VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:13 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, that's what I meant. The same problem that previously affected the displaying of discs in tracklists.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ah, yeah. Unfortunately when we sort by strings/text rather than numbers, computers regard "10" to be lower than "2" (although some programs such as Windows Explorer can detect numbers in strings and sort correctly).

We do have natural sorting functions (natsort() in PHP) to do this, but MySQL ORDER BY doesn't support it so I guess we'll have to perform an extra sorting step within PHP. It should be doable.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 02:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

One problem with the scan titles, is that all the ones whose titles were entered solely with the open text bar, have an extra space in front of them so they sort wrong. What we'll have to do, is write some code to query them all, and eat the leading whitespaces.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 03:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

- Artist links are now publicly viewable.
- Unlinked artists can be added to groups (note, all artist editing is still restricted to staff/trusted editors for the time being.)
- Scan caption sorting fixed. The problem was some extra whitespace at the beginning of the custom captions.
- You can now add additional notes to reprints while editing the reprint directly. These show up at the beginning of the notes field.
- Adjusted some of the colors in the release type color key.
- Made a few modifications to search to speed up the track title queries.
- Modified the most viewed albums statistic so that it includes both album page and gallery page views. This fixes an inconsistency, where the 30-day window viewcount was higher than the total viewcount.
- Added the album release frequency table to the stats pages.
- Any tracklist with no title is now called "Untitled". This'll make it possible to fix them.
- A few cosmetic changes may also be noticed.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 02:01 AM

I guess this is the place to point out a few (minor) bugs, so I thought I'll do that, they are all related to the Artists' page.

You have a Masharu Iwata in your Database. I think it's pretty obvious what to change here.

Konami Kukeiha Club also appears two times, one time as Konami Kukeiha Club and one time as Kukeiha Club.

For "More than Mario" you've listed a composer called Kazou Ishikawa. I'm not sure whether he's spelled wrong in the album or just here, but it's Kozue Ishikawa actually.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 03:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, FPI. Those are nice catches. I took care of Masaharu Iwata, and finished taking care of Kozue Ishikawa.

As for KKC, there are two of them:

- Konami Kukeiha Club is the sound team that composed game music.
- Kukeiha Club is the band that was formed by members of KKC, and made some albums.

Of course, the difference is pretty subtle.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Hey, FPI. Those are nice catches. I took care of Masaharu Iwata, and finished taking care of Kozue Ishikawa.
Wow, that was fast, very nice!

Quote:
As for KKC, there are two of them:

- Konami Kukeiha Club is the sound team that composed game music.
- Kukeiha Club is the band that was formed by members of KKC, and made some albums.

Of course, the difference is pretty subtle.
Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed that these two groups would be different ones (or at least somewhat different). But int hat case everything correct, of course.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I would like to insist that if features are disabled when a user is not logged in, they are made aware of why the features aren't working. I was boggled when I couldn't view full scans or add any new scans. Only to later realize I wasn't logged in.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I would like to insist that if features are disabled when a user is not logged in, they are made aware of why the features aren't working. I was boggled when I couldn't view full scans or add any new scans. Only to later realize I wasn't logged in.
Originally, all of those menu options, including submission and scan viewing, were visible to guests, and returned an error message when followed. This was all fine, until I watched the Googlebot sit there for a solid week, and continually try to access every one of those links (probably about 32,000 of them at the time) to the detriment of actually doing any real indexing. Even metatagging them as noindex/nofollow didn't stop it from trying.

So, I'd like there to be some kind of warning too, but we can't really afford to make it so difficult for our site to be correctly indexed, so this is going to require creative solution.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I changed it so that the edit menu gives guests a little message stating that you need to be logged in to edit. It's not a link, so it won't affect the indexing.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:12 AM

One other thing I noticed. I guess it's not really a bug, but it bothered me a bit:
I noticed you have only a limited space for the artist field (and probably for some other fields, too), which means that you can't put all artists in the field. It's not a big deal at the moment, since you can put everything in the notes-field of course (as suggested in the description), but with the new artist links in the works that doesn't make much sense, because that would mean the discography for some of them would be somewhat incomplete in a few cases.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd been meaning to do that, so I just doubled the size of the composer/aranger/performer fields. That should be plenty.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:59 PM

Hehe, I agree! Thanks for that!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:36 PM
VGMdb Staff

If you add too many artists however you'll end up stretching the field, as evident in this entry: http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=4608.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
If you add too many artists however you'll end up stretching the field, as evident in this entry: http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=4608.
Just noting that we're awesome for breaking that field. :-D But in all seriousness, at least it makes it an issue now as opposed to later. Will the blue background for the album info be programmed to further expand if you collapse the window and thus increase the vertical space of the info?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'll have to let Gigablah handle that one.

Meanwhile, might as well advance 1 more tick:

- Awesome new display filter added to artist pages. This way, you can filter the discography based on release type.
- New fields added to artist display (bloodtype, death, etc.)
- New topbar navigation style
- Some site navigation changes
- Fixed a bug where some fields weren't correctly pulling certain information from the parent album when a reprint was created.
- Added more info to the child albums pulldown (date, media, foreign printing.)
- Reprints now have their own notes field, which displays above the parent's notes.
- Artist field sizes doubled to accomodate albums with a lot of credits.
- Added top artist view statistics to the stats page.
- Changed to a numeric display format on stats page.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:09 AM

Another small thing:
Yasuhiro Kawamaki does not exist, I mistyped Yasuhiro Kawakami in "Super Famicom Magazine Vol.9". I tried to change that, but after the linking was done, it seems I can't change the information anymore. It's fixed in the notes so far. Sorry for the trouble.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, one an album is linked, any changes to that field don't show up anymore (though they do show up on the gallery page.) We'll have to think of a way to handle this case until the artist linking system is usable by the public.

Meanwhile, I've deleted Kawamaki and created new links to the correct artist.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Just noting that we're awesome for breaking that field. :-D But in all seriousness, at least it makes it an issue now as opposed to later. Will the blue background for the album info be programmed to further expand if you collapse the window and thus increase the vertical space of the info?
I'm pleased to announce, after much hair-pulling due to the infamous 3-pixel jog bug in IE6, that the album info box now stretches to its contents.

Also, if you guys haven't, go and try out the discography filter in the artist profile pages. I'm rather proud of it :3
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:37 AM

Uh, I screwed up again, this time in Super Famicom Magazine Vol.10.
I tried to add a tracklist, but forgot a track, but it seems after you add a tracklist, you can't add a track anymore. I tried it with adding the tracklist from scratch again, but instead of replacing the old one, I got two english ones, and since the system understand that there are only 39 tracks in Tracklist 1, it only adds 39 to the second one as well (ok, not really, the 40 tracks are shown, but the play lenght doesn't change)

So I would like to request that someone delete both tracklists, so that I can add one which actually works and is somewhat correct.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I deleted the 39-track tracklist for you.

I noticed that, like you said, when I switched between the tracklists, the track times weren't updated. However, when I deleted the bad tracklist, the other one fixed itself. So, it looks like that, when the tracklists are switched, the only things that are updated are the track names, not the track times.

This may or may not be a bug, depending on how you look at it. Just pulling the track names without changing the times should be fine, because the only thing that should switch between tracklists are the names, so any reason that the times should be updated means that there's an error in one of the tracklists. But, as FPI showed, if one tracklist is messed up, it can screw up other tracklists too.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:52 PM

Many thanks for that!

I think the best way to fix that would be to implement the possibility to add tracks in the "Edit Tracklist" menu. So far, you can add/change tracknames and the running time for each track, but if you set up the tracklist before with 39 tracks in total, you can't do anything about it anymore. At the time I noticed my mistake, it kind of surprised me, actually.

On a minor note, it also shouldn't be possible to add two different tracklists for the same language, that doesn't seem to make much sense, but these are pretty minor details at the moment I would guess. The site is really coming along nicely so far.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post
On a minor note, it also shouldn't be possible to add two different tracklists for the same language, that doesn't seem to make much sense, but these are pretty minor details at the moment I would guess.
It's kind of weird, but it does have some use. The best example I can think of is from the Okami soundtrack. The track titles on the album refer to Japanese places and characters (of course), and the direct translations of these titles differ from the translations in the English localization of the game. So, there are two English tracklists: a direct translation and a translation incorporating the English in-game names. Best of both worlds.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post
Uh, I screwed up again, this time in Super Famicom Magazine Vol.10.
I tried to add a tracklist, but forgot a track, but it seems after you add a tracklist, you can't add a track anymore. I tried it with adding the tracklist from scratch again, but instead of replacing the old one, I got two english ones, and since the system understand that there are only 39 tracks in Tracklist 1, it only adds 39 to the second one as well (ok, not really, the 40 tracks are shown, but the play lenght doesn't change)

So I would like to request that someone delete both tracklists, so that I can add one which actually works and is somewhat correct.
Same problem in "Xanadu - The Legend of Dragon Slayer". Please that someone deletes the tracklist with twelve tracks, thanks in advance.

Btw, what is those crazy / that appear elsewhere.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
Same problem in "Xanadu - The Legend of Dragon Slayer". Please that someone deletes the tracklist with twelve tracks, thanks in advance.
Done. Though I'm not really sure where the /'s you're referring to are?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

isdapi: Do a manual refresh to update the CSS definitions, the slashes will disappear.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, everyone. I'm settled in at my new place, and am back online now, so things should be getting back to normal.

The way the tracktimes work, is that they are always taken from the default tracklist, so if the default listing is changed to a new tracklist that has no times, then they no longer display. This behaviour can seem a bit strange, and I think we ultimately want to change it to something that makes more sense.

It's true that adding and deleting tracks isn't supported, but I think the easiest and cleanest way to handle that kind of edit is to delete the old tracklist and just paste in the new one.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Need a deletion of the misnumbered tracklist here: http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=5397

Went off the website tracklist, which was double-spaced, and ended up with tracks 01, 03, 05, etc. I already readded the list with proper numbers. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Looks like a re-design of the tracklist submission interface and process is in order
Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

A happy accident then. Glad to (inadvertently) help.
Closed Thread