VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:21 AM

Sure has been a long way... (Please refer to this thread for the Kickstarter project discussion)

Let's dissect the medleys: here's a list of TSA arrangements which blends two or more original tunes. There are surely more but I've come with these at the moment.

1.7 Piranhas & Shredders (Piranha + Shredder)
1.14 Faces of Terror (Faces of Terror + Take Off)
1.18 Loader Medley (T1 Loader + T2 Loader + T3 Loader)

2.3 GI Joe Meets Space Patrol (Hi GI Joe! + Space Patrol)
2.12 Go for the Gunhed (Go for the Gunhed + Take a Look)
2.14 Powerslide Into Hypercycle Drive (Powerslide + Hypercycle Drive)
2.20 Go For The Nuke! (Go For The Nuke! + Yeeaah, Done It!)

3.15 Alien Disaster (Alien Disaster + Bionic Train + Slimy Mutants)

4.1 Anthology Suite (Concerto for Laser and Enemies + The Final Fight + The Great Bath + Freedom)

4.3 Steam And Pressure (Stage 2-1 + Stage 2-2 + Stage 2-3 + Stage 2 Boss)
4.4 Xenomorph (Stage 4-1 + Stage 4-3)

4.5 Final Frontier (Final Frontier + Welcome + Short Cuts)
4.6 Desert Storm (Desert Storm + Skyline + Power Tower)
4.7 Buggy Panic (Buggy Panic + I, Robot + Bullet Ride)
4.9 Space Chaos (Space 8001 + Robot Chaos + Space Ghost)
4.11 Braindead (Alientech + Braindead)
4.14 Pirate Station (Pirate Station + Psycho Spin)
4.16 Face The Sunset (Sunset + TII Final Fight? + Face the Face)

Last edited by The Gambler; Dec 20, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
Trusted Editor

The album is now avaible for backers who donated $25 or more, so all the info is taken from the pdf booklet.

Damn goood stuff so far.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 06:30 PM

.... Hurrah!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:10 AM

Indeed, this is the perfect follow up to the first album.
Studio upgraded versions, covering all the numerous games themes (1 to 3 and the second SNES game).

Not that much additional solos or progressions but the original tunes are quite rich already. And the additional bits shine quite nice (noticeably some cool guitars solos).
Also many tracks, but most stay over 3 minutes. Each 4 CD is also largely over 1 hour, totalling close to 5 hours of music.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:34 AM

And it's available on bandcamp for everyone now, not just Kickstarter's backers.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 08:52 AM

... dammit, he broke it down on four different albums. And no OSV
Old Dec 2, 2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashiec View Post
... dammit, he broke it down on four different albums. And no OSV
Chris Moneymaker.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:38 AM
Trusted Editor

Original sound recordings should come up later. I think the guys who did pledge enough to get the USB stick with them will get them first and so on.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:01 AM

OSV should appear on the USB disk.

I gave the set my first listen. Very nice stuff indeed, though I was surprised how often I noticed tracks I know from the 1993 CD - it almost seemed as it that CD had to be 2-3 hours long :-).

I only have two minor gripes:
1) There is not enough information on the track-to-game assignment (as in, which tracks belong to Turrican 1, which belong to Turrican 3 etc.)
2) I still find the Turrican 3 track from the Immortal 3 album to be the best rendition of Turrican music available. I was kind of hoping this set would beat even that.

Still, I am happy to have the set, and I am sure I will give it a great many listens.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
1) There is not enough information on the track-to-game assignment (as in, which tracks belong to Turrican 1, which belong to Turrican 3 etc.)
CD1 = Turrican 1
CD2 = Turrican 2
CD3 = Turrican 3
CD4 = Super Turrican 1+2
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:12 AM

Specifically, disc four tracks 2-4 are from Super Turrican, while 5-19 are from Super Turrican 2.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

My box set arrived today and while I'm psyched to have it, they put it in a pretty weak envelope mailer. Front of the case has a huge crack in it. ;_;
Old Dec 18, 2013, 02:23 AM

Q: My CD arrived damaged / the case is broken, how do I get a replacement?

A: There are several options to fix this issue: if the print materials and the CDs themselves are not damaged, you could buy a 4 CD case and repair it yourself (and we could possibly send you money for the replacement case) - or - we send you an empty CD case for the repair - or - we can exchange the whole CD Box (we would send you a new box and probably a return envelope with postage). If you have additional questions, please use the contact form on turricansoundtrack.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...k/posts/698321
Old Dec 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erestor View Post
Q: My CD arrived damaged / the case is broken, how do I get a replacement?

A: There are several options to fix this issue: if the print materials and the CDs themselves are not damaged, you could buy a 4 CD case and repair it yourself (and we could possibly send you money for the replacement case) - or - we send you an empty CD case for the repair - or - we can exchange the whole CD Box (we would send you a new box and probably a return envelope with postage). If you have additional questions, please use the contact form on turricansoundtrack.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...k/posts/698321
Yup, just got that email. Fortunately, the front of a double-disc is the same as the back of a regular single-disc. I own plenty of (non-VGM) albums that I can just sub out the parts. I'm appreciative they're offering replacement cases, but I'm not going to drag them through that, and I already made the substitution myself. All good.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The side of the case has what looks to be a catalog number: "TSA2013"

Should we use this?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Each 4 CD is also largely over 1 hour, totalling close to 5 hours of music.
Just compiled the tracklist for the OSV, add to that another staggering 316 minutes!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm gonna go ahead and do packaging scans of this, today or tomorrow.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Alright, scans are up. If someone could click through to make sure nothing got hung up in the uploading, would appreciate it. Also, the liner notes are a great read from Audun Sorlie on the series history and the Kickstarter campaign.

One note: my copy's back cover is signed by Chris Huelsbeck. I *think* anyone who received a physical copy had this done (it was part of the $50 tier IIRC), but I could be wrong. The individual numbering (___ of 2500) would be easy to photoshop out (mine was 1647). But the signature can't be done away with. But if anyone has an unsigned copy to replace the image, might be worth doing.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 02:05 PM

I may be wrong, but I suspect that Chris signed each one of the 2500 boxes on the back. Thanks for the scans!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 02:30 AM

In a Kickstarter project update report, he said he didn't figured the signing would be that huge.
He probably didn't thought the project would be that popular.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 AM

I recently got my copy and it was a long wait. Not just from the initial funding of the kickstarter in June 2012 but the final delivery. It seems it was mailed on December 12th making it nearly 6 weeks in transit. I'm relieved it's all in good order although a replacement case would have been easy enough to sort out.

I initially pledged via paypal as I didn't register on KS until a while afterwards and it was for the 4CDs with USB stick. To anyone else who has the USB stick, is it write protected or can the data be lost/deleted?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:53 AM

I don't think it's write-protected. Which is good thing, you can add some music files to it, like the Super Turrican Winter Holiday Medley which was released some times after shipping.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
I don't think it's write-protected. Which is good thing, you can add some music files to it, like the Super Turrican Winter Holiday Medley which was released some times after shipping.
I actually spoke with Huelsbeck and he confirmed that.
Quote:
The stick is definitely like any other USB Stick and freely re-writable. It would be a good idea to make a backup of the data on one of your hard-drives or even burn it on a DVD-R. But in the event of total data loss, I also have a version in my Dropbox that I can give the link to if necessary.
Good thing you can have the data recovered if you lose it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:21 AM

Default Turrican Soundtrack Anthology Reserve Sale

Just a quick heads up if anyone is still looking for a physical copy for their collection. As of this posting you can find it at:
http://www.turricansoundtrack.com/tsa-reserve-unit-sale
Asking price is $80 plus $19 shipping & handling worldwide. 10% of each unit sold goes to charity to aid children in need.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:02 AM

Thanks for this. I wonder how long shipping will take. I feel bad for those who are spending $300-$500 on Ebay on one.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:41 AM

I forgot to ask. Is this still going to come with the USB stick?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
I forgot to ask. Is this still going to come with the USB stick?
The USB stick is separate from the album altogether, it seems. It wouldn't hurt to ask Chris Huelsbeck himself to see if any are left, but I think the current sale is just for the CD set.

You could also look on Chris Huelsbeck's Bandcamp page. The Original Sound Versions from the USB stick are there to buy for $10 each (Volume 1 for the Amiga soundtracks, Volume 2 for the console soundtracks). I know it's not quite as cool as having the physical medium, but you can still get the music that way.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
Thanks for this. I wonder how long shipping will take. I feel bad for those who are spending $300-$500 on Ebay on one.
I'm not sure they're selling for that price - people try to sell them, but selling it is another matter.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:17 PM

I ordered the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology from the aforementioned site in the wee hours of Thursday morning 4/10. Shortly afterward I received a quick thanks from Chris (very cool) who said it would be sent out asap. Later that day another email told me it had shipped and a tracking number was included. It shipped from California.
Flash forward to Monday 4/14 when the package arrived at my home in the Midwest. I took the Anthology out of its box and bubble wrap. It was y-fold sealed and numbered XXXX/2500. The back cover had also been signed by Mr. Huelsbeck.
The Anthology's packaging is high quality as are the CDs themselves. Please see cover scans for the booklet containing photos of the major players involved as well as artwork and detais of the Kickstarter project itself.
The music is every bit as good as you were told or remember firsthand.

If you're like me and want to keep your list of "VGM that I'm kicking myself for not picking up when I had the chance" as short as possible, by all means- go for it. And the money goes to the man responsible, Chris Huelsbeck, not some random ebayer.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
It was y-fold sealed and numbered XXXX/2500. The back cover had also been signed by Mr. Huelsbeck.
I guess the XXXX stands for the number you received, and you don't want to share? and not an actual "XXXX" printed there instead of a number, right?