VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 4, 2010, 08:23 AM

Default Mega Man Network Transmission: composer breakdown?

I listened to this excellent soundtrack back in June, and made guesses on who composed what when I first heard it. As we know, SuperSweep composers Ayako Saso, Yousuke Yasui and Shinji Hosoe collaboratively worked on the score. Currently only one of these songs has been attributed to any of the composers by another source (thanks to kyubihanyou), so the rest of my guesses here are based purely on my intuition of their compositional styles (so are probably wrong, but it's the best I have for now ^^; )

Here's the tracklist I have.

01 Theme of MEGAMAN NETWORK TRANSMISSION *
02 Relaxation *
03 In the Room **
04 Internet Area: Basic Stage ***
05 Blazing Internet: Fire Man Stage **
06 Garden System: Needle Man Stage *
07 Electric City: Bright Man Stage **
08 Water Service Bureau: Ice Man Stage *
09 Bank System: Quick Man Stage ***
10 Game Center: Color Man Stage **
11 Power Plant: Elec Man Stage **
12 Suspicious Events *
13 Old Generation Area: Sword Man Stage ***
14 Abnormal Gravity Area: Gravity Man Stage **
15 Zero Gravity Area: Star Man Stage ***
16 Navi Battle *
17 Victory! **
18 Stage Clear / Eye-catch **
19 Zero Account - Zero Stage ***
20 VS. Zero [confirmed as Yousuke Yasui]
21 Threat Arises **
22 Legendary WWW Area: Pharoah Man Stage *
23 Demolished WWW Area: Shadow Man Stage **
24 The Undernet - Final Stage ***
25 Firewall Battle ***
26 Hero Theme *
27 VS. Life Virus R ***
28 Epilogue - Zero reforms **
29 Ending Theme **
30 Game Over *
31 Unknown ***

* = Yasui
** = Saso
*** = Hosoe

any thoughts or input would be great. Would love to see a real breakdown from an authoritive source

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Jan 22, 2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:20 PM

What a coincidence: I just wrote something relating to this in my reply to your other comment.

-On his MySpace page, Yousuke Yasui is specifically credited for this game as "Compose & Arrange" and "Arrange or Remix." Furthermore, the music he chose [via Youtube video] to represent his work on Transmission was VS. Zero, so that's a confirmation right there. I'd say that's the supposed "Remix," and I'd have to say that the "Compose & Arrange" was Garden System and/or Old Generation Area's stage themes.
[NOTE: I originally thought those three were Saso's and Yasui only did Threat Arises and Suspicious Events; all the others linked together by some part or another, then went to Shinji. That theory's blown.]

[Bold = Confirmed ; Italics = Implied]

Group 1: "Drums" - In the Room, Internet Densen Area, Water Service Bureau, Game Center, Demolished WWW Area, Legendary WWW Area, Undernet, Hero, VS Life Virus R
Group 2: "Downward hum" - Electric City, Zero Account, Epilogue
Group 3: "Main Theme Power" - Theme of Megaman Network Transmission, Stage Clear, Eyecatch, Game Over
Group 4: "Dark tone & piano" - Suspicious Event, Threat Arises
Group 5: "Background piano": Electric City, Game Center, Zero Gravity Area, Game Over
Group 6: "Sound too similar 1 [similar melody]" - Firewall Battle, Staff Roll
Group 7: "Guitar" - Blazing Internet, Power Plant, Abnormal Gravity Area, Navi Battle, Firewall Battle
Group 8: "Very High-pitched synthesizer": Garden System, Power Plant, Old Generation Area, VS. Zero
Group 9: Stretched synthesizer note [low] - Bank System, Zero Account, Unknown
Group 10: "Twinkling" - Relaxation, Bank System, Zero Gravity Area, Epilogue, Game Over
Group 11: "Jazzy" - Relaxation, Blazing Internet, Power Plant, Navi Battle
Group 12: "Slot machine" - Electric City, Legendary WWW Area, Hero, Epilogue
Group 13: "Sound similar 2 [similar part]" - Internet Densen Area, Electric City
Group 14: "Stretch synthesizer note [high]" - Relaxation, Epilogue
Group 15: "Sound similar 3 [similar sound]" - Theme of MegaMan Network Transmission, Blazing Internet

-Kaze wo Tsukinukete was originally composed by Yo Tsuji and arranged by Akio Kondou, so you can drop it from the list. Besides, Arika's two implementations of it made the original look like ____ in comparison; I don't see how it wasn't also used for "Theme of Megaman Network Transmission", as the other games link the title, credits, hero, and depression themes.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Nov 5, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 05:09 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Nice posts. KeyLogic read that Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso and Yosuke Yasui were involoved with the music, but it's good to have a track-by-track breakdown of the composers/arrangers.

This is one of KeyLogic's favorite pieces of VGM ever. It's too bad that there was no official soundtrack release like the other Rockman games, though. KeyLogic raved about this music in his thread too.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:43 AM

I'll ask Yasui-san if he can help us =P
edit: I asked, though he cannot clarify easily without breaking an NDA. soooo..... roadblock

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Jan 22, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:18 AM

Boooo =( That's unfortunate. I've played through this completely, but don't recall much of the OST. Time to find and re-acquaint myself! 8)
Old Mar 1, 2011, 08:31 PM

Hosoe posted on Facebook a video for Gravityman saying he was the one who composed it.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:46 PM

So.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpaOpa View Post
There's a thread based on the OST release here in the album discussions section of the forum.