VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:46 PM

Default Please help me verify this CD's authenticity...

Hey everyone,
Great site - I've spent hours looking through VGM album information here over the years and I'm excited to finally be a part of the forum!

So for my question: Can someone who owns a physical copy of Game Music Concert 3 tell me what's printed on the inside ring of their CD? (both in the metallic part, and in the plastic) I'd like to verify that mine is in fact legitimate and not a well done pirated copy.

I just picked it up on eBay. The seller had spotless feedback, the booklet and case look good, and the disc looks professional front and back. Catalog number checks out in all places, and it has proper spelling and listing of all of Sony's logos, etc.

However, on the inner metallic ring of the CD, there's very little info. There's only one set of numbers reading "DS-3013" with a "1" by itself a few spaces away. Across the disc from those, there's what looks to be a bar code. There's also the letters "SMJ" pressed into the plastic near the hole.

The catalog number (SRCL-2732) is not on the inner ring and the CD pre-dates IFPI SID implementation by two years, so there's no SID. These are always my surefire way to indicate if a disc is real or not, but since these measures weren't standardized yet and didn't appear on any discs pre-1995, I can't rely on them for volumes 1-3 of this set.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:14 PM

There seems to be a picture of the disc for the release on the game page itself:

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=7707

I'd go by that until someone can answer your question who actually owns the CD.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:52 PM

Thanks Don,
I wasn't a member before this post so I couldn't see that enlarged picture until now . Looks like it has the same markings, so unless both mine and the sample picture are elaborate bootlegs, I think I'm in the clear. Then again, the paranoid collector inside of me would love some verification from another member...