujuushi View Post
The original one just has some parts taken out compared to the long version.

I'm the kind of nerd who'll go through and see what's different, so I loaded them up, converted them to mono, panned one hard right and the other hard left, then did whatever edits I needed to make them match up.

Spoiler:

The standard version has a little bit of a riser effect to transition into the cuts. The mixing seems a little different between both versions, too, with the drums being a little more prominent in the long version.

EDIT: Just did the same comparison with Airbuster and Jenova Quickening. They're completely identical as far as I can tell.
Thanks, but I assumed the shorter and longer versions of "Midgar Expressway" were different. My question was if both appear in the game separately or if there's just the complete version.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 03:25 PM

Neither. The game uses dynamic music, so it has separate parts that loop until you reach a certain milestone. The soundtrack cuts compile and arrange these pieces together so they flow smoothly from one part to the next.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRokujuushi View Post
Neither. The game uses dynamic music, so it has separate parts that loop until you reach a certain milestone. The soundtrack cuts compile and arrange these pieces together so they flow smoothly from one part to the next.
Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:23 PM
Trusted Editor

Added booklet scans and composer/arranger credits
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the scans/arranger credits.

However, I noticed a few mistakes, where you listed wrong credits (1-07/08 and 2-05 were arranged my Mitsuto, not Yoshitaka Suzuki according to the scans). And so, Mitsuto Suzuki is missing from the arranger credits on the main credits section above.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 05:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Thanks for the scans/arranger credits.

However, I noticed a few mistakes, where you listed wrong credits (1-07/08 and 2-05 were arranged my Mitsuto, not Yoshitaka Suzuki according to the scans). And so, Mitsuto Suzuki is missing from the arranger credits on the main credits section above.
Ah, good catch. I accidentally merged the two when transcribing.

Fixed the notes & credits. Please ping me if you notice any other mistakes.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 01:45 AM

Disc 4, Track 8 - The Black Tattoo is 53:89 Seconds on my EAC Rip; I was wondering how the disc was over 80 minutes, so that track time will need to be corrected.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 02:50 PM

Does anyone else have a weird authoring issue on Disc 3 - Track 6 (Emergency Stairwell) from 2:46 onwards (until the end at 6:52)? Sounds like there's a randomized flanger and a band pass affecting the second half of the song making it unlistenable. The transition from the first half to the second half is very abrupt as well.

Or am I not getting something and is it supposed to sound like this?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It is supposed to sound like this. It's the music for the infamous stairs climbing sequence, and as the characters are getting more and more exhausted, the music itself starts sounding warped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC_WaAVYgSs
Old Aug 7, 2021, 07:08 AM

Ah, I did play it by going with the stairs but I don't remember it being like this at all. Thanks!