VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Why collect music for anything other than, well, music?
Because there's actually more to it than just music, or so I see it. Personally, if I was just interested in the music, I would go and rip it straight from the game disc/cartridge, I wouldn't feel the need to pay again for something which, in a way, I already purchased [All this talk about supporting the artists' works, in my humble opinion, we already support their work by buying the products for which the music got written in the first place].
For the reason explained above, when I go as far as buying a soundtrack, I care a lot also about its presentation: covers, booklets, information, CD covers, packaging...
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Oct 23, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:07 AM

Edit: my last post should be enough. If you want the truth, read that.

Last edited by Zethe; Oct 23, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Personally, I'm in this hobby for the music. The music determines what I decide to purchase. Everything else is just icing; not the cake. I realize that maybe other people don't see it that way, but that's a mindset I simply can't comprehend. Why collect music for anything other than, well, music?
Yes!

This is my final post in this thread. I leave you with a quote from one of my VGM collector friends:

Quote:
"It could have just been a white cover with a child's writing 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and I would still get it."
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
"It could have just been a white cover with a child's writing 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and I would still get it."
I actually came across a similar front design, but I remember nobody complained maybe because it didn't look so bad to others. Still, I personally found it incredibly bad, and had to conclude that what I saw was just a temporary image...

http://vgmdb.net/album/16044
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:02 AM

That cover is just...not good in my opinion. Looks like it was put together in five minutes or so. Of course, I'm talking about that Tekken cover. Can't comment on the music to Tekken 6 because I've never played it, however. I've ever only played one Tekken game, and it was rather enjoyable.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I actually came across a similar front design, but I remember nobody complained maybe because it didn't look so bad to others. Still, I personally found it incredibly bad, and had to conclude that what I saw was just a temporary image...

http://vgmdb.net/album/16044
Wow, I had completely forgotten about that soundtrack. Granted, I personally like the cover given I enjoy simplicity, but at the same time because of that I know others would not like it as much. We're all a world apart.

Good find, Cedille.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:42 AM

Think yourselves lucky you didn't pay for the soundtrack and had it shipped to the wrong adress, lost forever.
Looks like I'm going to have to buy it twice. Personally I found the artwork a little poor but to be honest it's all about the music and they could put it in bin bag and I'd still buy it.
Why? Cos the music from sonic the hedgehog 1&2 is awesome.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:44 AM

Yea I was wondering what happened with that. You really should complain to them ("I will not buy from you all again if...") and make them reimburse you.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:25 AM

I'll just add that while the cover is certainly not the flashiest thing I've ever seen that for $30 we're getting 2 games worth of music and an entire demo reel of the original compositions. Who gives a flying rat turd about the cover?!

If this set was $50+ I'd complain. But $30-40 seems almost like a bargain to me and when you go to Wal-Mart and buy a bargain bin DVD the cover art is usually pretty bland. Not paying for the artwork here by a long shot.

So I see Zethe's point of view although I think it's a very minor complaint given the real meat of the set for what the asking price is.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:41 PM

At current exchange rates, it's actually just over $40.

And of course, one has to care about all of it. I'm not going to buy it, but had it been just the games I would have.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:42 PM

Got my copy yesterday. Nobody can say that the box isn't stylish. I like the simple design and how they've done it. It's not your usual 3-CD Box.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:12 PM

I was actually really pleased with the content. I guess if you don't care for the packaging, it's anyone's call. But I think it should be known that the content in these CD's is well worth the money. Personally, I think the packaging is pretty great and it's a privilege to have this in my own home.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:42 PM

I'll also add that having all the content in the booklet in Japanese AND English is a huge plus! Hopefully the Sonic CD 20th booklet will get the same treatment.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:47 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
I'll also add that having all the content in the booklet in Japanese AND English is a huge plus!
If every album would do this, world would be a better place.