VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 14, 2020, 09:03 PM

Default Asking anime OST experts for advice

I've been looking more and more into anime music. I would like anyone who is familiar with any of the following series as to what are the best soundtracks to get a feel for the music of each one. I'm assuming best of's and boxes but I am not entirely sure:

Gundam
Macross
Card Captor Sakura
Fate Stay Night
Ghost in the Shell
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Lucky Star
Patlabor
Sailor Moon
Shakugan no Shana
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Urusei Yatsura
Ef - Fairy Tale of Two and Memories
K-on!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:38 AM

Not an expert, but:

Gundam
Hugely varied types of soundtracks across a sprawling series, representing many different composers. I think it would be very difficult to recommend one or even several that give an idea for the franchise as a whole. Maybe there's a certain era of the series you are more interested in?

Ghost in the Shell
Speaking only for the original movies and SAC, both are very different. You've got Kenji Kawai's moody atmospheric stuff from the films, and Yoko Kanno's gargantuan masterwork that is the SAC series. Because SAC spans like seven discs worth of music, I would direct you to either OST#1 as a really good mood-setter for what SAC is and Kanno's treatment of it, or OST#3 for some of the most amazingly imaginative and memorable anime music you'll ever hear (not hyperbole).

As a side note, a full listen of all SAC soundtracks roughly in order is an incredible experience. To be honest I wouldn't recommend that anyone "ruin" it with a best of or compilation or anything like that. I can pretty much guarantee you'll love them.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
Sailor Moon
I take it you mean the original Japanese soundtrack (composed mainly by Takanori Arisawa) and not the DiC Entertainment Dub?

This album has various music from the first four seasons (some that appear in other albums and some that do not):

https://vgmdb.net/album/28536

For me, it came from listening to the SFC video games, which Takanori Arisawa did the music for as well:

https://vgmdb.net/album/6094
https://vgmdb.net/album/2959
https://vgmdb.net/album/2960

The soundtracks are all arranged and pretty much sound like how they would in the anime.

So if you're into beat em ups and fighting, that's a start.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Not an expert, but:

Gundam
Hugely varied types of soundtracks across a sprawling series, representing many different composers. I think it would be very difficult to recommend one or even several that give an idea for the franchise as a whole. Maybe there's a certain era of the series you are more interested in?

Ghost in the Shell
Speaking only for the original movies and SAC, both are very different. You've got Kenji Kawai's moody atmospheric stuff from the films, and Yoko Kanno's gargantuan masterwork that is the SAC series. Because SAC spans like seven discs worth of music, I would direct you to either OST#1 as a really good mood-setter for what SAC is and Kanno's treatment of it, or OST#3 for some of the most amazingly imaginative and memorable anime music you'll ever hear (not hyperbole).

As a side note, a full listen of all SAC soundtracks roughly in order is an incredible experience. To be honest I wouldn't recommend that anyone "ruin" it with a best of or compilation or anything like that. I can pretty much guarantee you'll love them.

I will check out the SAL albums. Thanks.
For Gundam I am not really familiar with the eras. Maybe some around the 80's, 90's era?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I take it you mean the original Japanese soundtrack (composed mainly by Takanori Arisawa) and not the DiC Entertainment Dub?

This album has various music from the first four seasons (some that appear in other albums and some that do not):

https://vgmdb.net/album/28536

For me, it came from listening to the SFC video games, which Takanori Arisawa did the music for as well:

https://vgmdb.net/album/6094
https://vgmdb.net/album/2959
https://vgmdb.net/album/2960

The soundtracks are all arranged and pretty much sound like how they would in the anime.

So if you're into beat em ups and fighting, that's a start.
Yeah, the Japanese. It's been a while since I heard the SFC games. I'll check all these out. Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Not an expert, but:

Gundam

Ghost in the Shell

After some research I decided to go with Gundam 30th Anniversary Songs 145, 40th Anniversary Best Anime Mix I and II (I think it's a dj type arrange so I will just see which songs I like to most and look them up), Gundam Ending Selection, and Gundam Singles I, II, and III. I think that covers a good amount?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 04:50 AM

Cool

Quote:
After some research I decided to go with Gundam 30th Anniversary Songs 145, 40th Anniversary Best Anime Mix I and II (I think it's a dj type arrange so I will just see which songs I like to most and look them up), Gundam Ending Selection, and Gundam Singles I, II, and III. I think that covers a good amount?
Hello friend!
You are interested in songs or instrumental music? Because those you wrote are song compilations.
If you are more song person than instrumental composition person, please don´t reed below.

I am now talking about instrumental music (music score) not songs.
I would say the best Gundam is Toshihiko Sahashi´s Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny & Yasuo Higuchi´s After War Gundam X.
There are also works by Akira Senju´s and Tanaka Kohei´s which have right sound...at least for me.
Yugo Kanno´s & Masaru Yokoyama´s last entries to franchise are also great.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Hello friend!
You are interested in songs or instrumental music? Because those you wrote are song compilations.
If you are more song person than instrumental composition person, please don´t reed below.

I am now talking about instrumental music (music score) not songs.
I would say the best Gundam is Toshihiko Sahashi´s Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny & Yasuo Higuchi´s After War Gundam X.
There are also works by Akira Senju´s and Tanaka Kohei´s which have right sound...at least for me.
Yugo Kanno´s & Masaru Yokoyama´s last entries to franchise are also great.
Both. I didn't realize I was going into straight vocals. It's funny you mention those three series because I was looking at them just now. I'll check out those works you explained after. Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 08:32 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Hello friend!
Exactly, the difference can't be stated enough between song collections and OST's.

Quote:
What about Kō Ōtani's Gundam Wing OST? Despite the show, wouldn't that also be a good one?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Patlabor
The Patlabor Concert Tour '92 is my favorite.

https://vgmdb.net/album/19886

But really, ANYTHING Kenji Kawai is great. He is kind of like Hiroyuki Sawano in that his "signature" shows up in a lot of his music. So if you like the Patlabor stuff you will probably like most of the other stuff he does as it uses similar instrumentation.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantomConvoy View Post
What about Kō Ōtani's Gundam Wing OST? Despite the show, wouldn't that also be a good one?
Notwithstanding my disagreement with the "despite the show" remark, the music from Gundam Wing is fantastic. It's my favorite of the Gundam score, with Seed and Seed Destiny second. 00 is third. I'm not as familiar with the scores from the other series, but X is one I think I would like.

Sailor Moon's music is covered pretty well by the memorial music and song boxes, and Card Captor Sakura is covered pretty well by the 4 OSTs. I can't really recommend anything else.

My favorite Macross disc is the Sharon Apple - Cream Puf album. There a handful of good songs on the two Macross Plus soundtracks, but that isn't comprehensive of the series as a whole.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 01:14 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGazelMinistry View Post
00 is third.
For some reason the difference between 00 and most of the other Gundam series BGM is like comparing 480p to 1080p (in terms of clarity).