VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:46 AM

Default Alfa ALR-6012 Yellow Magic Orchestra

What are everybody's thoughts on adding this one (along with the American versions) to the database? I suppose it is the first album that contains tracks that are based on music from actual videogames (never heard it myself though...). Since the samples, from the arcade games "Circus" and "Space Invaders" were recreated on a synthethizer, it would fall under the "arranged" category. Apparently the music from Space Invaders included in track 2 is somewhat different from the original Taito arcade game. I don't know how faithful the bits from "Circus" are. On the (Japanese) Wikipedia page it says they tried to record the music from Circus from the actual arcade machine, but didn't like it and remade it on synthesizer. To clarify, the two tracks I'm talking about are the following:

Track 01: COMPUTER GAME "Theme From The Circus"
Track 05: COMPUTER GAME "Theme From The Invader"

So, any opinions on this one?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It sounds like it definitely qualifies under the "doujin" category to me.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:03 AM

The first ever VGM release a doujin album? Who'd have thought
I assume it would be a doujin album because it was not officially endorsed by the games' creators, right? I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't, actually.

I just gave the two tracks a listen and it's mostly what I expected; more sound effects than (melodic) music really. Even so, track one contains a few jingles like "the funeral march", though I hardly think those were original to the arcade game.

In any case, YMO was clearly inspired by the sound of these games, regardless of whether we might label that sound as music or sfx (I sort of doubt this distinction can be made in the first place). I think this album would make a good addition for it's historic value alone.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm not sure actually. We've been using a broader definition of 'doujin' to cover unsanctioned arrangements, and not just the doujin press in Japan. But we don't really know about this one though. Since it was released on an official label, that might mean they got permission to sample the arcade sounds.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:44 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I don't know why, and what is the relation between both bands..

But "Oriental Magnetic Yellow" was "inspired ?" "parodying ?" Yellow Magic Orchestra..
At least in the name of the band, and they also parodied albums covers.

Anyone know why?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I don't know why, and what is the relation between both bands..

But "Oriental Magnetic Yellow" was "inspired ?" "parodying ?" Yellow Magic Orchestra..
At least in the name of the band, and they also parodied albums covers.

Anyone know why?
Basically, Shinji Hosoe and the other members of OMY were all big fans of YMO back in the days before their first breakup. But when YMO returned from their breakup in '93, with new material (which didn't quite sound like old-school YMO), Hosoe created OMY both as a tribute and in an effort to recreate the original YMO sound. And not only the album titles were "parodies" of YMO's, but also the stage names they used and some tracktitles.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:40 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Thanks for the clarifications seanne.