VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Brief reminder on the artist linking system

To all staff members who are using the artist system: note that adding artist assignments to an album will override the usual artist name display in the album information panel, so make sure you assign every artist that is listed (even if you don't link any of them later). It goes without saying that you should check and double-check for accuracy and completion of each artist field before processing it. I've come across some albums where artist credits were omitted from display because they were not properly assigned.

Also, please do not set any artists as an "alias" type (third option) for now, as it has a very specific purpose. There'll be more details once I finish tweaking the system.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:58 AM

your new artist browsing system is perfect i really liked it.but there is something wrong written there."Neo Geo Music Performance Group" (or Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan) didn't make "King of Fighters 2001 OST" album.It was another person held by Korean game maker Eolith.KoF 2001 OST is the worst album of Neo Geo gaming history it totally sucked,please fix that problem
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I can't fix the KoF 2001 OST sucking, but I can certainly fix the artist info =o
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I can't find any composer information on the web (so far), aside from this:

http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/game_inf...id_ele=Mzk2MTU

Does anyone have any more information, or maybe someone owns a copy and can check the liner notes for any composer credits.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Official credits for the game are Masahiko Hataya and Kidon. Checked with some japanese sites to confirm.

One source: http://www.critical.ne.jp/~kaze/gm/gm_scitron.html
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Now that's a site that'll come in handy. There's a lot of older stuff on there.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I won't be around for the rest of this week, by the way. No internet access where I'm going.

See you all near the end of the month!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:43 AM

i told ya,Neo Geo Music Performance Group can't make a shit like that
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Should artists on reprints be assigned and/or linked?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Nevermind. It looks like the parent album handles all of the artist management for the reprint. Cool.

Hey, what's the official policy on assigning and linking? Should we assign everything we can, but only link artists that we know have multiple credits?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's right. Just check over the fields before assigning, since any edits to the album artist fields afterwards will require a bit more trouble to reconcile.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:25 PM

Is the staff going back through the albums and linking artist works? because if so it would be pointless to even mention such when coming across one not linked.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm just assigning artists on any album I come across, and linking any that have more than one album to their name.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, we're gradually linking up the old albums. I generally refrain from assigning or linking any albums that I'm not 100% sure of the artists, though.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I have a question. What is the policy on albums that have slightly different spellings for an artist? How should we determine which is the "official" spelling? Also, do we want to keep the album-specific spellings in the album's artists fields?

Two people I'm currently having issues with are Tohru Iwao (Toh-ru Iwao) and Koichi SEIYAMA (Koh-ichi Seiyama) from the Guilty Gear albums.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Official romanizations can be inconsistent, and even official releases misprint artist names sometimes, so you'll have to use your judgment on whether to correct them or set it as a text alias. If the difference is minute, you could always mention it in the notes area.

Generally, we want to stick to the most current spelling as found on the artist's official webpage, agency, etc (even if it's non-standard, like June Chikuma instead of Jun Chikuma). Failing that any romanization found on the latest album release can be considered as official.

For the meantime, you can stick to the spellings as they are in the artist database.

Edit: http://www.hotrodcrue.com/biography.html gives Koichi Seiyama, and so does the scan from the Guilty Gear Complete Box, so let's go with that.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Thanks. I'll do exactly that.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe I missed the memo on this, being I haven't used the artist linking system before...

Dilema: After assigning the artists to a new album WM-0599, then attempting to link one composer (156) Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, that just doubled up his entry where one instance of his name unlinked and the other instance was linked...

Maybe a little procedural assistance on the proper usage of this function would help me out.

How is the "assign to this album" function different from a prescan of the existing artists to check for matches which are then presented to the user upon the page refresh? When it does find an existing match, the "link artist" is still a separate action taken afterwards, rather than autolinking itself in 1 step rather than 2 steps?

And what is the FEAT checkbox for? (fortunately the Apply checkbox is self explanatory)

Last edited by Carl; Aug 22, 2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

When you fill out the artist fields on an album, they are merely text strings. Assinging the artists parses those text strings, separating them by commas, and creates a list of artist names. Once this is done, the album's artist editing page shows a list of the artist names, and the roles they are credited for. The next step is to link those to artist pages. The artist names are automatically compared against the full list of artists to make a guess at the best match. When you link them, those will be linked. There will be artists that have no matches in the database, and those will remain unlinked.

I'm not sure what you did to get the first composer doubled up, but I deleted the extra link.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The wording of the "update unlink artists" button might be better named "proceed and link artists" or something....

The presence of the word UNlink on the button when you're trying to DO a link is a bit awkward.

And what is the FEAT checkbox for?

Last edited by Carl; Aug 22, 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The Feat checkbox is for the composers that have their works featured on Doujins, but didn't actually have any involvement in the creation of the album. It was mostly added so that doujin arranges of a composer's work could be filtered out and displayed in a section below the main discography.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks for the infos
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The wording of the "update unlink artists" button might be better named "proceed and link artists" or something....

The presence of the word UNlink on the button when you're trying to DO a link is a bit awkward.
It's worded that way ("Update Unlinked Artists") since there's other operations you can do (rename alias, change role) without linking them up to an artist ID.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, I see what you mean about other actions being performed.

Obviously since you guys designed it you're very familiar with the way it works, but when somebody who doesn't know the architecture behind the system is trying out an action it's all new, hence the occasional confused question from me. =)
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The linking process is a bit more complicated and technical compared to some of the other data entry, so it's going to remain restricted to staff and trusted editors.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The Feat checkbox is for the composers that have their works featured on Doujins, but didn't actually have any involvement in the creation of the album. It was mostly added so that doujin arranges of a composer's work could be filtered out and displayed in a section below the main discography.
It is my believe that the featured checkbox be used for any album the artist didn't directly work on, including official albums. Filtering out doujins can easily be done regardless of the featured flag.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We've discussed that a bit previously and the conclusion was to limit the featured checkbox to filtering out doujins unless we can work out precisely what "directly" worked on means.

Take for example, a vocal song:
Release on theme song single -> official soundtrack (short version) -> vocal album (different vocalist) -> official arrange album -> "best of compilation" -> official soundtrack of sequel (instrumental) -> doujin arrange -> doujin remix -> remastered original soundtrack 2 decades later

Technically the song composer's direct involvement would stop right after the release of the theme song single, no? Yet no discography would put at least the next 2 albums under a "featured on" section.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I understand that it's a complication situation. But then with compilation albums like this, I'm sure that at least some official albums will merit the "featured" flag for artists.

There will be no sure way to know if a certain artist had direct involvement with an album in many cases, but we can make pretty rational assumptions based on the credits listed in an album, liner notes, and also whether or not there is new content based on that artist's role.

My thoughts on your examples:

Release on theme song single
- assuming this is the first version of the track, not "featured"

official soundtrack (short version)
- different version, but exact same artists listed, not "featured"

vocal album (different vocalist)
- is the composition the same or different? if the same, we might have the composer as featured, but assuming no arranger or new producer is listed, we could leave open the possibility that the original composer was involved (and if there are liner notes from the composer, that's a dead giveaway)

official arrange album
- if there is no new material from the composer, and there is no mention of him/her being involved in the liner notes, we could say they were featured, but this is subjective

best of compilation
- for a single artist, not featured; because otherwise, that would mean there is no non-featured artists assigned to the album, and that's generally not something that should happen -- a multi-artist compilation is a different story though

official soundtrack of sequel (instrumental)
- not sure what you mean

doujin arrange
- featured on

doujin remix
- featured on

remastered original soundtrack 2 decades later
- yes, this is a tricky one; assuming all of the artists are the same, I suppose this can be listed under discography, since these are kind of like alternate versions of the composers' original works, rather than derived works

Maybe we can use a rule of thumb where if, as in your cases, a "possibly featured" work is released specifically and officially for the same product as a new work by an artist, it can be included in that artist's main discography.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Aug 24, 2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:12 AM

I'm really confused about artist and album linking.

It seems automatic, but i couldn't see the artist name appearing as link on an album page to the newly created artist page when i did one (iirc, i had to ask someone about it for it to happen).

Then here in this discussion is a reference to a "Update Unlinked Artists" button, but i don't see any button of this kind when i edit an album.
Is that due to some edit-rights i don't got?

Thanks in advance, it's really confusing.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:02 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We don't have a moderation queue for artist linking yet, so at present it's limited to trusted editors and staff.