VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments > Guides and FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Linking Products to Albums

This tutorial teaches how to link products to album pages. This function is reserved for Trusted Editors and above. If you are not a trusted editor, but would like an album to be linked to its products, then please post in the album's thread, and somebody will link it for you.

If you've ever linked an album to its artist pages, then this process will be very familiar to you. However, there is one additional step to the process. To start the process, select "Manage Products" under an album's edit menu.

1) Assigning Products

The first step is to assign products to the album.

The list of products to assign comes from parsing the album's product field, which are separated by commas. If a product's name contains a comma, you may have to assign it under a partial name, and link it manually to the correct product ID in step 2 below.

Just like artists, once products are assigned, the product list on the album page is overridden, and further edits their don't display.

2) Linking Products

Step 2 is linking the assigned products to their existing Title pages. You always link to a Title page, though in a later step, you can associate a specific Release. Currently, you cannot link to Franchise pages.

In this example, only one of our three games has an existing product page. Note that there are actually multiple returns for "Air", because we have a product page for the movie, the game, and the TV series. Multiple results are always returned in a Red box, which will not link unless you click the Apply checkbox. In this case, we want to link to the game Air, which is the first one.

3a) Choosing Classifications

Now our album is linked, and the links show on the album page. The final step is to classify the relationship the album has with this product. Does it contain a soundtrack? Is it an arrangement? Is it just a drama with some of the characters? This is important to allow the reader to filter the albums on a product's page to just show those of interest. Commonly, this will be used to filter out doujins.

In this example, I've selected Fan Arrange in the Classification window, because this is a doujin album containing arrangements from these games. Note that you have to manually click the Apply Checkbox, or alternatively the "Check All" checkbox before pushing the update button. The selector allows multiple choices. Presently, if you skip this step, the relationship will be listed as "Unclassified". I'd like to find a way to automatically determine this in some cases, but this will require some more thought.

Here is a brief explanation of the classifications:
  • Soundtrack - Contains original music from the product.
  • Arrange - Contains music from the product that has been arranged in some way.
  • Fan Arrange - For unofficial arrangements such as those found on doujin albums.
  • Remix - A remix is an arrangement that also contains samples of the original music.
  • Fan Remix - As above, but unofficial and produced by fans.
  • Vocal - A special categorization for vocal arrange albums. This overlaps arrange, so you don't have to include both classifications.
  • OP/ED/Insert - This is a special classification for albums that mostly contain Opening or Ending themes, as well as other insert or image songs.
  • Drama - Characters from the product are used in drama or monologue.
  • Prototype - Catch-all for unused tracks and image albums.
  • Sound Effect - Contains sound effects from the product. Gameplay audio tracks also qualify.
  • Live Event - Recording of a live event that pertains to the product.
  • Data - Contains a data track related to the product (maybe it includes wallpapers, wav files, etc.)
  • Video - Video related to the product. Note that the video will mostly be music-related, given our site focus.
  • Featured - I think we would use this for albums that borrow a theme from somewhere else, like maybe the Super Robot Wars stuff. I've used it a little on some of Masahiro Andoh's solo albums (PASSION FLOWER), where he uses some music from Gran Turismo, but it seemed that he was just performing his own music without reference to context. This usage may be a little controversial, so we may have to revisit.
  • Derivative - Use of the music in a derivative work. Albums "inspired by the music of" would go here.
The Featured and Derivative categories will probably generate some discussion as we try to use them more. Both of these categories link in Dark Blue instead of Cyan, signifying that the relationship to the product is more indirect.

3b) Choosing Releases

During this same step, you can also choose to link to a specific release (or to multiple releases). Please see the Product Submission Tutorial to learn more about releases. If you choose a single release, the link on the album page will take you straight to that release page. For an album that links to multiple releases, I intend for this to be indicated in the display somehow, but I'm still mulling over the options.

Finally, you'll notice that once an album is linked, you can reverse propagate the products. Just like on the artist pages, this allows you to apply changes to the spelling of the assigned products back to the album's product field, so that searches and our archaic "related albums" section all stay in sync.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 04:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Can Trusted Editors really edit this yet?

Last edited by Nisto; Apr 1, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 04:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Soon. I'll be making the changes to the code tonight.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Heh, I suspected that since there's even a guide now.

I just assigned my first product, and I'm liking it Thanks Secret Squirrel.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:51 AM

I feel we have to consider one or two more things than linking artists. For artists, we'd basically keep the assigned texts matched to the original texts (if not, click the Propagate button), but for products, it's not so simple, since the texts are also used by our DB to seek "Related albums".

For instance, the product of this entry should definitely be "NieR Replicant", not NieR, because the contents of the drama is based on the Nier Replicant side of things where the "boy" Nier is the protagonist. On the other hand, I think it's better to keep the field text as "Nier" to make it related to other entries.

I'd still sometimes use different titles for releases, if each release has dozen of albums (e.g. anime 1st and 2nd seasons), as I think 10 is the threshold for Related Albums unless we implement the page index for the section.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

For now, I'll strike the text advising people to use the reverse-propagate button, since using it can interfere with how the album editor set things up.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:31 PM

Quite an interesting change. It's not too difficult to use, so I'll make the most of it.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
For instance, the product of this entry should definitely be "NieR Replicant", not NieR, because the contents of the drama is based on the Nier Replicant side of things where the "boy" Nier is the protagonist. On the other hand, I think it's better to keep the field text as "Nier" to make it related to other entries.

The "related albums" section should not solely depend on the text in the product field anyhow, we should make it configurable.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
The "related albums" section should not solely depend on the text in the product field anyhow, we should make it configurable.
I remember Carl or somebody else suggested it years ago, and I also want that badly. A possible problem I see is it could be a tad too arbitrary (since 'related' is such subjective criteria we could associate one album with tons of other album). It might have to be premise on a conversion of our album pages; we could use a tab layout or such.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:25 PM

I observed that several Touhou arrangement albums (example) contain remixes of tracks previously available in other albums, that is, fan remixes of fan arrangements. Does that mean we should classify the relationship of that remix with a specific product as "Fan Remix" or just as "Fan Arrange"?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Last night I fixed a whole mess of incorrect product classifications on albums, so I want to make a note here so it hopefully happens less in the future. The system makes it really easy to make this specific mistake: I fixed albums linked by like 7 or 8 different users, including MYSELF one time.

When you link a licensed fan arrangement or remix album from Loudr/etc. that's set as Commercial, not Doujin, the product will be automatically classified as Arrange or Remix. This is incorrect, and you should manually change it to Fan Arrange or Fan Remix.

Please take the time to verify that fan albums are linked properly, so that (1) we have correct data and (2) people who want to filter them out from product pages can do so successfully. Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:24 PM

ok, late reply to chz's post
why not adding "fan arrangement" in the classification? it could directly link to fan arrange no?
since there are stuff like cd+dvd and cd+bd for a certain type of submissions, why not that (i.e. fan arrangement)

or auto-classifying doujin as fan arrangement? (don't know if there is another classification used for doujin, which isn't arrangement)

Last edited by Phonograph; Sep 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 02:22 PM

Why is the feature only available to trusted editors and above?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdevilfx View Post
Why is the feature only available to trusted editors and above?
I don't know, but with the amount of games being released these days it doesn't make too much sense IMO. Most of my posts involve asking trusted editors to add games to the database for a particular release or linking albums with existing entries. I think all users should be allowed to add games and link them but only trusted editors to add artists. As of now, it is the other way around and I think it makes the cataloging less efficient.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that opening up Product submission is a possibility in the future, but linking will always be restricted. Linking games or artists is both complicated for the user and difficult to cleanly roll-back when moderating submissions. We never really found a good balance there. Also, even submitting products, and understanding the difference between products/franchises/releases is a little confusing and requires some training.

One thing I am open too is adding more trusted editors. I would like to have some more people who are interested in maintaining and expanding our product pages, but we don't really get much opportunity to evaluate people unless they are submitting albums or artists, which is why it has been slow to happen.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
One thing I am open too is adding more trusted editors. I would like to have some more people who are interested in maintaining and expanding our product pages, but we don't really get much opportunity to evaluate people unless they are submitting albums or artists, which is why it has been slow to happen.
I would definitely be interested. I haven't submitted that much over the years but most of my post history consist on bugging trusted editors to link products and such. I think I could be of help since in general I'm pretty up to date with upcoming releases, specially for vinyl.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

One thing I am open too is adding more trusted editors. I would like to have some more people...
it's true that the 48 trusted editors are snowed under with work ;p
let's add more inactive trusted editors, I think it lacks a lot for the site =)