VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 21, 2017, 02:19 AM

o_O Varese releasing in CD the score of Yooka-Laylee? That's new. Like.. okay, it's not the first time they do it, they did release Abzu, but.. Yooka Laylee is a bit.. "more" mainstream and almost doesn't seem like a fitting for them! o.o I do guess that if they picked it up, it's because the final score is really bombazzling in terms of orchestral renditions.. that's exciting
Old Feb 25, 2017, 01:46 AM

Wow! Didn't see that one coming either! But... I'm in!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 02:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

Coming a bit late with some corrections... Laced got an exclusive license for this OST so likely Varèse is manufacturing (US release), Universal is distributing. The same as the other Laced releases.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 08:01 AM

It seems like the game is being released without the orchestral versions of the music. Which is leading me to wonder if the soundtrack being released is going to be synth demos, assuming they just didn't have time to either start or finish the recordings. Very odd situation. All the samples I've heard so far are clearly synthesized.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 08:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

Speaking of the orchestra, was it ever confirmed it'll be The City of Prague Philharmonic? While I do get the logic, not much info about it. There's this about Wise giving a hint, anything other than that?

Anyhow, wasn't one of their KS stretch goals specifically for the live orchestra? Strange to drop it.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 08:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Kickstarter update posted earlier today

Quote:
Due to time constraints, the orchestral soundtrack, 64-bit shader and dev commentary will be added to Yooka-Laylee post release. Our priority was to deliver the core game experience to our backers without further delay and we hope you look forward to these free additions in the near future!
I think The City of Prague Philharmonic has never been officially confirmed. The Dave Wise tweet and the fact it sounded inherently plausible was enough for it to gain traction.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Grant Kirkhope definitely recorded his music:

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/st...59503173627904
https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/st...23274439806976
Old Apr 5, 2017, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks Jimby, nice to know it's still coming.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:39 PM

So.. does that confirm that, indeed, there was a live orchestral recording of the soundtrack.. but it will be released as a separate orchestral soundtrack, and not part of the game?

Well, I don't mind it. Nor the wait. As long as I still get some more YK goodness in orchestra somewhere. <3
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
So.. does that confirm that, indeed, there was a live orchestral recording of the soundtrack.. but it will be released as a separate orchestral soundtrack, and not part of the game?

Well, I don't mind it. Nor the wait. As long as I still get some more YK goodness in orchestra somewhere. <3
No one knows. Only Kirkhope's music really cries out for the orchestra. It wouldn't surprise me if only his was recorded. The other two composers mostly relied on electronic soundscapes (and a few live instruments).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 09:11 PM
VGMdb Staff

It's all very strange. He recorded his music back in November but there hasn't been a single word about it in any of the Kickstarter updates.

Grant has been pretty silent about the matter on social media.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 01:56 AM

Maybe they didn't want to get the actual orchestra music in the game because they thought it took off the 90s feel to it. I think that's dumb, I'd have loved to hear the orchestra version as I played the game, but eh. Since orchestra music was still a promised goal I guess they want to keep their promise and release an orchestral album.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:11 AM

Well, the soundtrack's up on Spotify and it sounds exactly like the samples did. Lots of synth. If the music's been recorded, why would they only release the demos on the official soundtrack? It's baffling to me.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:31 AM

Can't wait to hear the orchestral soundtrack! Hope they don't take too long, I'm having a listen to the synth soundtrack and it REALLY sounds like demos of something bigger and better! <3
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:04 AM

Still, I wonder what got Varese interested in it, even for manufacturing - perhaps originally they signed in for what they thought would be a soundtrack of the game with live orchestra, and when they realized it was gonna be synth.. maybe they had signed on something and couldn't let go, but still had to distribute. Who knows, maybe Varese releases the orchestra version in the future. I mean, it's not the first time something like this happens. Abzu got a normal digital release, and Varese handled the rights for a CD release.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well, Laced Records is Varèse's sister label, there's always that I guess. They said it outright at the time of No Man's Sky OST release:
https://www.facebook.com/varesesarab...175813/?type=3

Abzu was distinctively on Varèse's label though, that's quite right.

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 8, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:43 AM

I had no idea about that! I wonder if that means the orchestral album will definitely be released by them.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:45 PM

Do we even know if there's going to be an orchestral album?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 02:27 AM

No, we don't. As for now it's all speculation. We have to wait and see.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:41 PM

Yeah, it's all speculation so far but I think it'd be a given.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 04:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Where did the catalog number for this release come from? I don't see it anywhere on my copy. The closest thing to a catalog number anywhere is a LMCD008 on the CD matrix.