VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:03 AM

Ah, more Yasuharu Takanashi great-ness.
I've been waiting for Vol. 2 to come out for quite sometime... and here it finally is.
There's not that many action songs in this volume, but this is still a great album to listen to nonetheless.
Gotta love Takanashi's style of music in Fairy Tail. It's very unique. Well, that's all I gotta say, see ya.

~ Red Blazer
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:59 PM

I've changed the English title of track 1. 鉄, kurogane, is iron, and 竜, ryou, is dragon. Though if someone has a good reason for the title to be simply "Kurogane", let me know (but we usually don't use the extra kana titles if they correspond with the kanji anyway, right?).
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:05 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't get this english translation anyway. How can 獅子の星霊 become Leo?!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:55 PM

(by the way, it's ryuu)

it's kurogane because it's the way to read tetsuryuu, why do you think kurogane is written just besides? it's not by fantasy ;p)

leo is the celestial spirit of the lion, need more explanations? (if you didn't watch the anime, you can probably not understand)

jaa
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Though if someone has a good reason for the title to be simply "Kurogane", let me know (but we usually don't use the extra kana titles if they correspond with the kanji anyway, right?).
Sometimes the hira/kana titles in tildes are the "intended" readings which will override the original kanji.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:23 AM

it's called furigana (i forgot to say it in my previous post, sorry ^^; )

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furigana
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I don't get this english translation anyway. How can 獅子の星霊 become Leo?!
To explain in depth, 獅子 is shishi, which means lion. 星 is hoshi, which is basically a star. 霊, rei, is typically spirit (or soul). So basically, we have "Star spirit of the lion". This could refer to a constellation ("star spirit"), which would be Leo if we're talking about the lion. And also, if you've seen the anime Fairy Tail, Lucy summons celestial beings using keys. For example, she summon Aquarius in the first episode. So Leo is probably a good translation and accurate to the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Sometimes the hira/kana titles in tildes are the "intended" readings which will override the original kanji.
I see, so sometimes it's preferred to actually pronounce the word, not just translate it. But since this is a more detailed title, I think it would be better to go with the full thing, rather than one word. If you have a better way to write this though, then just replace what I changed it to of course.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 03:44 AM

man, Kurogane is his nickname
別名「鉄竜(くろがね)のガジル」。

it's like you translate Salamander (from ost 1) into Fire Dragon

("Fire Dragon" from Natsu's Magic tracks could be "Salamander")
別名「火竜(サラマンダー)のナツ」。

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAIRY_T...BA%BA%E7%89%A9
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:23 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Why not simply 'Iron Dragon ~Kuragane~' or such? Even if an alternate pronunciation is given, the kanji meaning doesn't just vanish to Japanese readers.

As for Leo, how about 'Leo of the Celestial Spirits', or 'Celestial Spirit of the Lion'? (獅子=Lion, 獅子宮=Leo (constellation), レオ=Leo (character))
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
To explain in depth, 獅子 is shishi, which means lion. 星 is hoshi, which is basically a star. 霊, rei, is typically spirit (or soul). So basically, we have "Star spirit of the lion". This could refer to a constellation ("star spirit"), which would be Leo if we're talking about the lion. And also, if you've seen the anime Fairy Tail, Lucy summons celestial beings using keys. For example, she summon Aquarius in the first episode. So Leo is probably a good translation and accurate to the anime.
I see. However I would still prefer to have some direct connection to the 'astrological context' in the title. Just my opinion though
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:55 AM

I for one think it doesn't make sense to include both the kanji and its reading (aka furigana) outside of Japanese, because the reading exists simply to tell us how to read the Kanji which otherwise may or may not be pronounced as intended. So it doesn't serve any purpose in English, or sounds rather redundant. I think this is how we should generally handle "ateji" names, too. (however, as I know we have some precedents like this where we include both in an English/Romaji translation, our majority consensus might be different than mine).

For this reason, I'd leave "Kurogane" alone in the Romaji tracklist. I think either "Iron Dragon" or "Kurogane" is fine in the English tracklist, but maybe "Kurogane" should be just treated as a proper name.

Last edited by Cedille; Aug 1, 2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 05:19 PM

I don't remember having ever read (subs) "iron dragon" in the anime
Gajeel is always referred as Kurogane as far as I know
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
I see. However I would still prefer to have some direct connection to the 'astrological context' in the title. Just my opinion though
I guess it's just the difference between contextual translations and literal translations. Personally, I think that if they really wanted to say "Leo", they could have just written it in kana (as it would probably be done elsewhere). Or perhaps his name has kanji. But since it was a sensible translation I just left it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it's called furigana (i forgot to say it in my previous post, sorry ^^; )

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furigana
I really don't think this is furigana. Furigana is usually listed either in vertical or horizontal style next to a kanji to indicate its intended pronunciation. But it has nothing to do with overriding the use of another set of characters. Look at the use of furigana in a song title like this. You will see that the kanji 地方 and 旅立 in track 1 are accompanied by kana characters that are there to help with the pronunciation, but we don't add them to the title. In this case, くろがね wasn't listed as an aid to pronounce other kanji. It was listed right alongside the title, in between hyphens, as you very frequently see parts of titles in soundtracks. You can see this in the scans, like the back. There are plenty of instances where characters right beside a song's title in between hyphens or wavedashes do not override the rest of the title, because they shouldn't. This usage of a more phonetic character set is maybe why adding it to the title as it sounds, like Dag suggested, is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it's like you translate Salamander (from ost 1) into Fire Dragon
No it's not. Not at all. These are two absolutely different circumstances. What you're talking about is a title whose characters read サラマンダー, which is literally the kana for Salamander. That is the absolute intended translation and it can't be anything else. But in this case, we actually have 鉄竜, which is literally Iron Dragon. So no, it's not as if we would translate Salamander into Fire Dragon, because that would just be wrong (whereas using the characters that are clearly there for Iron Dragon is not wrong at all... they're there). Sure, if they had kanji for Salamander that could be interpreted as "fire dragon", then your comparison would work, but it doesn't here.

Last edited by Medina; Aug 4, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Remember, we're talking about character names here. Sometimes they should not be literally translated.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:02 AM

That's okay, if you have a good reason to keep the title as "Kurogane", then do so. I just think that ignoring that characters for Iron Dragon seems a little weird. I'm not suggesting that we don't put Kurogane in the title, and it was probably wrong of me to remove it (I too saw it as some sort of supplement to the kanji, because it was just a hasty retranslation on my part), I just think the best thing to do would be to add both. I haven't made it that far into the anime, but it Kurogane is some sort of an iron dragon, then I think that part of the title is meaningful, even to his name. Definitely, we should not just call him "iron", because that's what kurogane is, but that's lame. But yeah... I just think it's weird to totally ignore a description of him.

Anyway, I was almost definitely wrong to remove "Kurogane" in the first place, and I think we should add it back.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
I really don't think this is furigana. Furigana is usually listed either in vertical or horizontal style next to a kanji to indicate its intended pronunciation. But it has nothing to do with overriding the use of another set of characters. Look at the use of furigana in a song title like this. You will see that the kanji 地方 and 旅立 in track 1 are accompanied by kana characters that are there to help with the pronunciation, but we don't add them to the title. In this case, くろがね wasn't listed as an aid to pronounce other kanji. It was listed right alongside the title, in between hyphens, as you very frequently see parts of titles in soundtracks. You can see this in the scans, like the back.
There are multiple ways to add Furigana nowadays. One is to add it above the kanji in a smaller font, but another major way is to put it into round brackets or such and using hyphens or dashes instead is not particularly uncommon. So I think we should determine each case based on whether the letters serves as Furigana or not, rather than how they are written. For me くろがね looks like Furigana which is placed as an aid to read 鉄竜 as officially intended.

As for the English/Romaji translation, well, I don't know. My preference is not to add both, but I see why the opposite is also supported.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

My take is that when you read in JP "01 鉄竜 ~くろがね~", you understand the track means "iron dragon" but with a special "kurogane" pronunciation (refering to a character's nickname). If you just read "kurogane" (or just "iron") the original meaning is kind of lost.

The point of these 'false furigana' is to have double meanings, isn't it? I'd try to keep them if possible. They could have used "01 くろがね" anyway. Hence "Iron Dragon ~Kurogane~" (if you don't translate the nickname, I don't really see it as romaji) or "Iron Dragon ~Iron~" etc.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:00 PM

from http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAIRY_T...BA%BA%E7%89%A9

別名「鉄竜(くろがね)のガジル」。

(online shops and other sites put furigana like this when they can't put characters above, you know)

Last edited by Phonograph; Aug 6, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:27 PM

This is old, but I'm on a Fairy Tail kick right now.

So there was some discussion about Iron Dragons, furiganas, and other crazy things in this thread. That's cool. As somebody who doesn't know absolutely nothing about Fairy Tail, let me say this: Gajeel's name isn't Tetsuryuu... it's Gajeel. Gajeel Redfox, to be exact. And his nickname is 黒鉄, which is Kurogane. It's actually not even 鉄. I don't know what the soundtrack is getting at here. But the name of this song is with 99% certainty describing him, not simply naming him. I somehow doubt that くろがね is much of a "reading" for 鉄竜, in which only the first character can possibly be "kurogane", and then the second character... what... disappears, just because -くろがね- comes after it? I don't think everything else is overridden because there is a "reading" after it.

Some more Fairy Tail info coming up! Each dragon slayer has dragon slayer type magic. Example: Natsu gets 火の滅竜魔法. Take 火の滅竜 and what do you get? Well, 鉄の滅竜魔法 is also a dragon slayer type magic, and I hope you recognize the first character Here's some more info. Knock yourselves out. I added -Kurogane- to the track name.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 02:44 AM

oh, I totally forgot to add jasrac info about it (better late than never ;p)

鉄竜-くろがね-
クロガネ
KUROGANE