VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:18 AM

Default Composition Combat update

I wanted to provide an update on Composition Combat.

First, as I stated earlier, the scores as displayed are not accurate. They include votes that are not valid and which dilute the results to prevent people from being unduly influenced by the scores. The invalid votes were purposely inserted and will not be included in the final totals. Additionally, I'm inserting these invalid votes every single day, so nobody will know how many real votes there actually are until the competition concludes.

Second, from looking at the valid votes, it seems to me that the voting is, to this point, amazingly fair. There aren't any songs where everyone is voting 7, and no songs are being punished with all 1s. People are taking the voting seriously, and the majority (remember, a majority is greater than 50%!) of people are voting for 8 or more songs. That's unbelievable. If things continue as they are, we may have proven that people are generally good and that it is possible to hold a competition on the Internet without rampant hacking and cheating.

Third, the huge number of votes is causing a slowdown in the song charts on the homepage. I hope to fix this issue within a few days. Voting should not be affected, since links directly from the entries thread do not lead to any pages affected by the problem.

Finally, I also want to point out that, while the current ranking order of the contestants in the displayed scores is not correct, the fact that the competition is extremely close is indeed correct. There is obviously a talented pool of competitors and it is showing in the voting results.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:33 AM

Speaking of invalid votes, I just got off the phone with my grandma who is like "I got a link to your song from your dad, and I loved it! I gave it seven stars like 8 times!"

... -_-
Thanks Grandma.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:10 AM

"First, as I stated earlier, the scores as displayed are not accurate. They include votes that are not valid and which dilute the results to prevent people from being unduly influenced by the scores. The invalid votes were purposely inserted and will not be included in the final totals. Additionally, I'm inserting these invalid votes every single day, so nobody will know how many real votes there actually are until the competition concludes."

Wouldn't it be easier to keep the results hidden until the voting period has ended? Why go to the trouble of making up fake interim results?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Toad View Post
"First, as I stated earlier, the scores as displayed are not accurate. They include votes that are not valid and which dilute the results to prevent people from being unduly influenced by the scores. The invalid votes were purposely inserted and will not be included in the final totals. Additionally, I'm inserting these invalid votes every single day, so nobody will know how many real votes there actually are until the competition concludes."

Wouldn't it be easier to keep the results hidden until the voting period has ended? Why go to the trouble of making up fake interim results?
Kidd, don't worry about that. Most likely, those votes won't even be stored in the database because it's so obvious what happened that the software automatically handled them.

As to the results being hidden, that's pretty difficult because the star rating system is third-party software. Attempting to add a feature to hide the results could result in a bug that shuts down voting altogether. That could affect the results, so I don't want to change any code that has to do with the rating system. On the other hand, it will only take one query to delete all the bad rows from the database when voting ends.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:55 AM

Good to hear, quintin.