VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 18, 2015, 09:44 AM

Default Video games with CD audio tracks

I have a question: Are games that have CD audio tracks (some PS1, SS, Sega CD and PC games) allowed to be entered as albums? And why or why not?

Last edited by RingoStarr39; May 18, 2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fixing mistake
Old May 18, 2015, 12:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Can't find the previous discussions on this, but I'm 99% sure we said no. They weren't published as "soundtracks", and it would get messy having hundreds of them in the database. Not to mention, many of them would just be duplicates of the actual soundtrack.
Old May 18, 2015, 02:12 PM

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:41 AM

Could I offer a suggestion to this? Would it be possible to have a cutoff for acceptance, based on the amount of music contained as redbook audio. There are quite a few CD games that only have 2-3 redbook audio tracks and the rest as data, so it might not make sense to have all of these. For others, like Lords of Thunder and the Turbo Duo Ys games, the CD-ROM tends to serve as the entire, full length soundtrack and in some (most) cases, is not available anywhere else.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Can't find the previous discussions on this, but I'm 99% sure we said no. They weren't published as "soundtracks", and it would get messy having hundreds of them in the database. Not to mention, many of them would just be duplicates of the actual soundtrack.
I agree with this, but it's no worse than trying to log each and every doujin or fan release that comes out. While the CD-ROM with the redbook audio is not a "proper" release, the music itself is definitely official and that would make it higher priority to me than fan arranges.

I would challenge the above decision for redbook audio, solely on those grounds.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:47 AM

I also think it should be noted that certain games actually were marketed/sold as containing the soundtrack. I think those should definitely be allowed.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:15 AM

See also all the previous discussion on this topic: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:vgmdb.net+redbook

Status: Was initially (up to 2009?) planned as part of allowing other formats within the products categories. May be too much work in addition to what's already covered.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
See also all the previous discussion on this topic: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:vgmdb.net+redbook

Status: Was initially (up to 2009?) planned as part of allowing other formats within the products categories. May be too much work in addition to what's already covered.
I see a pretty healthy debate, as both sides make good points for and against. To me, having a "format" in redbook audio accompanying the game one of the unique things that makes VGM special and I'm fine with not having all of these "hidden gems" out in the open, since I already know about a large portion of them. But again, I would put them far and above the endless amount of fan arrange releases.

Might I propose a yes/no poll if it has not been done yet on the topic?
Old May 30, 2015, 03:51 PM

So, any luck/news with this? I think that some of them should be allowed.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 08:23 PM

Track 1 - Warning
Track 2 - [game data]
Track 3 - Sound of Crickets Chirping
Old Jun 5, 2015, 01:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
I agree with this, but it's no worse than trying to log each and every doujin or fan release that comes out. While the CD-ROM with the redbook audio is not a "proper" release, the music itself is definitely official and that would make it higher priority to me than fan arranges.
I think it's more on the fact that it wasn't released or published as a soundtrack, and having the audio playable on a CD player was just a bonus of it being Redbook audio.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 04:20 AM

What about the few of them that were released as a game and a soundtrack?