VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:45 PM

My 2011 budget is ruined already... provided this is made available for us (it's looking dubious).

Hopefully this is a sign that Konami isn't calling it quits on the series just yet! 650 remastered tracks :drool:

Last edited by Muzza; Oct 15, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:00 PM

Note that Konami implies this box will be canceled without a sufficient number of orders. Perhaps they worry it ends up another Castlevania box set which apparently bombed hard. Due to that failure, now they decide to independently distribute this box and remaster all the tracks, I guess. Hopefully some more values like composer breakdown and interviews with the respective composers will be also added.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:53 PM

S-So I have something to look forward in 2011? I pray that they won't cancel this box, gonna make this my belated birthday present. Oh pleaaaase!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:21 PM

how do i go about ordering this?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:48 AM

全曲のリマスターを行ない、Blu-spec CD™仕様にすることで最上級の音質でファンのみなさんに提供したいと考えています。

It's not a remaster. It says roughly that with Blu-spec CD they have achieved extremely high sound quality without remastering.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:21 AM

Well, I'm in no position to start a detailed discussion on it, but that sentence itself says "We want to provide the supreme quality to fans by remastering all the tracks and using the Blu-spec CD format".

By the way, Konami initially stated they would determine whether to release this box or not by the 15th of this month, but they modified that part and still solicit for pre-orders, presumably because the number of orders didn't satisfy them yet. Didn't know Suikoden's fanbase is so slim (especially considering that they are going to sell Silent Hill Box via Sony music distribution).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:12 AM

Misreading, then. I'm not familiar with the reading "okonanai", I suppose...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
By the way, Konami initially stated they would determine whether to release this box or not by the 15th of this month, but they modified that part and still solicit for pre-orders, presumably because the number of orders didn't satisfy them yet. Didn't know Suikoden's fanbase is so slim (especially considering that they are going to sell Silent Hill Box via Sony music distribution).
I was pretty surprised to see that Konami are continuing with these box-sets considering the Castlevania one didn't seem to sell well. I mean considering how old most of these soundtracks are you would have thought that the die-hard fans would already have the albums anyway. Add to that the 'cheap' feel most box-sets tend to have and I'm not surprised they don't sell :/
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:00 PM

What are the chances they will sell each game soundtrack individually like Square done with Parasite Eve 1 and 2? I would love to get my hands on Suikoden II, IV, V and Tactics. I already own I and III.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:37 AM

Does anyone have new information about this release? It's been a long time since I heard anything regarding it and VGMDB still lists it as delayed, meaning that it could still happen. I also can't find any news on the internet about it being cancelled/not cancelled either. I hope it isn't cancelled because I have been waiting to purchase the Suikoden soundtracks ever since this was announced. I would rather buy a big collected release, similar to the Castlevania and Silent Hill Boxes, to get everything in one box than purchase them one at a time. Maybe with the release of Suikoden on the PSP, which is coming out soon in Japan, will gather interest among the public so they can make this...knowing my luck though they will leave this permanently delay...oh joy

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Nov 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Konamistyle still lists it as with an "undecided" release date, so there is still hope I guess.
(it was announced +1 year ago tho...)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah a release is looking unlikely. And I question how popular the new "Suikoden" game will be anyway. Konami ignores and undervalues the Suikoden brand like it's their least favourite child, and this will probably continue to be the case here.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Yeah a release is looking unlikely. And I question how popular the new "Suikoden" game will be anyway. Konami ignores and undervalues the Suikoden brand like it's their least favourite child, and this will probably continue to be the case here.
I want to still have hope that they will release this thing one day. It's probably one of the best soundtrack boxes they have put together, next to the Silent Hill box. I mean, judging from the amount of discs and titles represented (like all of them), this box could give VGM fans all the music. The other fact that it's remastered in Blue-Spec CD just makes the box even better. The Castlevania one was pretty cool and had a lot of music, but I didn't like that they cut out tracks from certain games. For example the missing tracks from the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night. I like that they announced a new Suikoden game, but why for the PSP? The Vita is coming out later next month in Japan and not like there was any made so far for the HD systems?

I would love to play a new game in this series on the PS3/360, this attitude they show against the series is probably due to the fact that the team that made all the games is disbanded and no longer together. In order to make a new Suikoden game properly they would have to put together a new team, something that takes time and money they probably don't have. Despite all this I will keep hoping, don't want to look like a fool buying them individually when this box may solve my problem. Worst case is that they cancel it and I have to track them down one by one. I wish that they could make these sets for those that want them on a needed basis instead of getting pre-order numbers...

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Nov 29, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:52 AM

Yes I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said, though you'd best not get me started on the new Suikoden game, I could be ranting for quite some time!

I've checked about once a month since October last year to see if this box set was still afloat (i.e. not cancelled) so naturally I'm trying to retain some hope as well. I've got quite a few Suikoden albums myself, but I'd still love to add this box to my collection. It would be one of my most prized possessions! Fingers crossed in hope against hope.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

New info: http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/social_.../genso_cd.html
Limited to 1000 boxes (it's going fast), preorders until 2012/2/9 (probable release date), the name is now "幻想水滸伝 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - SUPER BEST BOX -" (not complete OSTs? the cat# has not changed though)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh crap, it's happening!

There's just no way I can buy this. DAMN YOU SEIKEN DENSETSU AND DRAGON QUEST!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:16 PM

Hey thanks for heads up Dag, I'm sold on that thing.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:47 PM

Any reason Harumonia no Kenshi has been added twice? I'd delete one but don't want to ruin anyone's linkage...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not seeing it. Either I'm getting old, or someone already removed the duplicate.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
New info: http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/social_.../genso_cd.html
Limited to 1000 boxes (it's going fast), preorders until 2012/2/9 (probable release date), the name is now "幻想水滸伝 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - SUPER BEST BOX -" (not complete OSTs? the cat# has not changed though)
Oh my...it's actually still coming!? I knew that if I was patient and waited this out that one day they would put this thing together! I totally still want this! Although it sounds like it has changed since it was first announced. It was originally supposed to include all of the music from every game in the series, but now it looks like it will only include some. I better pre-order this, 1000 copies, reminds me of that awesome Breath of Fire Box that Capcom put together some time ago as that was very limited as well. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for the information!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Dec 24, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I'm not seeing it. Either I'm getting old, or someone already removed the duplicate.
Now I'm not seeing it either. Either I'm going crazy, or someone already removed the duplicate.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:54 PM

Ever since the recent news of the box set actually being made and released, I have been thinking about it more and more. This really is awesome, all the soundtracks from one of Konami's most under-appreciated series all collected into one box and in Blu-Spec CD nonetheless. So general excitement aside it got me thinking, I wanted to make sure that all of the songs from every title being represented was going to be included. I decided a while back to buy the box instead of buying each soundtrack individually, saves me money too. Unlike other box sets like the Akumajo Dracula Box which had tons of missing tracks I didn't want this to be the case. I then did some math to try and figure out how much we were getting with this release.

Although when I was done counting I thought that this was kind of strange, I added up all the songs from all of the soundtracks this box is suppose to represent. I even counted the Genso Suikoden Tierkreis Extra album, the only soundtrack I thought to logically count as it technically goes together and others were vocal, arrange, or drama albums. My grand total number came out to be 633, leaving 17 songs unaccounted for. Strange that if you were to add up the number of discs, it does match the 25 that are suppose to be in this set. If you don't count that, as it was an extra album in a way, that leaves even more unaccounted for. I did this because I am very curious about this release, we still don't know the real track listing and hope we do get all the music this time. I don't think that I miscalculated? I wonder what those missing tracks are? I also wonder when Konami will tell us everything? We know this thing is coming, but there is so much left to know. One thing I know for sure is that this thing will be EXPENSIVE!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:02 PM

Also does anyone on here know anything about Blu-Spec CD? I honestly have never heard of it before this release, I just want to make sure that these types of CDs play in any regular disc player, laptop drive, entertainment system, video game console, etc. I wouldn't want to buy this expensive set to find out that my drives or players won't play it? From what little I have researched on it, the technology is relatively new as it was developed by Sony in 2008, meant to be the most superior format for compact discs, other than Blu-ray. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 5, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamtraveler View Post
From what little I have researched on it, the technology is relatively new as it was developed by Sony in 2008, meant to be the most superior format for compact discs, other than Blu-ray.
Wrong. The only difference is the manufacturing process. Since the discs adhere to the Redbook standard, they can't sound better than your regular audio discs.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamtraveler View Post
I just want to make sure that these types of CDs play in any regular disc player, laptop drive, entertainment system, video game console, etc.
A Blu-spec CD can be played on all CD players and does not require a blue laser to be read according to Wikipedia.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:15 AM

Well, Thanks to both Nisto and LiquidAcid for the information about Blu-Spec CD. I wasn't really sure if this technology was better or not, it's just what I assumed since Konami Style and other websites who talked about this said that the game's music would be remastered to the highest quality possible all on Blu-Spec CDs. This lead me to believe that the sound quality was tied to the technology being used. Good to know that I don't need to spend even more money on a new drive/device just to listen to this set. I hope February 9th is the release date because I am totally buying this! I will be happy enough with this release so much that I don't think I will want/need any more Genso Suikoden music ever again! This will be enough for me!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:34 PM

Le sigh. This has been cancelled. Expected but still disappointing.

Quote:
"■ 「幻想水滸伝 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK -SUPER BEST BOX- (仮)」 商品化断念のお知らせ

商品化を検討しておりました 「幻想水滸伝 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK -SUPER BEST BOX - (仮)」 ですが、商品化の判断基準となる 1,000 ボックス まで予約受注が集まりませんでしたので、誠に申し訳ありませんが商品化を断念させていただく事となりました 。
発売をお待ちいただいていたお客様には、大変ご迷惑をお掛けしますこと、心よりお詫び申し上げます。(20 12.03.01 追記)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:01 PM
Trusted Editor

Terrible news.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:11 PM

I'm surprised to know only 1,000 was the number of preordering Konami needed and they still failed after spending one and half year in advertising.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:43 PM

It was mainly kept to the Japanese market and lacked new music that wasn't already out there. It also wasn't attached to a new game. Seems like they were only targeting the music lovers rather than the gamers who like music.