VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:19 AM

Lightbulb Disc name and catalog number fields.

I'm kind of disoriented after being away for long, so my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Just wanted to share an idea I had a few days ago while I was checking the Chrono Cross soundtrack page. Seeing how each disc of said soundtrack, aside from the usual catalog number, are also named, it occurred to me, "Why not implement a couple of fields in the tracklist section for this?" In the topmost section to be precise.

Specifically, this is how I'm thinking it could look like:

I think that this could solve the instances where some soundtracks have more than one catalog number (example/example) or whenever discs are named and such.

Just food for thought.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:40 PM

In my heart I've always wanted the disc's personal catalog number to be recognized somewhere, but seeing you give a visual like this made me realize something; there's actually a field for it in the Edit Album page. There's the Release Information section, which has the release's general catalog number, and then there's a Media Information section for each disc (you can scroll through the discs with the prev/next buttons). The discs each have their own catalog number field.

Your new field in the tracklist could actually draw from that field in some way. We're just currently not using it how we should and we're just splitting the release catalog number up amongst the discs. Or maybe that is how we should use it and PsychoZeke's field should be entered separately even from that (I don't see the point of that though). But I do agree that the disc's catalog numbers are important just like any other number assigned to something.

EDIT: Personally I wouldn't add the "Catalog Number" text, just like you don't have "Title" before the title.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We already have the title field for media entries, just that it's not accessible through our current interface yet. I'm building a new interface for adding discs and tracks, but there's still plenty of testing to be done.

(Section titles for tracklists are also planned).