VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:54 PM

Most all know of this popular music from the very popular game. Mitsuda wouldn't show his best until Chrono Cross, but him and Uematsu do a good job here. A decent amount of ordinary tracks, but the standouts are magnificent. You can't not love peaceful days, windy scene, guardia castle (love the buildup to the melody), frog's theme, fanfare, robo's theme, corridors of time, epoch, world revolution, and too far away times.

What great boxart by the way for the reprint.

3.5/5

Last edited by BahamutZ; Oct 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:19 PM

A different boxart for the reprint?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:39 PM

http://vgmdb.net/album/3391

yeah and I should say boxart and soundtrack manual
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Why is it in bold? What a mystery!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:42 PM

To distinguish from this one?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, okay, I thought there was a problem with the entry.

After ten years the reprint is still priced the same as the original
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:53 PM

...that's the soundtrack booklet frontcover at the Reprint Page.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:04 AM

true. and there are gallery cover images as well. They make me want to play again =D
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Primeval Mountain [218] wasn't credited to Nobuo Uematsu (it should be). I have fixed this.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'd also like to discuss the tracklist translation, which seems off in several places. Also, when considering some of the non-Japanese characters got lost in translation, it's simply wrong (I'm going to fix these instances for now). I remember seeing a translation by Reichu years back that seemed decent, though I don't know how strong her Japanese actually was at the time she translated. Can anybody chime in on this?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 04:29 AM
VGMdb Staff

Like with many of the game music cds that were among the first that people around the western boards started purchasing back in the day, the originally translated tracklists for this album left a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy - so it could be some remnants of those days that you've been spotting. Are there any titles in particular you think need fixing?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:54 PM

The Compendium recently had an excruciating retranslation done:

http://chronofan.com/Black/Publications/CTMusic.html
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd say to go with their tracklist, since they put in the effort to make it more accurate. Credit The Compendium for it.

I disagree with the note on 3-11 though. Black Dream and Dream of Black mean the same thing in English, aside from some poetic difference that likely wouldn't occur in Japanese anyway. I've seen adj+no+noun translated the same as adj+i+noun fairly often, probably for this reason. That is, unless this is dreaming about the color Black, but I doubt that.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:23 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Kind of funny that he says that after violating it with "Green Memories" instead of "Memories of Green". I guess it's not a solid translation job.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I just want to know, what's with translating "道行く者へ祈りを…" as "A Prayer for the Travelers"? Did the ellipsis simply evaporate?

This Compendium translation doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Some of the phrases don't even sound like natural English.

Why can't we just get someone who is actually fluent in both English and Japanese to look at this?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:16 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I disagree with the note on 3-11 though. Black Dream and Dream of Black mean the same thing in English, aside from some poetic difference that likely wouldn't occur in Japanese anyway. I've seen adj+no+noun translated the same as adj+i+noun fairly often, probably for this reason. That is, unless this is dreaming about the color Black, but I doubt that.
Yeah, this sort of nitpicking on the part of the translator is exactly why I distrust his/her work. And as you pointed out in a later post SS, "Green Memories" had the translator going back on this same anal retentive trait.

So yeah. I think Prime Blue's is pretty good.

I think, due to the popularity of this album, we might want to have the following tracklists on the site:

"Japanese"
"Romaji"
"English (common/dynamic)"
"English (exact)"

The former English being the old, popular tracklist where you replace "Maou" with "Magus" and all that good stuff. And then you have the accurate tracklist, which is what Prime Blue gives us.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Thanks, Prime Blue! Your translation looks good (from the point of someone who knows very little about Japanese, but good nonetheless).

One thing though: There are a couple translations which still sound odd in English; specifically "Peaceful Everyday" and "World Revolution Time". I don't know if there is a way to phrase these better in English, or if they were just oddly phrased in Japanese. My initial reaction for the first one would be to simply rephrase it as "Everyday Peace/Peacefulness". The second one isn't wrong, but it just feels too "casual", though it would be more tricky to mess with, and the closest thing to your translation that sounds slightly more natural is "Time of World Revolt/Revolution"; or my personal choice if you wish to stretch it this far, "Time of the World's Revolt/Revolution".

Then there's always the issue of translating titles to be in accordance with the English game translation as well as The Brink of Time (maybe). But these would probably be best in a separate tracklist, as Ramza mentioned.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Oct 12, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

The problem you see a lot with Jap->Eng translations is that people are trying to be too literal, translating word-by-word without taking into account the fundamental differances between the languages. I actually thought the translation we had was basically good, but I made a few much needed edits. And since the translation caters to English speaking people I see no reason to use the original Japanese names.

Here are also a few tracks for which I feel the translation is up for debate:

"Secret of the Forest"
While the literal title refers to a "vast" forest it seems strange calling it that, since the forest in the game is anything but that. 'Secret of Forest' is also what's used for the arrange album

"Silent Light"
I don't remember the game well enough to say if this or 'Light of Silence' makes more sense.

"A Desolate World"
Within the context of the game, both this and 'A World in Ruins' would be good descriptive translations. The Previous 'A Ruined World' is rather too general for my tastes.

"The Day the World Ended"
While literally something like 'The World's Final Day', the above sounds better.

"Johnny of the Rampant Robo Corps"
The popular name for "cool" bike gangs in Japan is 暴走族 (Bousou Zoku). In this title only the Bousou (rampant, wild, out of control) part is included. As I remember from the game, of the members that we see, only Johnny is actually a bike(r). The rest are just regular robots.

"Rhythm of the Wind, the Sky and the Earth"
This is a good example of how Japanese differs from English in terms of how specific it is. In English you can't say "Rhythm of Sky". Since there is only one sky you need to add a "the". Wind and Earth (presuming they are not refering to the planet itself) are less specific though.

"The Depths of the Night"
Quite hard to come up with something which was both true to the original meaning and sounded good in English.

"Chrono Corridor"
Has the same meaning as 'Corridor of Time' but sounds better in the context of the game. Was also used for the arrange album.

"Undersea Palace"
Literal translation would be something like 'Temple at the Bottom of the Sea' but I gave the nod once again to the title from the arrange album.

"Dark Dream"
Not really sure what this refers to game-wise, but never the less, 'Dark' is more fitting than 'Black'. I don't really like 'Dream' either since I don't remember anyone having a dream at this stage of the game. I can't seem to place the music either, anyone know what it might refer to?

"World Revolution"
While there is a "no toki" at the end of the original title I can't think of a way to add that without it sounding strange. 'Time of the World Revolution' or something doesn't really add anything to 'World Revolution'. Again, this is also the official translation from the arrange album.

"Outskirts of Time"
Literal title is, what, "The Way to Faraway Times"? 'Outskirts of Time' doesn't seem literal enough for my tastes but again it's from the arrange album.

Last edited by seanne; Oct 12, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Are you sure the titles on Brink of Time aren't just interpretations or 'arrangements' of the track name, rather than official translations?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Are you sure the titles on Brink of Time aren't just interpretations or 'arrangements' of the track name, rather than official translations?
I don't know who came up with them but I don't suppose they were intended to be official in any particular sense. I guess since the album has an English name and the packaging a British theme (English breakfast anyone?) they wanted to have English tracknames too. But I doubt they lost any sleep over the translations. Some are good while others are not so good.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:05 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The PS version looks closer to the soundtrack translations given by both you and the Compendium. Except for that misspelling of "Occurrences" and the spacing issues (seemingly done only to fit it in the allotted space), I'd go with the PS version.

Also, seanne, I never really noticed the "Rhythm of Wind, Sky and Earth" issue because it sounded feasible as a title, like the band "Earth, Wind & Fire".
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
"Dark Dream"
Not really sure what this refers to game-wise, but never the less, 'Dark' is more fitting than 'Black'. I don't really like 'Dream' either since I don't remember anyone having a dream at this stage of the game. I can't seem to place the music either, anyone know what it might refer to?
I remember hearing that the Black Omen was actually called the Black Dream in the Japanese version of the game.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

For now, I've replaced the current English tracklist with the English PS1 Sound Test tracklist because it's an official translation (the earliest one to my knowledge), and it stays close to the original Japanese titles. If we can all agree on a better direct translation, we can add it at that time.

Here's the English tracklist that I removed (for reference):
Spoiler:
01 A Premonition 0:35
02 Chrono Trigger 2:02
03 Morning Sunlight 0:57
04 Peaceful Days 2:49
05 Green Memories 3:52
06 The Guardia Kingdom Millenial Fair 3:17
07 Gato's Song 0:43
08 A Mysterious Event 1:43
09 Longing of the Wind 3:23
10 Good Night 0:08
11 Secret of the Forest 4:46
12 Battle 2:29
13 Guardia Castle ~Courage and Pride~ 3:29
14 Huh!? 0:06
15 Manoria Abbey 1:14
16 A Prayer for Travellers on the Road... 0:12
17 Silent Light 2:24
18 Boss Battle 1 1:58
19 Frog's Theme 1:50
20 Fanfare 1 1:16
21 The Royal Trial 3:44
22 The Hidden Truth 0:59
23 By a Hair's Breadth 2:39

01 A Desolate World 3:24
02 Riddle of the Past 0:07
03 Ruin No. 16 1:34
04 People Who Cast Away the Will to Live 3:08
05 Lavos' Theme 5:11
06 The Day the World Ended 1:26
07 Johnny of the Rampant Robo Corps 2:21
08 Bike Chase 1:35
09 Robo's Theme 1:33
10 Factory Ruins 3:10
11 Battle 2 (UNRELEASED TRACK) 2:10
12 Fanfare 2 0:08
13 The Brink of Time 2:32
14 The Merry Spekkio 2:49
15 Fanfare 3 0:06
16 Underground Waterway 2:24
17 Boss Battle 2 2:41
18 Primeval Mountain 3:07
19 Ayla's Theme 1:24
20 Rhythm of the Wind, the Sky and the Earth 1:52
21 Burn! Bobonga! 2:12
22 Magus' Castle 0:29
23 Melody of Confusion 1:40
24 Decisive Battle with Magus 3:30

01 Singing Mountain (UNRELEASED TRACK) 3:06
02 Tyran Castle 3:50
03 The Depths of the Night 2:31
04 Chrono Corridor 3:01
05 Zeal Palace 3:57
06 Schala's Theme 2:48
07 Sealed Door 2:48
08 Undersea Palace 3:24
09 Crono and Marle ~A Faraway Promise~ 1:56
10 Epoch ~Wings that Cross Time~ 3:24
11 Dark Dream 3:04
12 Determination 0:56
13 World Revolution 3:49
14 Last Battle 4:08
15 The Star Festival 2:45
16 Epilogue ~To Beloved Friends~ 2:35
17 Outskirts of Time 5:46
Old May 19, 2011, 10:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Is there any official source for the Japanese title of this soundtrack? As far as I can see, only the Japanese title for "Chrono Trigger" is used on the covers. The Japanese title on VGMdb seems to be fully okay to me. But I have seen variations of the word "Version" in katakana before...

バージョン
vs
ヴァージョン

Edit: Okay, I found it here: http://www.nttpub.co.jp/search/books/detail/100000371

Last edited by Nisto; May 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
Trusted Editor

Random question/thread necro, but where is the second "Burn!" coming from in all these Chrono Trigger tracks titled "Burn! Bobonga! Burn!". There's only one 燃えよ!.http://vgmdb.net/search?do=results&id=119946. Don't really want to go updating a "staple" soundtrack's tracklist if there's some random precedence for it, but I don't see it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 AM

So I have a question: Lavos's Theme was changed to Lavos' Theme and Burn! Bobonga! Burn! was ...changed? The little tracklist changelog is just listing it in white text without any changes, so I don't know what to make of that. At the same time, the second Burn! is gone. My question is: do these changes reflect the PS1 Sound Test? Remember, this isn't a translation. This is a copy of the PS1 Sound Test. So, the names should match exactly, whether we like them or not.

(Also Lavos' is wrong, it should be Lavos's, just saying.)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:54 AM
Trusted Editor

See the previous reply. I didn't realize it was a soundtest tracklist when I updated, but I did update all the others, too. A sound test tracklist should not be the primary tracklist, I'm not sure why there is no regular "English" one that's translated from the Japanese. And sound test track titles shouldn't be propagated to other albums, imo.