VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 31, 2021, 08:01 PM

I recently picked this up from the XSEED Games store. Same disc art and presumably the same disc packaging as what came with the original 2016 Vita release, just with an updated copyright date of 2019 (more on this down below). The same tracklist as the original Marvelous release is printed on the back of the XSEED packaging. However, the XSEED discs are authored quite differently compared to the Marvelous version rendering that tracklist inaccurate.

First of all, both discs begin offset by 10 tracks. Track 101 of the XSEED release is actually track 110 of the Marvelous release, 102 = 111, 103 = 112 and so on, with an odd jump in this offset ordering in the middle of each disc. All content is accounted for except on disc 1: The track "GET TO THE TOP!" is missing and has been replaced with an exact duplicate of "Spirit of "WA"".

Secondly, none of the tracks on the XSEED discs fade out. They all end abruptly at the loop point.

Third, comparing the XSEED tracks against this youtube video (presumably from the 2016 release; track times match), most of the tracks on the XSEED second disc loop twice where they would only loop once and fade on the Marvelous disc. The jingle at the end of the Marvelous disc even plays twice when it shows up on the XSEED disc.

As if things weren't messy enough. Like I said earlier, this package has a 2019 copyright date, but the game missed the 2019 release window entirely. In fact, the North American and European PS4 versions (of which this 2-disc set and separate artbook would have been a part of) were cancelled by early October 2020, shortly before the Steam digital release. This soundtrack is also available as part of a digital deluxe edition on Steam, but I don't know if it has the same major discrepancies (no fades, bad ordering) as this set of discs.

So that's why I made a wholly new entry for this set instead of adding it as a child of the 2016 version. It also wasn't available from the XSEED Store until sometime between Oct. and Dec. 2020, according to the Wayback Machine, so that's why I used just "2020" for the release date instead of the Steam release date of Oct. 21, 2020.

Last edited by Judge Ito; Jan 31, 2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 03:42 PM

Added scans.
Please note, as per the first post, that the tracklist in the images is entirely incorrect.