VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:47 PM

For track #2, I think the English translation should be "Basement" because in the game, there's no attic but only basement... correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, I reversed the edit because the world translates to Attic or Loft. I don't know anything about the game, or whether this word sometimes has some other meanings. Still, it seems kind of iffy that it would be basement.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I changed a bunch of track titles, but I still think that some of the remaining ones are not quite correct, but I don't have enough experience with the game series.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:22 PM

I'm gonna try and sort this tracklist out. I've found the correct names for a few, but I'm gonna leave the rest for another time.

23 DJ K.K.
24 Forest Life
25 I Love You
26 Boat Song 2001

Got stuck on track 27. I can't seem to find its name. One source says "Only Checks Only" while the other says "K.K. Apocalypse". And nothing similar to those appears in the official strategy guide.

BTW, your house has an attic from the very beginning. You only get the basement as the final renovation to your house.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Doe these new names comes from the soundtest or is this a kind of in-game localization? That name for Track 23 differs quite a bit from "Eurobeat".
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Doe these new names comes from the soundtest or is this a kind of in-game localization? That name for Track 23 differs quite a bit from "Eurobeat".
These tracks are from the official strategy guide released in English. It is possible to listen to music from the game within the game itself and track names appear in a menu to choose from. The strategy guide's listings definately match up with the ones in the game since these track names are required in order to listen to the tracks themselves.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:00 PM

I don't know why this one's called Animal Crossing. It's still どうぶつの森 like the other ones, which is Animal Forest. Should we change it?

Also, I'm wondering about the kanji for Manaka Tominaga's name. I can come up with 富永真央 on some searches, but I don't know if it's the same person (seems to be credited in some places for composing music for Nintendo, which would fit this).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Animal Crossing is the official localized title (also in Japan, judging from this cover: http://vgmdb.net/album/3990)

Unless you're talking about putting Animal Forest in parenthesis in the product field.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:22 PM

Oh okay, sometimes it's still hard to keep track of whether or not we're using names like that. I'll try to keep in mind that if it's an official title, not just a translated one or an American-only one, then it's good to use it.

At least I think I have that right.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm wondering about the composer credits for this album, do they come from the booklet? The game credits Manaka Tominaga and Shiho Fujii with music, and Kazumi Totaka as the sound director: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFhFWcm5cs#t=1m43s.

Nintendo has a vexing tendency not to credit all the people who wrote music specifically with music if they had other sound roles, like in Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Shigetoshi Gohara), Pokemon Stadium (Mitsuhiro Hikino and Masafumi Kawamura), New Super Mario Bros. (Koji Kondo), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Kenta Nagata), etc. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Totaka in fact wrote music for this game, especially since he's composed for previous Animal Crossing games. I'm more curious if Shiho Fujii doesn't in fact have any music on this album.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 03:08 AM

I would be shocked if Kazumi Totaki didn't work on any of this since he's credited on the movie soundtrack which reuses a lot of music from Wild World, same as this game.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
I would be shocked if Kazumi Totaki didn't work on any of this since he's credited on the movie soundtrack which reuses a lot of music from Wild World, same as this game.
Totaka was the sound director on City Folk, same as every AC game. My guess is that Tominaga and Fujii were responsible for remastering the Wild World music for City Folk and composing the few new tracks under Totaka's supervision. I can't read Japanese, but are Manaka Tominaga and Shiho Fujii the only ones credited on the album itself? I think it would be fair to give Totaka a composer credit, and maybe Asuka Ota as well if any of her music from Wild World is here.

This album also has some KK songs by Toru Minegishi from the original game. Should he also be credited?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 04:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Don't know if this album actually has any music credits or not. Current credits are just taken from the game.

If either Totaka or Minegishi for sure has a composition (reprised or original to the game) on this album, then they can be added yeah.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 06:15 PM

Totaka is the only one credited for "game music" on album/5720 and quite a few of those compositions also appear here. That's evidence enough for me, not sure about anyone else
Old Dec 17, 2019, 06:34 PM

I went ahead and added Minegishi and Totaka.

Totaka is in the game's credits, so I think it's fair to add him. Plus Title, 2:00 AM, and Pay Bus Passion are remasters of songs from Wild World that are confirmed to be his.

Also, K.K. Bossa and Go K.K. Rider are confirmed Minegishi.

Side note, where does the name "Pay Bus Passion" come from? The Japanese name is カッペイのバス (Kappei no Basu). Since Kappei = Kapp'n, I think something like "Kapp'n's Bus" would be more accurate...

Last edited by Blob; Dec 17, 2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Aug 3, 2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Side note, where does the name "Pay Bus Passion" come from? The Japanese name is カッペイのバス (Kappei no Basu). Since Kappei = Kapp'n, I think something like "Kapp'n's Bus" would be more accurate...
Kapp'n's Bus definitely makes more sense. But maybe the name comes from the official strategy guide or the game's sound test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontendo View Post
These tracks are from the official strategy guide released in English. It is possible to listen to music from the game within the game itself and track names appear in a menu to choose from.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 06:35 AM

Sounds like an official mistranslation. My favorite.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
Kapp'n's Bus definitely makes more sense. But maybe the name comes from the official strategy guide or the game's sound test?
As far as I'm aware, there is no sound test on City Folk, but all of the Totakeke / K.K. Slider songs have official localizations into English (and pretty much every other language) since they can actually be collected as "aircheck" items and played in the in-game radio item (this is actually true for pretty much every mainline Animal Crossing title). I don't own any strategy guide, but judging by Leontendo's post I believe he was referring to the K.K. Slider tracks.

(also I have no idea about that "Pay Bus Passion" translation, but that's not a K.K. Slider song and I'm rather skeptical about that being an official translation at all)
Old Nov 14, 2021, 06:55 AM

So shouldn't the K.K. Slider songs be translated into their official English translations then?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM95 View Post
(also I have no idea about that "Pay Bus Passion" translation, but that's not a K.K. Slider song and I'm rather skeptical about that being an official translation at all)
I have noticed that a bunch of the songs here are also featured on this European Club Nintendo soundtrack, which actually has official translations for quite a bunch of languages. While not all the songs in the JP album are on the EU one and viceversa, the correspondent English names with this album should be:

Quote:
01 - Animal Crossing Theme
08 - All Aboard the Bus!
09 - First Trip to the City
10 - Morning in City Square
11 - Happy Room Academy
12 - Daytime in City Square
13 - Gracie Grace
14 - Night in City Square
15 - The Auction House
16 - The Marquee — Theatre
21 - K.K. Bossa
22 - K.K. Jazz
23 - DJ K.K.
27 - Agent K.K.
29 - K.K. Condor
31 - Go K.K. Rider!
32 - K.K. House
33 - K.K. Sonata
34 - Spring Blossoms
35 - Stale Cupcakes
36 - Wandering
37 - Town Square (K.K. Live Version)
38 - K.K. House (Club Version)
39 - Shrunk's Dream
I guess this pretty much confirms that that "Pay Bus Passion" translation was made up.

-----

Also, it looks like Nintendo Dream vol. 182 had an interview with the sound team, where each composer talked about their specific work on the soundtrack. I haven't seen the issue myself, but it seems that Nookipedia gathered the specific info:

-Kazumi Totaka: composed "First Trip to the City" and "Daytime in City Square" (also, "All Aboard the Bus!" quotes "Heavy Rotation -Hi-Fi Mix-" by Totaka from Wild World).

-Shiho Fujii: quoting from the Wiki page:
"In an interview in Volume 182 of Nintendo DREAM, Fujii explained that she composed "K.K. House", and rearranged the "Club Version" featured as a bonus on Machi e Ikō yo Doubutsu no Mori: Mori no Ongakkai and Animal Crossing: Your Favourite Songs - Original Soundtrack. She also composed other unidentified K.K. Slider songs and helped rearrange Kazumi Totaka's City theme for other times of day."

-Manaka Tominaga: quoting from the Wiki page:
"In an interview in Volume 182 of Nintendo DREAM, Kataoka explained that she composed the themes for the Marquee and other songs from buildings in the City, "K.K. Sonata" and one of the three invalid songs. She also arranged the track "Shrunk's Dream", featured as a bonus on Machi e Ikō yo Doubutsu no Mori: Mori no Ongakkai and Animal Crossing: Your Favourite Songs - Original Soundtrack."
Old Mar 23, 2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM95 View Post
I have noticed that a bunch of the songs here are also featured on this European Club Nintendo soundtrack, which actually has official translations for quite a bunch of languages … I guess this pretty much confirms that that "Pay Bus Passion" translation was made up.

-----

Also, it looks like Nintendo Dream vol. 182 had an interview with the sound team, where each composer talked about their specific work on the soundtrack. I haven't seen the issue myself, but it seems that Nookipedia gathered the specific info.
Hi, I'm the one who added that to Nookipedia. I own the magazine in question. Fujii confirmed she composed K.K. House (32) and its rearrangement (39), and Tominaga confirms she wrote the Marquee music (16) and its rearrangement (39). Totaka says he composed the first arrival in the city tune (09) and the daytime city theme (10) and he arranged the K.K. Slider version on this CD (37) He also says Tominaga and Fujii wrote the new K.K. songs, and there are only two new songs, K.K. Sonata and K.K. House. With Fujii having composed the latter, it means Tominaga composed the former (33). Furthermore, he says Tominaga and Fujii rearranged his city theme for the other times of day, and that he "left the buildings up to them" (which aside from the Marquee we don't know for sure). Totaka also explains a lot about how he wrote Stale Cupcakes (35, Blue Onigiri in Japan).

Animal Crossing: Wild World also had Asuka Hayazaki (credited as her maiden name Asuka Ohta) as Totaka's assistant, meaning she could have possibly worked on 02, 03, 04, 06, and 18. Totaka is confirmed for 01, 05, 07, 17, 19 as well. The reason I credited the bus theme (08) to him is because not only does it quote the two versions of Kapp'n's Song he wrote, but it also features Totaka's Song in-game, which isn't present on the CD.

Some of the current titles like "Pay Bus Passion" are indeed junk and seem to be mistranslations. So here's a breakdown of each track with some better translations, and the composers:

Quote:
01 - Title (Kazumi Totaka)
02 - Attic (Kazumi Totaka/Asuka Ohta)
03 - Pelly's Town Hall (Totaka/Ohta)
04 - Town Gate (Totaka/Ohta)
05 - 9 AM (Totaka)
06 - Nook's Cranny (Toru Minegishi, arr. Totaka/Ohta)
07 - 3 PM (Totaka)
08 - Kapp'n's Bus (Totaka)
09 - First Arrival in the City (Totaka)
10 - City Square (Early Morning) (Totaka, arr. Manaka Tominaga/Shiho Fujii)
11 - Happy Room Academy (Tominaga/Fujii)
12 - City Square (Day) (Totaka)
13 - Gracie Grace (Tominaga/Fujii)
14 - City Square (Evening) (Totaka, arr. Tominaga/Fujii)
15 - Auction House (Tominaga/Fujii)
16 - Marquee Entrance (Tominaga)
17 - 8 PM (Totaka)
18 - Museum (Totaka/Ohta)
19 - The Roost (Totaka)
20 - 2 AM (Totaka)
21 - K.K. Bossa (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
22 - K.K. Jazz (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
23 - DJ K.K. (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
24 - Forest Life (Kenta Nagata, arr. Totaka)
25 - I Love You (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
26 - Marine Song 2001 (Totaka)
27 - Agent K.K. (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
28 - K.K. Ragtime (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
29 - K.K. Condor (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
30 - Two Days Ago (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
31 - Go K.K. Rider! (Minegishi, arr. Totaka)
32 - K.K. House (Fujii)
33 - K.K. Sonata (Tominaga)
34 - Spring Blossoms (Shinobu Tanaka, arr. Totaka)
35 - Stale Cupcakes (Totaka)
36 - Wandering (Totaka)
37 - Town Square -K.K. Live Version- (Totaka)
38 - K.K. House -Club Version- (Fujii)
39 - Shrunk's Dream (Tominaga)
Hope this helps.

Update: on the new New Horizons soundtrack, it was also confirmed Totaka composed "Wandering".

Last edited by Chubby Bub; Jul 12, 2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 04:38 AM

Thanks for all of your findings, Chubby Bub. Perhaps we could update this album's info with all of the information if the staff is OK with it.