VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:38 AM

Default Spotlight on: First Stage Music

It's the first thing you hear when the action starts. It pumps you up. It sets the initial mood. Platformers, beat 'em ups, racing, arcade, console... it spans a wide variety.

It's nearly its own subgenre of music.

Here are some examples (I'll leave out the obvious ones, like Green Hill Zone, Corneria, etc.)

Knights of the Round is a perfect example of that excitement & adrenaline administered at the start of the game.

Although not my favorite of the series, Double Dragon 3 had a certain aesthetic value to it, thanks in part to the music (not composed by Kazunaka Yamane in this one).

Everything in Last Blade was beautiful. I don't remember if this music was always played first, though.

Some are more relaxed, in Mega Man 8's case, likely to emphasize the ill-fated present with the eeriness of the past (notice the destroyed Mecha Dragon in the background).

Looking back at Wave Race 64, I can't remember how I managed to stand that announcer.

What's your favorite starting stage theme?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:50 AM

Holocaust (from "The Terminator" SEGA Genesis/Megadrive) [at proper speed]

It actually was the song which started my love for VGM
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:52 AM

All pretty good picks so far, especially like Last Blade and Wave Race 64.

Couple I'm really fond of:

- All of Namiki's - he is The Master, my favourites of his are probably Mushihimesama Futari, Ketsui and DeathSmiles IIX. What I particularly like about his stage 1 themes is the element of subtlety i.e I usually dislike them until after about 3-4 listens, as i often can't even make out any distint melody up until then. You can of course say this about any piece of music, but it's like Namiki's aware of this and makes the journey of listening to his music all the more interesting.

- Gain Ground, played this over the weekend with a nonVGMer (filthy scum pah pah) and oh how awesome it was.

- Metal Black, another one that's surprisingly melancholy for a stage 1 theme.

- Some others I've recently been in the mood for include Dragon Spirit, Bullet Soul, Akai Katana and ESPGaluda II Black Label
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Holocaust (from "The Terminator" SEGA Genesis/Megadrive) [at proper speed]

It actually was the song which started my love for VGM
I looked for a Youtube video of the first stage to hear that in context, but the level didn't do the music justice. Plus, it's the Genesis version, so it's all sped up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkluv View Post
- Gain Ground, played this over the weekend with a nonVGMer (filthy scum pah pah) and oh how awesome it was.
This one's really catchy!

What? Only two responses? Oh well, this will be open all month, (& longer) before I post another spotlight & force this thread into obscurity.

Anyway, here's some moar!!

How can we not have Strider?

I think Violinist of Hameln is an obscure game. Is this SFC only? I'm not sure.

Ghost Sweeper Mikami saw an SFC release composed by Kinuyo Yamashita!

I like how Mushroom Hill Zone isn't trying to be another "Green Hill Zone." It's slower paced, as emphasized by the music & the various platforming elements: climbing, lever-pulling, mushroom hopping; it forces you to slow down (or at least tries to).

I wanted to add Laxey Coast from Manx TT Superbike, but I couldn't find a video with just the stage music. The gameplay footage drowns out the music.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:21 PM

Megaman 8 <3 I really enjoyed that game too~ And announcers? I don't know. Some of them can really grow on you.

Goodness, that Deathsmiles tune. It`s so uplifting! So fun! I just might put that soundtrack next on my list. By the by, it gives a vibe similar to DECO*27 or Vividblaze. Ever heard of them?

I bloody loved the theme music that played in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Funny, since this was the first game that had me enthusiastically listening to Sound Tests -and I didn't even realize it!

Also, it's not the most fast paced thing in the world, but the first stage tune in Fragile -really- got me into it.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravebeat View Post
Goodness, that Deathsmiles tune. It`s so uplifting! So fun! I just might put that soundtrack next on my list. By the by, it gives a vibe similar to DECO*27 or Vividblaze. Ever heard of them?
Well, I have now, good stuff!
Old May 16, 2012, 02:24 PM

Batman (MD). It's Sunsoft, what else can you say.
Yousuke Yasui is another great example of how to do 1st stage themes, like he did Eschatos.
Simon Belmont's theme has to be one of the best things Konami has ever put out. I still struggle to fully handle its epicness every time I listen to it.
But like jdkluv already said, Namiki is one of the top masters in this field, with an almost perfect track record. Seriously.

Actually I have many more favorites, but it's getting late, these will do for now.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!