VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:18 PM

the ps2 remake of ys v has an english subtitle, that could be considered as official maybe?

ys v: lost kefin, kingdom of sand
(I don't want to edit if nobody agrees)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:14 PM

That's the actual title of the PS2 version (as in ロスト ケフィン キングダム オブ サンド). Those remakes really don't have anything to do with the originals anyway.

Last edited by Despatche; Jun 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:20 AM

Well this album could be considered the soundtrack for that remake as well, so why not?
(It is through that game that I came to search for this album)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:44 AM

Interesting composer insight from "kim" (Kaneda), Shikarawa and "pipet.A" (supposedly Satoshi Arai) regarding a few Ys V songs. Taken from the Ys Material Collection 2.

Quote:
YS5スケッチデータ解説 -Sound Team jdk-
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
Battle Against Fate =YS5M01.MID=
最初、この曲は「草原(フィールド)」用に書いたんですが、あまりにも使命感溢れる曲になったので、後半用 に変更しました。(^ー^; 製品版も完全に移植できたお気に入りの1つです。(kim)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
Freezing Soul =YS5M02.MID=
「和風な感じだね、これ。」シナリオライターM氏談
ちっがーう!悲しいフォレスタの気持ちを表した曲なんだこれは~!!
決して和風なんかじゃないぞー!あ、でもちょっとそうかな?
いや、ちがうぞ!!(kim)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
Bad Species =YS5M03.MID=
いかにもボス~!!ってな曲ですが、自分ではまだ物足りません。好きな人には好きってタイプの曲ですね。話 は変わりますが、自分はボス曲ってーのは口ずさめる曲じゃなくちゃだめだと思ってます。戦闘時のノリが違い ますよ、やっぱ。この曲で言うと、「ちゃか・ちゃか・ちゃっちゃ~!」ってな感じですね。(kim)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
Foresta Village =YS5M04.MID=
最初(収録のMIDI版)では、ピアノとストリングスで構成していたこの曲、SFC版ではなぜかアコーステ ィックギターがバッキングしてます。これはこれでいい味だしてます。「暗いよこれ~」との意見もありました が、個人的には好きなので、押して、押して、押しまくり、勝利を得た(採用になった)曲です。(kim)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakawa
ボツ曲その1 =YS5M05.MID=
なんとこの曲はドーマンの館用に作られたものでした。すぐにボツとなり短い命でしたが、だだっぴろいドーマ ンの館で流れていて、聴く人に笑いを提供しました。私はこの曲の後、他のプロジェクトに配属になりましたが 、実はこの曲のバカさかげんに頭を悩ましたみんなの意見による左遷ではないか、という醜い噂がまことしやか に流れました。(うそうそ)(白蔵)
Quote:
Traders =YS5M06.MID=
どんなゲームでも、特にRPGで「店」というと必ずこういうような曲になってしまいがちです。マンネリとい えばマンネリなんですが、かといって「店」でスラッシュメタルや演歌(後者はゲームによっては可)など流れ てもしょうがない気もします。(白蔵)
Quote:
Theme of Lovers =YS5M07.MID=
この曲は当時よく聴いていた(今も聴いてる)でっかいロボットの出てくるアニメのサントラのとある曲の雰囲 気を参照にしています。前半よりも後半のハープの部分の方が自分としては気に入ってます。(白蔵)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipet.A
In the Cradle =YS5M08.MID=
Wind Knight =YS5M09.MID=
ボツ曲その2 =YS5M10.MID=
Primal Rave =YS5M11.MID=
どうせ移植するんだし、あんまりこれに時間かけてもってことで、ちゃっちゃっと作ったものばかりで、アレン ジがおざなりです。SFC版と比べるとかなりきびしい。まさか、こんな形で出てしまうとは。でも開発ってこ んなもんです。(pipet.A)
Quote:
<最後に・・・・>
これらのデータは、あくまで作曲の途中過程での作品なので、「データの詰めがあま~い!」とか、「もっとや る気を出せ!!」とかは、なしにしてね^^;
Kaneda did Battle Against Fate?! Confirmed for being the greatest!

Last edited by 《J》; Jun 27, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 08:38 PM

For anyone's interest. Atsushi Shirakawa got back at me about this soundtrack. He doesn't remember very well what he did, but he did confirm track 8 to be his. Now we finally know Field of Gale is his composition. He only listed that (track 8) and track 4. Maybe he really didn't compose much in this, or it could be just bad memory.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 08:32 AM

I got a response today from Naoki Kaneda (Kim's Soundroom).

On Twitter he responded he was responsible for composing:

Disc 1:

1. Lost Kingdom (Full Opening)
9. Foresta Village
10. Sinister Shadow (Cave)
11. Treasure Box (Strongbox) *arranged
12. Freezing Soul (In Foresta)
13. Bad Species (Boss Battle)
14. Niena's Melody (Ocarina)
15. Warning!! (Theme of Tension)
17. Woodside Village (Kokiriko Village)
18. Misty Lake (Marshland)
25. Charged Trial (Great Loss in the Jungle)
27. Desert Clime (Desert)
28. Oasis (Oasis in the Desert)

Disc 2:

2. Wilderness (Prairie)
4. Niena (Niena)
10. Forgotten City (Kefin Town)
11. Judgement Bells
12. Partisan (Partisan Hideout)
13. Break into Territory (Kefin Kingdom Underground)
14. Battle Against Fate (Kefin Tower)
16. Theme of Kefin (Kefin Castle)
17. Theme of Kefin II (Kefin Castle Center)
18. Crime and Punishment (Final Event)
21. Vanishing World (Kefin Disappears)
24. Odds and Ends (Game Over)

Unfortunately, Atsushi Shirakawa does not remember what he composed in this game besides the two tracks he listed, but I am sure he composed much more. Maybe this is the closest we can get.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Spirit Chaser -- this is great detective work!!

I'd say it's not necessarily the closest we can get. If Shirakawa is the only one with the failing memory, it's possible that reaching out to the other composers and getting their full listings ... if there's anything left other than the two tracks Shirakawa mentioned, we can bring those unknowns up to Shirakawa and say "what about this one?"

I'm assuming getting hold of Mieko Ishikawa isn't easy. Is Ishikawa only there for re-used themes from prior Ys titles (*are* there any re-used themes? It's been decades, I cannot remember.)

Nakajima seems contact-able via email and recent organizations. Not sure about Arai.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:38 PM

Excellent finds so far, Spirit Chaser! Damn, Kaneda made some of my absolute favorites from Ys V (Lost Kingdom, Foresta Village, Sinister Shadow, Misty Lake, Charged Trial, Desert Clime, Wilderness, Forgotten City, Break into Territory, Battle Against Fate, Niena's/Kefin's motifs and Vanishing World).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I'm assuming getting hold of Mieko Ishikawa isn't easy. Is Ishikawa only there for re-used themes from prior Ys titles (*are* there any re-used themes? It's been decades, I cannot remember.)
Considering that Falcom has been using leftovers tracks for different games without crediting the real composers at the end games' staff rolls for quite a bit, I find that highly unlikely.

The only reprises here are Treasure Box and Theme of Adol, both originally composed by Koshiro. I'm quite dubious about Ishikawa's involvement in Ys V (and pretty much everything post-1992 Falcom), mainly because she actually didn't compose anything for Ys IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Nakajima seems contact-able via email and recent organizations.
You sure about that? I haven't heard anything from him all this time, and his website has been down for years.

Last edited by 《J》; Jun 27, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

J,

Have you tried contacting Nakajima through the email on that old webpage? [email protected]

Just to see if you get a bounceback, or maybe it still gets checked on occasion?

And, while Takeo Project site is down, we could try to get a contact email for Nakajima via other people on the FMPSG team... maybe? Anyone here actually get out to Comiket?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:16 AM

Back to Atsushi Shirakawa, based on what I have been able to find out, most of the games between Brandish 2 and The Legend of Heroes IV had both Naoki Kaneda and Shirakawa as the main lead composers. I am sure he did at least around 15 songs here. Fortunately, He's given me a lot of composer credits so it should be much easier now to guess what his style is like (galloping bass, soloing style, etc).

Though he only remembers two tracks, I would say he probably also did Farewell, The Secret Experience, Stormy Town, Digest, Crumble, Residence, Crimson Ruins, Theme Of Lovers, Traders, Shopping(?), and Turning Death Spiral

On a side note, I think Mieko Ishikawa has almost always been there to compose at least a few songs. I read that interview where she was thanked for the music of Ys IV, but she didn't compose anything in that one.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 08:40 PM

I am going to attempt to use that email in hopes of contacting Masaru Nakajima. Atsushi Shirakawa doesn't know how he is doing, but I am planning to ask Naoki Kaneda next and see what he says. I'll ask about Satoshi Arai and Takahiro Tsunashima while I am at it.

Mieko Ishikawa seems impossible to get a hold of. There doesn't seem to be any way of getting a hold of her. She is still at Falcom, but that doesn't help. I could try seeing if I can get a hold of her through either Atsushi Shirakawa or Naoki Kaneda. Maybe I can get an email.

I am determined to get these composer credits. I've gotten a lot so far. It's still a shame Shirakawa doesn't remember most of his tracks in this game. That would had been a big help towards guessing the rest. At least we have three tracks by Satoshi Arai also.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 08:43 PM

Unfortunately, that email does not work anymore.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 07:17 AM

Ishikawa does so much work at Falcom (assistant director ("Coordinator") on all games + leads the Design Unit, and a top shareholder) that, even if we could somehow get in contact, she wouldn't give time of day even to Shirakawa or Kaneda just to sate the desires of Falcom game music fans. We'll need to find other ways to wedge out of this situation; meanwhile I'm waiting for Masaaki Kawai to check his Twitter again in maybe a year's time or so.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 08:55 PM

Got full credits from Kaneda on Twitter.

Kaneda
Lost Kindom
Foresta Village
Sinister Shadow
Treasure Box (arrangement)
Freezing Soul
Bad Species
Niena's Melody
Warning!!
Woodside Village
Misty Lake
Charged Trial
Desert Clime
Oasis
Wilderness
Niena
Forgotten City
Judgement Bells
Partisan
Break Into Territory
Battle Against Fate
Theme of Kefin I
Theme of Kefin II
Crime and Punishment
Vanishing World
Odds and Ends

Shirakawa
Peace in the Street
Shopping
Field of Gale
Theme of Lovers
Traders

Arai
Digest
Continue
In the Cradle
Residence
Massea
Thieves of Brotherhood
Wind Knight
Crimson Ruins
Movement
Primal Rave
Stormy Town
Sand Castle
Night Sight
The Undercurrent
Scheme the Madness I
Scheme the Madness II
Pain Maker
Crumble
Turning Death Spiral
Wicked Pleasure -Introduction-
Wicked Pleasure
Theme of Adol (guess technically you could call this one arrangement)
Farewell
The Secret Experience
Extra Room
Catch the Record!!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

So absolutely nothing from Nakajima on this then? Is he still credited in the game?

This is fantastic. Save for a few extra tracks in later versions of Ys I&II, I think this makes full credits for the first five games.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
So absolutely nothing from Nakajima on this then? Is he still credited in the game?

This is fantastic. Save for a few extra tracks in later versions of Ys I&II, I think this makes full credits for the first five games.
Yes, he's credited. Falcom usually credits their entire sound team for any given game, even if not all members worked on it.

Technically, I'm not sure we have credits for Ys II. The only source for that is a fansite, and while this list seems realistic, I don't know where the owner of the site is sourcing this information from.

We do have credits for Ys I though - they're in the sound test.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:01 PM

Ah, okay. Wasn't aware of the source for those credits on Music from Ys II. I figure someone must've asked Koshiro about it at some point but maybe he doesn't remember that far back.

Thinking about the next logical step, has anyone tried reaching out to Hayato Sonoda or Wataru Ishibashi about Ark of Napishtim?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Ah, okay. Wasn't aware of the source for those credits on Music from Ys II. I figure someone must've asked Koshiro about it at some point but maybe he doesn't remember that far back.

Thinking about the next logical step, has anyone tried reaching out to Hayato Sonoda or Wataru Ishibashi about Ark of Napishtim?
Sonoda is on Twitter, but he doesn't seem to ever mention his Falcom stuff there, so I'm not sure I want to bother him about it. I'm also not sure he'd even be able to talk about it - see below.

Ishibashi sadly passed away on February 16, 2014.

I have a feeling I know what you're going to ask next - so I'll say that Takahiro Unisuga and Masanori Osaki do not seem to have any social media presence and Saki Sonoda (née Momiyama) has told me she is not able to comment on what tracks she composed during her time at Falcom.

Yukihiro Jindo has a blog that he uses occasionally, but it seems he deleted his Twitter a while back. Mitsuo Singa has ignored all Falcom-related questions I have asked him on Twitter.

(We do have Ryo Takeshita's credits for Origin.)

Last edited by preta; Jun 13, 2018 at 12:03 AM.