VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Woot! I'll have to track this down. Interesting that it's packaged with Ace Combat X2. Anyone know if that game is reusing music from Ace Combat 2?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:44 AM

Does this composer breakdown come from a scan that is missing?

Btw, I really looked forward to a soundtrack of Joint Assault but now I have to wonder it will ever be released (maybe later coupled with an Assault Horizon OST , or distributed from iTunes store?).

EDIT: oh, snap. It would be from the liner note I had submitted!

Last edited by Cedille; Oct 4, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:23 AM

The sales weren't good so I guess no physical release is planned. Namco Sounds has done a few interesting releases between their retro ones though, so I'm not giving up all hope.

EDIT: As for X2 itself, I believe it's mostly new music by Shiina, Zur, and Hokoyama.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This site contains a composer breakdown. The tracklist comes from the sound test.
Adapted to the OST ("Blow Away" was moved before "Warning Line"):
- Kohta Takahashi: 01, 03~06, 08, 09, 11, 15, 21*, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28**, 29**, 30
- Nobuhide Isayama: 02, 07, 10, 17, 26, 31
- Hiroshi Okubo: 12, 16, 18, 23
- Tetsukazu Nakanishi: 13, 14, 19, 20
- Guitar on 14: Kohta Takahashi
(* see below)
(** there are two "ending attracts" in the OST, dunno which one it is. However "ending attrack" was listed in Takahashi's liner notes as guitar only, so probably it's wasn't composed by him anyway)

The breakdown comes from Nakanishi apparently, the site's author said on 2ch he asked directly.
Quote:
作曲者は私が本人(ってもなかにぃさんですが)から直接聞いたので間違いないです。
The famitsu interview mentions 17 is by Ishiyama, and it matches the credits posted by Takahashi (except 21/28/29), seems real.

There is some discrepancy in track 21 though.
It wasn't in the liner notes by Takahashi so probably Nakanishi made the mistake.
Basically, according to the site's owner (also here), the original composition should be by Masako Oogami [EDIT: earlier I wrote "Okubo" by mistake]
Quote:
21 Night And Day 高橋 弘太

これ間違ってますよ。
1にあった同名曲のアレンジ版で
作曲:大上昌子 編曲:諌山宣秀 > Composition: Masako Oogami / Arrangement: Nobuhide Isayama
あたりが多分正当な記述かと。

なんでそう言えるかというと私も諌山氏ご本人に訊いたことがあるのだ。
1の曲なのにコータ氏作曲というのはおかしいなーと思ってたから。
The notes we have for the Sound Invitation promo arrange say it is composed by Isayama...
It seems the track is an arrange from a previous game, which was also arranged for the promo. Some investigation is needed, but I unserstand the AC2 OST version is by Isayama.

For 28/29, since Takahashi doesn't list them in his site, assuming Nakanishi made a mistake in the breakdown and he himself didn't compose these either, they could be by Okubo or Isayama.

Last edited by Dag; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 08:13 PM

Disc 2 Track 6 is a remix of "Linkage", original composed by Tetsukazu Nakanishi for Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
- Kohta Takahashi: 01, 03~06, 08, 09, 11, 15, 21*, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28**, 29**, 30
- Nobuhide Isayama: 02, 07, 10, 17, 26, 31
- Hiroshi Okubo: 12, 16, 18, 23
- Tetsukazu Nakanishi: 13, 14, 19, 20
- Guitar on 14: Kohta Takahashi
(* see below)
(** there are two "ending attracts" in the OST, dunno which one it is. However "ending attrack" was listed in Takahashi's liner notes as guitar only, so probably it's wasn't composed by him anyway)
Namco put up the AC2 soundtrack digitally on iTunes, and their credits agree with this except:
  • 21: Credited to Isayama and Masako Oogami, so those notes you posted of it being composed by Oogami and arranged by Isayama are probably correct (I think you confused Oogami with Okubo?). It's originally from AC1, which Oogami worked on.
  • 28 & 29: Credited to Isayama instead of Takahashi.

And here are the credits for the bonus AC2 tracks on disc 2 (32~35 on the digital release). Like track 21, all the people involved are listed without distinguishing between composition and arrangement:
  • 2.01: Nobuhide Isayama, Kohta Takahashi
  • 2.02: Nobuhide Isayama, Masako Oogami
  • 2.03: Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Hiroshi Okubo
  • 2.04: Nobuhide Isayama

Quote:
The notes we have for the Sound Invitation promo arrange say it is composed by Isayama...
I think I compiled the credits for that from other sources ages ago, so that entry is probably wrong, given the new info.

Last edited by CHz; Oct 11, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks, with all this we can fix the entry.

Speculation: the bonus tracks credits 'could' be separated based on the original tracks from the notes above (not official):
- Invitation to ACE COMBAT 2 - arrangement of Bear Tracks (10) > A=Kohta Takahashi, C=Nobuhide Isayama
- Night Butterfly - arrangement of Night and Day (21) > A=Nobuhide Isayama, C=Masako Oogami (AC1)
- A.C.Revolution - arrangement of Into the Geo (20) > A=Hiroshi Okubo, C=Tetsukazu Nakanishi

Last edited by Dag; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
21: Credited to Isayama and Masako Oogami, so those notes you posted of it being composed by Oogami and arranged by Isayama are probably correct (I think you confused Oogami with Okubo?). It's originally from AC1, which Oogami worked on.
Quote:
- Night Butterfly - arrangement of Night and Day (21) > A=Nobuhide Isayama, C=Masako Oogami (AC1)
I don't know where you guys get these specific composer credits regarding Air Combat (the first Ace Combat), that Oogami composed 'Night and Day' and Isayama rearranged it.

I've beaten the game just to see the composer credits and they're stated as Nobuhide Isayama and Masako Oogami, in this order.
AFAIK there's no official soundtrack release to Air Combat either, that would have a composer breakdown.

1.21 - 'Night and Day' is from Air Combat (composed by Nobuhide Isayama and/or Masako Oogami, as per the game credits) and was rearranged for AC2 by Nobuhide Isayama and/or Masako Oogami (as noted in the iTunes release)

2.02 - Night Butterfly's first half is yet another rearrangement of 'Night and Day', the second half is an early version of 'Aim High' (composed by Isayama, this doesn't mean the first half was composed by only Oogami, it means we don't know because it was never specified originally).

Chronologically ordered:
Night and Day (Air Combat version)
Night Butterfly (AC2 Sound Invitation version)
Night and Day (AC2 OST version), Aim High (AC2 OST version)

Isayama composed many tracks for AC2, yet Oogami is only mentioned for tracks that are rearrangements of Night and Day from Air Combat.

So based on the above, my personal opinion is that Oogami was involved only in Air Combat, and the AC2 rearrangements were made by Isayama.

What's safe is to credit both of them, Isayama first and Oogami second.

A different track, 'Invitation to ACE COMBAT 2' was composed by Nobuhide Isayama & Kohta Takahashi according to the iTunes release, here it's credited to Hiroshi Okubo & Tetsukazu Nakanishi (as well as on the Sound Invitation).
Which information is correct?
The track is an early version of Bear Tracks which, according to the iTunes release, was composed by Nobuhide Isayama. No composer is given here in the OST CD, but Kohta Takahashi is credited as guitarist, which corroborates the iTunes release.

On http://dzone.sakura.ne.jp/1namco/dis.../slps00830.htm there are no credits for disc 2, so someone here mistakenly put Isayama in the notes as composer of disc 2: track 2.
It's disc 1: track 2 'Lightning Speed', which is again in accordance with the iTunes release.

Disc 2: track 2 'Night Butterfly' was composed by Isayama and/or Oogami as stated in the credits roll of Air Combat and the iTunes release of the AC2 soundtrack.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
I don't know where you guys get these specific composer credits regarding Air Combat (the first Ace Combat), that Oogami composed 'Night and Day' and Isayama rearranged it.
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I editted my posts a bit for clarity, but to recap:
- some jp site (apparently) asked Nakanishi for the AC2 sound test breakdown. When the AC2 iTunes OST was released the credits matched it (save a couple of mistakes), so the site's "thrust-ability" is high.
- the same site writes about tr21 that Oogami composed "Night and Day". No idea about the source, may be 2ch speculation.
- the AC2 sampler credits we have currently were apparently wrong (as CHz commented), adding to the confusion.
Thus it seemed reasonable Oogami could be composer and Isayama arranger (speculation), but since I couldn't verify it I didn't include it the album.

So like you say the safest is to go with those AC2 iTunes credit of both Isayama and Oogami as composers, since it's the most official.

The same site has an entry for the promo, with the following credits (again, unverifiable put seemingly trustable):
SOUND STAFF : のんたん&こーたん + くぼん坊&なかにい ("Non-tan & Kou-tan" >Nobuhide & Kouta + "Kubon-bou & Nakanii" > Okubo + Nakanishi)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
- some jp site (apparently) asked Nakanishi for the AC2 sound test breakdown. When the AC2 iTunes OST was released the credits matched it (save a couple of mistakes), so the site's "thrust-ability" is high.
- the same site writes about tr21 that Oogami composed "Night and Day". No idea about the source, may be 2ch speculation.
For me, it states 高橋 弘太 (補足事項あり)as composer of track 21, google translation: "Kota Takahashi (with Addenda)", which i don't think can be correct (he just performed guitars).

Quote:
The same site has an entry for the promo, with the following credits (again, unverifiable put seemingly trustable):
SOUND STAFF : のんたん&こーたん + くぼん坊&なかにい ("Non-tan & Kou-tan" >Nobuhide & Kouta + "Kubon-bou & Nakanii" > Okubo + Nakanishi)
"Kouta" in Sound Invitation credits, i don't think that can be correct either.

That site is kind of messy and confusing.

Where are the iTunes credits coming from? The links that are given lead to two iTunes pages where only "Namco Sounds" is given as artist for all tracks.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
Where are the iTunes credits coming from? The links that are given lead to two iTunes pages where only "Namco Sounds" is given as artist for all tracks.
From the composer tags of the files. As of iTunes 9, the main store UI no longer exposes that info, but it's still there if the publisher provides it (NBGI and Taito do, Sting doesn't for example). The ways I know of to get at it are to pray you can find the album in column browser mode or purchase the album and check the tags after you download it.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 29, 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: fiddling with the link
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:51 AM

I've found it in the iTunes Store's column browser.

Shall I or one of you go ahead and change the credits of the OST CD and the Sound Invitation to conform to the iTunes credits ?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:29 PM

http://www.acecombat.jp/x2/world/sound.html
Disc2:
05 メトロポリタン=BGM1
06 Linkage (Sky mix) = BGM10
07 Tokyo=BGM4(arrange version ?)
08 希望を乗せて=BGM9
10 Call=BGM17
11 夜空の足音=BGM6
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:28 PM

i like how it shows a CD pulsating.... the soundtrack was never released.. besides this sampler on disc 2
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:22 PM

Holy cow! There's a sealed copy of this on YJA that is currently at 85,000 yen (with multiple bids). I had no idea this album was that pricey.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:51 AM

Its pretty rare. I think it had the lowest amount of copies produced of the Ebten soundtrack exclusives (Ace Combat 2/Joint Assault, Assault Horizon, Cross Rumble). Thats still a crazy price though.

Wonder if Ace Combat Infinity will have any kind of soundtrack release...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 02:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Looks like there's no composer breakdown in the notes for Disc 2, Track 9 "Conflict". Does anyone know who wrote this track?