VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So I unlinked the artists that waxingandwaning submitted 5 years ago. I'm not sure what those were about, or why the artist fields still said "various".

I am not sure what to do with the new edits, since I never clearly understood composer/arranger roles in Bemani albums. At the very least, we need track credits, and probably a source (since it's not 100% clear in the booklet.)
Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:29 PM

Well, DDR albums are a little different from other Bemani albums in that a large number of the songs are licenses (generally covers). Here is the best source I know of for the credits:

http://www.emimusic.jp/dancemania/da.../tocp64024.htm
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:31 PM

Those are the same credits in the booklet scans on the site.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:28 AM

I'm confused with what to put for licenced music. For example; Do we put the artist such as "SMILE.dk" under composer or performed?

Because "Robert Uhmann / Robin Rex" appears right under its track credits.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Here's an example - song "Kung Fu Fighting", [from '70s] (disc 1 tr. 5) was originally sung by Carl Douglas, he also wrote lyrics but the composition is by Biddu.

So the site may list those other people in brackets as arrangers/remixers or if it's some new song (and not from forty years ago like this example) they may also be US style 'writers' - responsible for music and lyrics.

So back to my example Bus Stop is the band that is performing the cover version; now, I'm not familiar with it but they could be listing Douglas as the original artist (or maybe this cover version also has his vocals featured?) and the other people are remixers/arrangers. I find it lacking Biddu isn't listed as the original composer.

tl;dr it is a shitty situation if you want to fill composers/arrangers/lyricist fields, I would leave it blank to spare me the trouble xD because the info is unclear at times. The only artists you could list with certainty are the performers (of these cover songs).

.......and there you have a mistake right away - Bus Stop currently in composers field - they are only performers of their cover of Kung Fu Fighting... Probably more mistakes with other tracks too.

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 22, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:17 PM

Efendija you confused me even more. In summary, should we leave the covers as composers and consider these albums exceptions to the rules?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

I was just saying that it would be troublesome to get the right and complete info for cover songs and suggested there are mistakes (e.g. Bus Stop in composers field when the band doesn't have that role, it should be in the performers field, and possibly there are similar mistakes for other cover songs too).

...so, assuming these are also covers, let's get another example portion: tr. 4-7
Performers (NOT composers): THE OLIVIA PROJECT, BUS STOP, KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND, SMILE.dk
and that's the only certain thing...
The people in brackets could be simply as I said already US style 'writers' - wrote lyrics, music or arrangement but no clear separation is made, that's normal in the west. So you don't know who is exactly composer, who is lyricist etc. and maybe some info is missing too. ... that's why you can just fill out the performers field and don't put anyone in the composers/lyricist field for these covers. I'm not talking about original songs, that's different.

edit: sorry, somehow it escaped me you've made these changes, didn't mean to criticize, it's just that the deal with (western) cover songs can be quite complicated.

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 22, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:16 PM

Someone please link these just placed credits in the notes
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:47 AM

TOCP-64402/3 is its reprint + 6 bonus tracks on cd1, I guess?
no idea where those bonus tracks come from
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:07 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
TOCP-64402/3 is its reprint + 6 bonus tracks on cd1, I guess?
no idea where those bonus tracks come from
Yes there are 6 bonus track on that version, they are remixes from the OST:
39 N.M.R. - Keep On Movin' (Y&Co. DJ Boss Remix) [arranger: DJ Boss]
40 Uzi-Lay - Put Your Faith In Me (DA's Twinkly Disco Remix) [arranger: Dirty Androids]
41 De-Sire - Trip Machine (xac nanoglide Mix) [arranger: xac]
42 Naoki - Brilliant 2 U (AKBK Mix) [arranger: DJ Command]
43 180 - Paranoia (kskst Mix) [arranger: kors k]
44 NM - Love Is The Power ~Re:Born~ [arranger: Naoki Maeda as NM]

Disc 2 is the same.

Last edited by Myrkul; Mar 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:20 AM

PolarManne I appreciate your help in editing these albums but you can justify your reason for removing the quotes on Tetsuya or Akira?

Also why simplify the Album name to one variant?