VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Aug 10, 2014, 03:55 AM

I am not sure how name this one because BGM are part of Blu-ray disc. Please correct album title, if needed

Here is info from official site in Japanese:
ブレイクブレイドのBGMをBlu-rayに収録したサウンドトラックアルバム(49曲)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Is the soundtrack on a bonus BD?

Because if it isn't and it's on the same disc as the series itself, I'm not sure this should be allowed since we don't allow red book audio, and this is kinda the same.

Going by the (really tiny) content picture it looks like there are 5 episodes in the first 2 discs and 2 in the third one, but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:10 AM

probably similar to http://vgmdb.net/album/32270
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
probably similar to http://vgmdb.net/album/32270
That disc contained episodes 23 through 26 so it's the same.

So I guess these are allowed? I don't mind, but if we require game music to be on a different media than the main product itself then I think we should do the same with anime.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

We reject every red book because it's not eligible for this db to keep track of OSTs that are located on the very game disc. But if it's (just) part of a bonus disc, it was told that's fine (this). At least it's not on a game disc.

Then again, how can these anime examples be eligible, double standards?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Do we have any idea about the scope of this practice? I take it that this soundtrack was released as a bonus item on the Blu-ray disc. That may be a subtle difference between this soundtrack and redbook audio, which is part of the game's resources. Still, it's a contentious area, but we should ponder it a bit.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:08 AM

I agree with Efendija example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
(this).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I take it that this soundtrack was released as a bonus item on the Blu-ray disc. That may be a subtle difference between this soundtrack and redbook audio, which is part of the game's resources.
There's a huge difference in just how many games (as the primary interest of this db, right?) have red book and never got a normal CD OST release. But you could put the game CD in your normal CD player and enjoy the music. That's a difference too. Game resource or not, it was made (and sometimes advertised) so you can listen to it the usual way.

Plus Broken Blade anime already got enclosed soundtrack CD releases with blurays back in 2010/11.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:58 AM

It's probably not something that's going to lead to a dump truck's worth of new album entries and I think it's useful to the user who might otherwise never learn about the existence of these soundtracks.

I don't think it's quite the same as CD audio in a game either. I get the line of reasoning that that's the equivalent of a game rip, it just happens to be in a format that you can easily play with the same stuff you do other albums. In this case, it isn't the same audio track that plays during the anime as is the case for the games with CD audio, this is a separate soundtrack. Everybody expects a game to have music, and if you know about pre-PlayStation CD console games you'd know most of them to have CDDA music. Everybody expects a DVD or Blu-ray to have background music within the content, but it's pretty unusual for a standalone soundtrack to be on the disc as a feature. And if the feature is advertised (as it is on CDJapan, whose description likely comes from the publisher, for this box set), meaning the company intends for the larger product to also function as a soundtrack release for the potential customers who may desire that, it's all the more reason to consider it a soundtrack suitable for VGMdb.

My two cents.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ Yup, that's fair, but what about the game CDs that were also advertised regarding their red book soundtrack, if we're going to make that distinction? It can just happen they would have their place too based on that.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If the reasoning for not adding red book audio is that they are (all?) used as resources in the game, then that obviously have nothing to do with these entries.

I don't think there are many more examples of this kind of stuff, anyway. The soundtrack for the second season of Haruhi comes to mind, but that was in the bonus dvds and not in the main ones.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

I can fully agree, if just the resources were the only reason for red book, these anime discs were never the problem.

Although why is it then a "contentious area"?

Excluding the anime which I guess are solved now, can there be a reason to keep advertised red book audio, SS, on a case-by-case basis obviously? Most recently this one was rejected and it had a tracklist & all:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13730

The potential importance of advertisement is mentioned here too:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13818

but until now, red book was a no go no matter if it had an advertisment or not (and still is).

So is it possible to add the select few advertised ones or not?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:48 PM

Heh, I was writing my post when you made yours and I see we both made a distinction based on the advertising and game resource things. Great minds!

I've also encountered at least one PC Engine game that has a tracklist printed on the back of both the case and booklet and at the time thought how that should probably be cataloged on VGMdb as well. I'd like to see it happen for the games that really seem to indicate that you should consider the disc to also be a soundtrack CD.