VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 12, 2020, 04:09 AM

Default [REQUEST] Move the 'mark forums read' link

While it's nice and all that this is here, and that unread posts stay around now, could this button at least be moved away from 'new posts'? After many many years of using that general area to read new posts it's all too easy to hit that link instead.

(Also I note that the mark forums read link is still listed under 'quick links')
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:23 PM

Not an issue really, even if you press that button by mistake you can still click "Today's Posts" and see all the new activity sorted by order of activity. These forums aren't exactly lively, you can see all the new talk and happenings with that...
Old Aug 13, 2020, 04:08 AM

Which only shows the last day, and doesn't let you just to the last unread post. Just because there's a clunky workaround doesn't make it not a problem, nor should it be a big deal to swap the locations given they recently added it anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 04:05 AM

And I just accidently clicked it again. Would be really nice for this to happen x.x
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:45 AM

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that!
Old Aug 19, 2020, 04:00 AM

Wow, you're a dick.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 07:37 AM

At some point during the current wave of system updates the forum is now far less eager to mark old posts as read so I'm now getting used to do that manually. For that I actually like that Mark Forums Read link's placement.

@TerraEpon I have the Link to New Posts bookmarked ( https://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?do=getnew ) so that's where I actually start visiting vgmdb each time and never try to (mis-)click on New Posts link. Maybe that's helpful to you too?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Wow, you're a dick.
No not really, the problem is you, not the website, the website is not making you click on things, maybe slow down? Read what you are clicking perhaps, eventually after enough mishaps you'll learn I guess...

I happen to like it as is, it's super convenient and right next to the "New Post" button which is also super relevant, you're asking to change the website around to suit your "workflow", but then it'll changes other peoples "workflow" since they'll now have to adjust, then we'll just get another Sonic complainer that he keeps hitting it because it moved and his muscle memory can't be trained.

If you use one of the many popular ad-blockers like uBlock, you could just make that button disappear with their "Hide-Element" feature or whatever it's called, then no more mishaps.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
No not really, the problem is you, not the website, the website is not making you click on things, maybe slow down? Read what you are clicking perhaps, eventually after enough mishaps you'll learn I guess...

The issue isn't that it's there, it's WHERE it is. Once again, after years and years of clicking in a certain spot, one tends to click in a certain spot. Even just swapping it with the 'search' button would be worlds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
At some point during the current wave of system updates the forum is now far less eager to mark old posts as read so I'm now getting used to do that manually. For that I actually like that Mark Forums Read link's placement.
Yeah they changed it so that things won't get marked read until you mark them....which honestly isn't a bad thing. I always hated having to visit the forum just because I visited an album page, and would often actively NOT visit the site because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
@TerraEpon I have the Link to New Posts bookmarked ( https://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?do=getnew ) so that's where I actually start visiting vgmdb each time and never try to (mis-)click on New Posts link. Maybe that's helpful to you too?
Good idea. I never actually thought to try it since when I bookmarked the result of clicking the 'New Posts button' at some point it spit out a URL that shows nothing (https://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?searchid=161272). No idea when this was changed. So I never knew it was even a thing.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Good idea. I never actually thought to try it since when I bookmarked the result of clicking the 'New Posts button' at some point it spit out a URL that shows nothing (https://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?searchid=161272). No idea when this was changed. So I never knew it was even a thing.
That still happens since that's some way of search caching, https://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?do=getnew always redirects to a newly created search id, so that link is rather hidden until one notices it's that what the New Posts link uses. The caching doesn't really make sense for New Posts anyway since your new and unread posts are different from mine and others' after all.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 06:35 AM

When the "Mark Forums Read" link first showed up, I actually unintentionally clicked on it multiple times and I almost did the same thing again now. So yes, in terms of browser userability, I think "New Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" are completely opposite functions that shouldn't be near each other. I'd think of an analogy to further emphasise the point but I don't feel like thinking right now.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 03:25 PM

You can also press the "back" button on your browser to go back one page after pressing the Mark Forums Read button, problem solved!
Old Oct 3, 2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
You can also press the "back" button on your browser to go back one page after pressing the Mark Forums Read button, problem solved!
Why are you so against this simple change?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 08:20 AM
Trusted Editor

I was the one that requested it FYI. I didn't want to have to have multiple clicks to mark forums read since it used to be in one of the drop downs, especially aftwr the no more cookies thing. I get that you're not used to where it is but ... adapt? No matter where it goes it's going to disrupt someone or shift things around...?

I really don't see the issue
Old Oct 11, 2020, 02:09 AM

Honestly, this isn't a big deal personally. I was just showing solidarity with OP and it was not an isolated experience.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Why are you so against this simple change?
Because I happen to really like it, I use it every time now when I come here with zero issues, New Posts > Mark Forums, done. Super covenant location, with minimal clicks.