VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I tryed to add the original composer credits for the album, here's what should be verified:

Shinobi 3: i credited all 3 composers known for the soundtrack [Masayuki Nagao, Hirofumi Murasaki, Morihiko Akiyama], i don't think we ever had a detailled breakdown.
Altered Beast: not sure about this one, Genesis version seems to be credited to Toshio Kai and not Master.
Gadget Twins: two composers, Barry Leitch, Ian Howe, the second one is credited for the title music.
Rocket Knight Adventures: i haven't credited this game at all since i don't have a breakdown and there's a lot of poeple credited here: Masanori Ohuchi, Aki Hata, Masanori Adachi, Hiroshi Kobayashi, Michiru Yamane.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:21 PM

Genesis Altered Beast was by Kazuhiko Nagai ("Nav").
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:51 PM

Kazuhiko Nagai wasn't the actual composer on the Genesis version of Altered Beast. He only adapted the music from the arcade version, which was composed by Toshio Kai. So, as far as original composer credits go, the Genesis version of Altered Beast was by Toshio Kai.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I want to know how Toshio Kai came to be associated with Altered Beast in the first place, since the only credits in the game are two- and three-letter abbreviations without specified roles and Kai's only confirmed game I know of is Namco's Pac-Man. This attribution has always made no sense to me without any other evidence.

"Master" comments on the music from Altered Beast on Galaxy Force -G.S.M. SEGA 1-, but I dunno what he's saying. Master is Tohru Nakabayashi, who I guess could be the "NAK." in Altered Beast's credits.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:50 PM

I think you're right actually. At first, I thought that Toshio Kai was "TOS." but after seeing that Master composed the Altered Beast music as listed on the SST album, it would make sense that "NAK." was short for Nakabayashi and that Tohru Nakabayashi was the actual composer.

Last edited by ntwrk506; Sep 10, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:58 PM

And yeah, where does the Toshio Kai connection come from? How did that get started?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:38 AM

Wikipedia, as I recall. (Kai also turns up on the Canadian copyright record for Galaga, BTW.)