VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:40 PM

Does anyone know if the first print came with the whole package sealed or just the album sealed and put in the unsealed/unprotected cardboard? It's bugging me.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'd be surprised if the slipcase didn't come sealed. I can't remember ever seeing a vgm album with a slipcase where the album wasn't unsealed and the slipcase sealed. I mean it's only logical as the slip would almost certainly be damaged otherwise.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:33 AM

I see. Well then I have a second print, since the album is sealed but never had a slipcase. Never seen a sealed slipcase till now though...?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:14 PM

Holy freaking cow. I already own this CD and bought it secondhand on eBay and yesterday I saw a listing for a BRAND NEW, SHRINKWRAPPED CD... For $30. F-YES!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Man I love eBay sometimes. Anyway, thought I'd brag a bit.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
Holy freaking cow. I already own this CD and bought it secondhand on eBay and yesterday I saw a listing for a BRAND NEW, SHRINKWRAPPED CD... For $30. F-YES!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Man I love eBay sometimes. Anyway, thought I'd brag a bit.
Looks like that seller has sold a stock of those over the years. Is it the genuine one from King Records? I know they made a bootleg of this one. It's amazing to think what might be factory sealed and still out there...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:16 AM

The slipcase did come sealed. I have a copy with the original shrinkwrap still on it. I'll scan it and post it later.
Old May 17, 2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Track 4: from Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition
Track 5: from Gradius 2
This is probably a newb question, but when looking at the source of each track, I'm assuming "Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition" and "Gradius 2" are different entities with separate soundtracks...? I'm not very versed in the history of many SHUMPS, can someone shine a little light on this?
Old May 18, 2019, 12:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So in general, there are two different Gradius IIs: Gradius 2 for the MSX, which is specifically a sequel to MSX Gradius 1, and Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou, which is the arcade mainline Gradius game that most of us probably think of. They have different storylines and soundtracks. I seem to recall that Konami is pretty consistent about differentiating between 2 and II, but I haven't been around this area in a while so I may be misremembering.

However, none of that matters here because our notes were in error; all of the songs here are from Gradius II (arcade), and the album does in fact say this. It's just that, for some reason, track 4 is noted as being from "Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou" with subtitle and track 5 is noted as being from "Gradius II" without subtitle. This doesn't appear to be a significant difference (there is technically a "Gradius II" without subtitle for NES, but it doesn't have Maximum Speed in its soundtrack, so I doubt it's referring to that).
Old May 18, 2019, 07:01 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info; didn't think that would lead to any kind of fix.

However, I'm still confused about something. For some reason, until I recently bought a copy of this, I didn't realize this album was a compilation. No clue how that was lost on me. Until I started looking I had no clue the Perfect Selection series was as expansive as it was. I had no clue there was one for Gradius, Snatcher, etc.

From tracklistings I can see some of these tracks are on the main albums, but not every game covered on here has it's own Perfect Selection. Are some of these tracks unique to this release specifically, or or games like A-Jax, etc just part of (or extensions) of other franchises?
Old May 18, 2019, 08:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There aren't any rereleased tracks here, all the arrangements are original to this album. The same is true of all of the Perfect Selection Battle albums by the Naoto Shibata Project, with the exception of the best tracks compilation album.
Old May 18, 2019, 08:17 PM

Oh, I guess I read into that too deeply. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

That said, the tracklist on the Best Of disc isn't bad at all IMO.