VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 9, 2011, 06:43 PM

So, does this mean that Hot-B not only published the Mega Drive version of Insector X, but developed it as well? And that a composer at Hot-B composed the music for the Mega Drive version? Granted, the music is totally different from the Taito arcade version.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:15 AM

As far as I know, it was developed by Hot-B (as was the original arcade version), but I don't think they had any internal sound staff. It was probably composed by someone at Cube. (Masaru Suzuki, perhaps?)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:30 PM

The arcade version was developed by Taito and also published by them. But the Mega Drive version was published by Hot-B. It's unclear if Taito developed the Mega Drive version, but after seeing that this album has Hot-B listed as the composer, I'm now thinking that Hot-B developed the Mega Drive version and Taito only licensed the concept/characters to them.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:51 AM

Nope, it and Chuka Taisen (Cloud Master) were done by Hot-B, and I've been able to confirm that. (Also, "HTB" is in the high score table.)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:29 PM

So, Taito only published the arcade version? If Taito didn't develop it, how come the Mega Drive version is licensed by them? If Taito didn't create the characters and stuff, it seems like they wouldn't have to license anything. Or did Taito become owners of the rights to the game when they published it for the arcade, and then licensed it to the creators of the game (Hot-B) so that the creators could publish it for the Mega Drive? Also, just out of curiosity, where did you find confirmation that Hot-B developed Insector X for the arcade?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrk506 View Post
Or did Taito become owners of the rights to the game when they published it for the arcade?
Yes.

I should also mention the MD version uses a Cube sound driver.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:08 AM

May I say that this is a fine album? GROOVING DRIVER (City) is one hell of a groovy track. Has an 80s Miami-Vice-type feel that I totally adore.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:51 AM

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=41905

Satake: At the time, Hot B had finished making Chuka Taisen for Taito, and the sales were very good. So we drew up plans for a game called "Konchuu Taisen" [["Insect War"]]. We had worked it up as an insect version of Taito's Darius games, and the insects would be drawn in a realistic fashion. However, in the middle of development Taito talked to us about making the game with cute, childish characters. We changed the title to "Insector X" then, too. By the way, the Megadrive version of "Insector X" was designed to be a realistic insect game from the beginning, so the atmosphere is totally different. When I joined Hot B, I started out doing the debugging for the arcade version of Insector X, but when we decided to make a Famicom port, I ended up overseeing that.