VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:25 PM

Default What exactly is Label Gate copy protection?

I've noticed that some album reprints on the site make mention of Label Gate copy protection being removed from that release.
I was curious to know what exactly Label Gate copy protection was and if it was something you should avoid if a version of that album without it exists.
From what I can gather online it seems to be interned as a piracy prevention measure, does that mean that CD ripping programs such as Exact Audio Copy would have difficulty ripping CDs featuring Label Gate copy protection?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 07:32 AM
Trusted Editor

Label Gate is a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment and they put copy protection on about ~400 Japanese-only cds back in the early 2000s. All CCCD methods break the redbook / CDDA standard which means it can't be advertised as a "CD" (cd logo can't be put on it) and will potentially have problems being played in regular CD players, PCs, or ripped. Label Gate CCCD took it a step further and separated the disc into two sessions. One that could be played on normal CD players (sometimes) and not on PCs or ripped, and a second session that when put in a computer would use software to determine if it was your first time (free) or second+ (not free) and allow you to copy it. The first version (MAGIQLIP) phoned home and required an internet connection. The second version (MAGIQLIP2) did not.

Eventually, Label Gate was phased out and not used. Due in part to public backlash (both users and artists), general lack of adoption (Cactus Data Shield was more prevalent), the advent of online and streaming services like iTunes, and the general consensus that CCCD was largely unsuccessful.

If you intend on playing or copying any CD you should never buy a copy protected CD because there is no guarantee it will work. You should especially not buy a Label Gate copy protected CD because it almost certainly will not work.

fyi, Label Gate is the company that owns and operates mora.jp. They moved into the streaming business shortly after the CCCD business.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83...83%BC%E3%83%88
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82...%BC%E3%83%88CD
Old Dec 24, 2019, 09:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the break down, I'll be sure to avoid them, is there by chance a list anywhere detailing which albums featured Label Gate copy protection?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 09:55 PM

Doing an advanced search for "label gate" in notes returns a few albums, but a lot of them only mention it on the reprint where it was removed and not on the original print where it was actually a problem. I'd suggest adding a note on any album that has Label Gate since it's such a huge detriment to those versions.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:05 PM

Can CDs with the Cactus Data Shield still be properly ripped in EAC? I've been careful to avoid any printings that had it out of fear that they couldn't, but it turns out that I do own at least a few releases which have it. Namely the Sonic Heroes OST, the Sonic Heroes Vocal Trax and the Billy Hatcher OST.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 08:42 AM
Trusted Editor

It depends on your drive, this is why Plextor are generally considered best for audio extraction.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 01:55 AM

I have a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-S09JX which I believe I purchased a little over half a decade ago. I specifically imported it from Japan because I had read that it was one of the best drives for ripping CDs, I'm not sure how well it compares to any of the Plextor brand ones though.