VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 17, 2022, 06:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKmC...IXMUSICChannel

Nobuo Uematsu & Masayoshi Soken: The New "True Uematsu Sound" !?

The new album "Modulation - FINAL FANTASY Arrangement Album" by Nobuo Uematsu.
The album will feature the "True Uematsu Sound," which Uematsu himself sampled and reconstructed from the original sound sources.
What exactly is the "true Uematsu sound"? FINAL FANTASY XIV sound director Masayoshi Soken will find out!

Cast
Nobuo Uematsu
Masayoshi Soken

I'm really curious about this ... looks promising. The master and his pupil so to say, if Soken can be seen as Uematsu's successor in terms of Final Fantasy's music.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:14 AM

If you saw the live primals show that happened recently Nobuo Uematsu was there and played a couple tracks that will be on the album.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 04:04 AM

It'd be neat if the name of the album was also its theme....i.e. music that modulates. But I doubt it.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 04:18 AM

Soken: Why did you choose "Modulation" as the album title?
Uematsu: I wanted to give my older tracks a bit of a tune up.
Soken: True, "modulation" does mean "to modify"
Uematsu: I arranged some pieces, added some effects, and modulated them, so to speak.
Soken: Modulated! (laughs)
Uematsu: Yes, I tinkered around with them a bit.
Soken: I see.
Uematsu: The album still has a retro sound to it in many parts. While composing, I used things like the modulation wheel, voltage controlled filters, amplifiers, other filter types... Each of those modifiers is called a module, so I figured "Modulation" was an appropriate title.
Soken: Module, modulation...modulated, modulation... Very clever!
Uematsu: I think it's a great title.

So, this makes one of the rare opportunities where Uematsu himself did most of the work by himself, like selecting the tracks, arranging, mixing, etc. Also, he states that this album marks the first time he releases his own work on vinyl as back then it already had moved to CD (starting with All Sounds of Final Fantasy in 1988). For the tracks, one from each Final Fantasy soundtrack was chosen by Uematsu (I to X), including "Blue Fields", "Battle on the Big Bridge", "Zanarkand" or "Bran Bal, the Soulless Village".

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Sep 18, 2022 at 04:27 AM.