VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:39 PM

1: Moved the Japanese text to line 4, made it fully Japanese... didn't make much sense to have "ファントム キングダム Original Soundtrack" and ファントム キン is just written in very small print under PHANTOM KINGDOM anyway, it's not a very official reading going across an obi or something. EDIT: Also, did ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK and オリジナル・サウンド・トラック instead.
2: Thought it appropriate to add the game's barcode # since this is enclosed with it... it shares the catalog number so I thought it made sense.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:57 AM

Since your edit is 100% right under our current policy, this is just my ramble; I've noticed some members add a Japanese title to the 2nd line even if it's not found on any scans, and I've actually approved and don't move them to the 4th line, even though I wonder if I should. I think this is the issue caused by keeping somewhat equivocal "display" and "original" lines.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If someone adds a Japanese title, and if I don't see any Japanese on the packaging, I'll move it to the 4th line. For complete album submissions, I don't always remember to check, so some slip through.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 03:46 AM

There were a couple of particularly... weird translations, to say the least, and a couple tracks that could benefit from game context, so I gave it the tracklist a small upgrade.

102 The Devil's Entrance --> The Overlord's Entrance
魔王 was translated as Overlord in Disgaea, which I quite agree with because Overlord is the term used in the English versions of the games.

111 Capture the Universe In This Hand --> The Universe in My Hand
宇宙 is universe, 我が is my (as in it's mine, I own it) and 手 is hand, に is location. This one pretty much reads straight across. There's nothing about capturing anything.

202 Invasion of the Devil World --> Conquering the Netherworld
魔界 means spirit world, demon world, hell... but just like translating 魔王 as Overlord, the English version uses the word Netherworld to describe 魔界, which is any typical realm ruled by an Overlord. Underworld is something else (specifically, Seedle's realm... y'know, the place with all the dead people), and hell is pretty much only used as an interjection. As for conquering vs. invasion, it suits the theme of the games better in my opinion, conquering Netherworlds to become the most powerful Overlord.

204 Swirling Whirlpool --> Swirling Wicked Thoughts
I'm not sure how 邪念 means whirlpool,. 邪 is wicked and 念 is a thought, idea, wish.

Other than that, there are always a bunch you can change just because you like one translation more than another, though it doesn't really add anything important to the meaning. I've left those alone, focusing only on the ones that were in need of a more serious re-translating, or that could benefit specifically from game terminology.

EDIT: Just noticed something for the first time. Right after finishing this I took a look at the Arrange Album for this game, and it has some English translations for songs that were written in Japanese on this soundtrack. Should we standardize them? They are:

107: 初陣 The First Battle (we have First Campaign)
119: もうひとつの結末 Another Ending (we have One More Conclusion)
209: 刹那の狂気 Frenzy of moment (we have Madness of the Moment)
211: 魂の変遷 Transition of soul (we have Transition of the Soul)

I guess they should match up, right?

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Feb 8, 2014 at 03:56 AM.