VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:32 PM

Cool. I had a feeling Bun Bun was responsible for the jazzy tracks, but I guess he did the wide range of other tracks, too. Would be sweet to get a Final Fight 2 breakdown, or at the very least which track(s) he composed.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:44 AM

yeah i'd love to see Final Fight 2 demystified. and mega man X. and rockman & forte. and breath of fire 3. and mega man network transmission. and [insert capcom game].

i expected it to be Yamaguchi who wrote the jazzier stuff, simply based on the composers' respective mega man scores. so to see that Fujita wrote all my favourites is quite a surprise. certainly has put him way up in my estimations (for what it's worth anyway, i guess he didn't work on that many soundtracks.)

on that note, what ARE peoples favourite songs? for me:
-Profit
-Strong Fortress
-Small Hermitage
-A Road
-Swimming
-Premature Death
-Flying
-God's Footprints

also, i just realised that Yamaguchi, Shimomura and Fuji each handled a town/city theme. can't be a coincidence. and Shimomura's really does sound like her now i'm paying attention to it.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
on that note, what ARE peoples favourite songs? for me:
-Profit
-Strong Fortress
-Small Hermitage
-A Road
-Swimming
-Premature Death
-Flying
-God's Footprints
Of Fujita's, all of those, plus Expedition, Blood Relation, and The Dragon Warrior... actually, I can't find a track of his I don't like besides a few uneventful ones such as Quickening or the Fishing jingles. Although my favorite of his (and the whole soundtrack) is Distant View, the second world map theme.

I like all of Yamaguchi's, and of course the world map 1 theme is a favorite. And it's hard not to be fond of Music City.

I agree about Shimomura's track, it all makes sense now. Though neither hers nor Fujii's are terribly exciting.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:36 PM

Wow, I never realised how much work you'd done in relation to the Breath of Fire I composer credits, Jormungand! Looking at your thread, a lot of the allocations make sense, and it's honestly surprising to see Fujita responsible for most of the tracks. I'm especially surprised at the Shimomura track - like you, I have always thought it was "Song and Dance". I mean, this is one of my favourite SNES scores, and is far and away my favourite Breath of Fire score. A shame most of the Breath of Fire II score is mediocre particularly in relation to the game's plot (save "Memories" <3 and "God of Decadence" :drool: ).

I'm a big fan of:

"Blood Relation" (so beyond its VGM years, it's insane)
"Fate" (truly one of the saddest RPG melodies I've ever heard)
"Starting the Journey ~Breath of Fire~" (when I think "SNES music", this is one of the first tracks that comes to mind)
"Distant View" (best SNES march or best SNES march?)
"A Road" (holy happiness this is a catchy waltz tune)
"Sand Palace" (perfectly cliché)
"Expedition" (one of the most effortlessly heroic melodies)
"Dawn" (majestic like a sunrise reflected in the ocean)

I've played Breath of Fire so many times, and whenever I listen to these tunes I almost feel like I must play through the game again. The sign of a great soundtrack.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:35 PM

-The Dragon Warrior (love the chord modulations, especially the french horn part at 0:22. gets me hot)
-Starting the Journey (catchy, great instrumentation, again chord modulations turn me on)
-Deep Forest (unique, catchy, and full of emotion)
-Profit (jazzy goodness)
-Swimming (fun instrumentation and panning)
-Premature Death
-God's Footprints
-Emergency (this one does remind me a lot of Mari's other SNES tunes listening to it now)
-Beginning of Battle (has that classic Capcom sound)

I've actually never been a big fan of the sample set for this soundtrack, but these compositions themselves more than make up for that.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Aug 27, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Would be sweet to get a Final Fight 2 breakdown, or at the very least which track(s) he composed.
Just for clarifications sake:

Quote:
Thank you for your appreciation!
I'm sorry that I can't recall the tunes for Final Fight 2 anymore
because of the lost of data.

from Yasuaki Fujita
Nuts!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:33 PM

it's more difficult with soundtracks that don't have CD releases, for sure.

edit: you could direct him to the spc set though, as an outside chance...

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Sep 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:01 PM

Doesn't this information slightly change BOFII's composer breakdown? Correct me if I'm wrong but the "BOF theme" Mari coined in 1-06 is used in BOFII isn't it? (4-24?) In fact it's like the one musical connection any of the games share outside "Holy" which failed to make the cut for the BOFII section.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:46 PM

Right, 4-24 would be credited to Yamaguchi as composer and Takehara as arranger.

There's also a slight reference to Fujita's "Black Dragon" (2-21) in Takehara's "Grab the Tail" 1-14. It may seem tenuous, but it's just such a distinct melody I've always wondered if it was intentional. Would be a good question for Ms. Takehara!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:14 PM

Anyone here willing to sell me the first disc and second disc from BoF1?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:57 PM

I admittedly suck at Japanese, but I'm still so intrigued as to how "はんぱがなんだ" can mean "Half Done Is Not Done". Don't see anything about things "being done", I see fragment/incompleteness, a topic marker, and an expression for "What!".

*officially confuuuuuuused*

On a related note, is the Breath of Fire III translation one of the super-old translations we have still hanging around?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I admittedly suck at Japanese, but I'm still so intrigued as to how "はんぱがなんだ" can mean "Half Done Is Not Done". Don't see anything about things "being done", I see fragment/incompleteness, a topic marker, and an expression for "What!".

*officially confuuuuuuused*
Because of being another way of interpreting it. Personally, I see it as translating to "Leaving Something Incomplete?"
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:10 PM

Or, What if it's incomplete?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:31 AM

More like "What is halfway worth? [Nothing!]"

It's a fine translation as far as I can tell. As is often the case, a translation has to bring out something that was implied in the original, because it would actually be more wordy to find an English sentence with the same implications.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Sep 16, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:42 PM

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that point. Okay, well, thanks. I actually still don't get the translation, but that's okay

Currently stuck on 5-11, 漢羅狂烈大武会, which apparently does not contain one single compound according to any Japanese dictionary I've looked at. This soundtrack is just a mess, man v__v
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I totally agree with that point. Okay, well, thanks. I actually still don't get the translation, but that's okay

Currently stuck on 6-11, 漢羅狂烈大武会, which apparently does not contain one single compound according to any Japanese dictionary I've looked at. This soundtrack is just a mess, man v__v
半端 means incomplete or fragmentary. So, 半端は何だ? would be, word-for-word, "What is half done?" Very informal sounding.

This is not semantically correct, though, because it sounds as if someone is asking "What is it specifically that is half done?"

So you could add the extra implications, i.e. "What is half done worth?" This is wrong because it sounds as if someone is asking how much half done, specifically, is worth, when it is a rhetorical question.

That's why you have to work around it by reconstituting the question as a statement. "Half done is Not Done" captures it pretty well, despite not being absolutely literal.

As for 6-11, it's a fighting tournament, which you can see in 大武会, and it was apparently translated as "Contest of Champions" for the American release. (I played the game in Japanese, so can someone back this up?)

If we were to try to translate (I don't see why you would, but oh well), 漢羅狂烈大武会 would be split up as follows 漢羅 (Men's) 狂烈 (Intense) 大武会 ( Great fighting tournament).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:31 PM

Okay, I totally get 半端は何だ now. Although to nitpick, it's が and not は, and there's no question mark But yeah, it's basically "What good is incomplete?" That phrase itself is kind of awkward, but I get it now. Thanks

As for 漢羅狂烈大武会, I'd want to translate it because... well, it's the track title ?__? I don't understand 漢羅 as a compound, I guess there are things even the Japanese dictionaries don't know. 漢 is a man, and 羅 is... silk. Or Rome/Latin language. 漢羅 doesn't show up as a compound anywhere... Tangorin, Wiktionary... Google... so I can't figure it out. But based on your breakdown, I'm not sure "The Insane Warriors" is very good at all, it doesn't even mention the tournament in any way. That's a pretty big thing to leave out of the track title.

Thanks for all your help, it's really interesting
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:42 PM

I think I get the 羅 here: it's because it can be read as "ra". And since "-ra" is one of the possible pluralization suffixes in Japanese, you can guess the rest.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:02 AM

Guys, I gotta say, I just don't really believe Yasuaki Fujita about him composing Distant View and Expedition. I think he's simply mistaken. Distant View sounds too much like Super Ghouls N Ghosts. It HAS to be Mari Yamaguchi. Expedition sounds like her style as well (not as much as Distant View), with parts of it really sounding like Magical Quest. Even though we're getting confirmation from Fujita, I'm still not convinced, particularly with Distant View. Anyway, whatever, who cares about what I have to say.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:39 PM

I'll believe him for now :P

Any way we could get in touch with Mari Yamaguchi? Finding these composers seems so difficult :/
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:34 AM

yeah both of those could Yamaguchi, potentially. it's reasonable to assume that since Yamaguchi did the first overworld theme, maybe she was asked to handle all of the overworld music for the game. all three songs are all in a pretty similar kind of bombastic overture style, too, and all lack the "piano concerto" elements that are prominent in a lot of the Fujita songs. it would be worth asking her for sure, if possible. but yea, good faith in Fujita's word for now...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:06 AM

What's the box actually worth today? Someone's selling the box for 90.000 yen at YJA.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:12 PM

Then that's what it's worth...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Then that's what it's worth...
that's how people get scammed :P
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:41 PM

Scammed and buying VGM... what's the difference again?

Seriously though, if you're asking what it's worth, look at the release price. If you're asking what it's going for, that's different. Don't we all know the one rule about buying VGM? If someone's selling it at a certain price, then you pay that price. Period. There are shittons of albums being sold for over 50,000 yen. Would I tell you they are worth that much? Of course not. But that's what they go for, so that's what you pay.

You can always try to find a better deal, but you should never count on it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:52 PM

Buying & listening to VGM is nothing less of a recipe for disaster xD
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Scammed and buying VGM... what's the difference again?

Seriously though, if you're asking what it's worth, look at the release price. If you're asking what it's going for, that's different. Don't we all know the one rule about buying VGM? If someone's selling it at a certain price, then you pay that price. Period. There are shittons of albums being sold for over 50,000 yen. Would I tell you they are worth that much? Of course not. But that's what they go for, so that's what you pay.

You can always try to find a better deal, but you should never count on it.
Erm.. thanks..?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
Trusted Editor

You're confusing what an album is worth, what an album is listed at, and what an album actually sells for.

Worth is subjective and it's whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The list price of an album (and this album in particular) is not any indication of fair or common market value of the album. It is just some idiot listing it at a ridiculously high price hoping to find someone who values that album enough to buy it. Which is highly unlikely.

Just because someone lists it at 90,000Y does not mean it will actually sell. In all likelihood, it will not sell for that much. Ever.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:21 PM

Considering that single CDs such as those Goemon CDs sell for around that much themselves (not "they are listed at", but "they actually sell at"), I have no doubt in my mind that an 11-CD box set can sell for around the same price. In all likelihood, it absolutely WILL sell for that much if the seller waits for the right lunatic to come around.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Considering that single CDs such as those Goemon CDs sell for around that much themselves (not "they are listed at", but "they actually sell at"), I have no doubt in my mind that an 11-CD box set can sell for around the same price. In all likelihood, it absolutely WILL sell for that much if the seller waits for the right lunatic to come around.
No, they don't, and no, they won't.