VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default VGMDB scan naming rule?

Does vgmdb have a rule on naming any form of scan?
For example if we takes booklets, there are different form:

- Booklet x
- Booklet xx-xx
- Booklet pg. xx-xx

Maybe the last form it's the better one especially if a booklet has a page numeration, but which is the best behaviour if booklet's numeration is missing?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

There are different name sets because over time we tryed to be more accurate.
I should make a "guideline" post about scans, maybe i will and i'll explain more my ideas there.

Booklet x should be definitely avoided.
While booklet xx-xx is ok.

I think the best solution is to use the pg. xx-xx now, even if pages are not numbered.
But it's more complicated than that...

I am using this name set now in that particular order:

* Booklet Front & Back / Booklet Interior (for "4" 2x2 pages booklets) [EX: album]
- you can also use 2 different scans (ex: Booklet Front ... Booklet Back) [EX: album]
numbered pages
* For the interior pages, always use the numbering if there is any
- if the first page is not numbered and the second page is "01", then use "00" for the first page (ex: Booklet pg. 00-01) [EX: album]
non-numbered pages
* For the interior pages, always use "01-02" as the first pages (ex: Booklet pg. 01-02) [EX: album]

For booklets that have more than 2 pages, but only have 2 sides (2x3, 2x4, 2x5..)
Use "Booklet Exterior" and "Booklet Interior". [EX: album]
In that case you'll have to create a single "Front" scan.

That last case is a bit rarer because poeple generally can't scan more than 2 pages.. but we can "fix" them if scans were done the right way.

Then.. we got even more trouble with Digipacks but i'll talk about that another day.

That sounds a bit complicated.. but you guys don't have much to worry as i have been managing that so far.

Last edited by Myrkul; Sep 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's all clear.
But there are special cases on some booklets where internal pages (generally the middle pages where the iron clip are bent) has more than 2 pages on 2 sides; it's not simple to understand.
What's the behaviour on those special cases?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:14 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Hmm i think i see what are you talking about..
Like i said, some albums, like Digipacks and few other layouts are quite hard to number, and sometimes even imagine how it's printed when you do not own the album.

I think about albums like this for example:
1080° Snowboarding Original Sound Track

In fact, if we completely unfold the booklet, there are 2 sides, but it was not meant to be like that.

So, there's a front & back together, (we could call that booklet front/back or booklet exterior)..
At the back of the front & back, there are 2 more page that are hidden by 2 side pages.
In that particular case, i choosed to name them, booklet outer for the 2 side pages, and then booklet inner left and booklet inner right.

This album is printed with only 1 side page for example.

Of course some albums are even more complicated than that..
It really depends on how the album was scanned (single pages, double pages..)
The whole series of Namco's soundtrack xxx for example (ex) is quite complicated and without owning it you can't really understand how the booklet works.

If we could always do it, we should always try to display the booklets completely "unfolded". (that means 3, 4, 5 pages on the biggest booklets)