VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments > Guides and FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:03 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default How-To - Scan uploading

HOW TO - SCAN UPLOADING

Here's a complete guide on how to upload scans directly to the database.

1) When you are on an album page, click the Edit link.

2) A dropdown menu will appear, choose Manage Covers.

3) You'll be redirected to a new page where you can upload pictures, and modify the captions of existing scans.
To upload new scans, click on the Select Files button.

4) An explorer window will open. You'll have to browse your computer for the pictures you want to upload.
I advice you put the covers for the album on the same directory. Even better if you "prepared" them in the good order, it's easier.

5) Select the pictures you want to upload. You can choose up to 10 images at a time.
If there are more than 10 pictures to upload, select and valid the 10 pictures, and repeat step 3) & 4) until you have selected all the pictures.

6) Pictures will be added in a queue, waiting for you to name them before the upload.
For each picture, click the dropdown menu to choose one of the most common captions.

7) On the dropdown menu, you can choose one of the several caption, the first picture is set by default if there was no existing scans, it's generally the very first "image" you see of the package (most of the time, the Front cover)

8) If the caption from the dropdown menu is not enough, you can fill the text box at its right, giving more precision (ex: the booklet page numbers/order)

Be sure to choose the captions for all the pictures and fill the text boxes if needed before continuing.

9) Once all the captions are ok, you can add credits to the whole set of pictures you are uploading. All the pictures will be credited to the name and URL you enter here.
This is optional, by default there will be no credits at all.

10) You are now ready to upload all the pictures, click the Start All Uploads button.

11) All the pictures will be uploaded to the database server one by one.
Depending on many factors, including the size and numbers of pictures, it can take up to several minutes to upload everything.
Be sure to not reopen the manage covers page for the same album while you'r uploading pictures, it can create some loss on the captions & credits you previously entered.

12) Once all the pictures have been uploaded, you still can edit the captions you previously entered, on the left part of the screen. You can rename the pictures, add or remove credits by editing the text boxes.

13) If you think everything is ok, you'r now done! Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the scan's list on the left part of the screen.

I Advice to not open more than once at a time the Manage Covers page for an album.

Did you forgot a picture ? Something wrong ?
You can now edit all the captions and upload additional covers by going back to step 1)

Last edited by Myrkul; Jan 31, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 03:16 AM

please reupload your images sir
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:21 AM

Exclamation

Sorry I keep getting the unknown error and it show the image blank, need staff to clean it up.
https://vgmdb.net/album/73567
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:34 AM

Is there a naming standard for when a release contains more than one booklet?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 02:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
Is there a naming standard for when a release contains more than one booklet?
Not that I know of, since it is a rare case. Maybe something like "Booklet 1, p. 01-02".
Old Dec 18, 2021, 04:30 AM

I have made some scans i'd like to upload. The scanner produced them using JPEG compression in a TIFF container. So the files are, like, 4900x7000 1,34MB .tiff. They are currently in an A4 paper sheet aspect ratio with a lot of whitespace. If i crop them, then no matter what format i choose to save the cropped image in, it turns out much larger in file size than the original. Considering there was already a loss of data during scanning procedure, i don't want to save the resulting cropped image in a lossy format, because it would result in further quality decrease (lossy->lossy). But if i choose a lossless format, like png, to export the cropped image into, then the resulting image becomes massive in size, ~30MB or more. What would be the correct course of action for me to take with this problem?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoard View Post
I have made some scans i'd like to upload. The scanner produced them using JPEG compression in a TIFF container. So the files are, like, 4900x7000 1,34MB .tiff. They are currently in an A4 paper sheet aspect ratio with a lot of whitespace. If i crop them, then no matter what format i choose to save the cropped image in, it turns out much larger in file size than the original. Considering there was already a loss of data during scanning procedure, i don't want to save the resulting cropped image in a lossy format, because it would result in further quality decrease (lossy->lossy). But if i choose a lossless format, like png, to export the cropped image into, then the resulting image becomes massive in size, ~30MB or more. What would be the correct course of action for me to take with this problem?
I think it is ok to be lossy, because we aren't looking to archive them perfectly. The most important thing is readable text so that these can serve as the original source for artist and company credits and tracklist titles.