VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:01 AM
Trusted Editor

ちょメガよろしく are furigana, so the name of the song should be "CyberSlider Cho Mega Yoroshiku", and not "CyberSlider TMY (Cho Mega Yoroshiku)", right?

About "CyberSlider", is it correct to write it like this by pasting the 2 English words with a capital letter in the middle? Wouldn't it be better to write either "Cyber Slider" or "Cyberslider"? The question can arise for many other English words invented in the Tokusatsu series.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know a lot about toku, but there is this figure: https://lavitsfigure.com/products/ba...-action-figure

It's all capital letters there, so not sure about the S. It also wouldn't surprise me if they were inconsistent anyway.

TMY is interesting. It is more like an acronym in function. I know I've seen other examples of furigana on English letters or words, but I can't recall which ones, or how we handled them.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:50 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I don't know a lot about toku, but there is this figure: https://lavitsfigure.com/products/ba...-action-figure

It's all capital letters there, so not sure about the S. It also wouldn't surprise me if they were inconsistent anyway.
Yes I also saw this box of toys and others, but is the toy boxes considered reliable / official sources, because sometimes the translations are weird. I had asked the question on this other thread, but I had not been answered:
https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
is interesting. It is more like an acronym in function. I know I've seen other examples of furigana on English letters or words, but I can't recall which ones, or how we handled them.
The furigana give the pronunciation of the song, so by writing both "TMY" and "Cho Mega Yoroshiku", we make a repetition.
JASRAC database gives as transcription "Cho Mega Yoroshiku" or leave "TMY", but not both on the same line.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 04:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think you are right about the furigana. We use those for kanji readings, so we should also use them for creative western readings when they occur.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 05:38 PM
Trusted Editor

What we could do is put "CyberSlider Cho Mega Yoroshiku" on the first line, and possibly put "CyberSlider TMY" on the 4th line to help with the search.
On the other hand, we should not put the English translation "Super Mega Nice To Meet You" on the 4th line since it is not official, and leave it only on the English tracklist.
Is everyone OK before I edit?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:00 PM

as it's TMY, "Tyo Mega Yoroshiku" should maybe be written (to match the T letter)

also it's cho, not chou (it can't be translated by super)
perso, I'd translate it less litterally as "Hey(, or !) Mega Yo" ("Yo" to keep a little of "Yoroshiku" and "Yo" as a way to greet sm1)
Old Jun 29, 2022, 06:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've made the basic change of replacing TMY with the furigana reading.

Not so sure about "Tyo Mega Yoroshiku". Seems like we should use our standard way to romanize the furigana, though I agree some wordplay is probably lost, so I don't know. I don't know how it should be translated, but I trust your judgement.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:31 AM

so the trackname becomes "CyberSlider CMY"
not very "CyberSlider TMY"
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:03 AM
Trusted Editor

The site Powerangers.fandom.com which gives a romanization and an English translation of the lyrics of the song, contradicts itself on the transcription of "ちょメガよろしく": it writes "Tyo Mega Yoroshiku" in the lyrics but "Cho Mega Yoshiroku" in the title:
https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki...ega_Yoroshiku)

(also the Japanese lyrics are here: http://www.kget.jp/lyric/124791/%E3%...9B%B4%E6%A8%B9)

Their (approximate) English translation seems to indicate that "Tyo Mega" is a weapon, but strangely the English Wikipedia page on Megaranger doesn't mention it... So I don't know if "Cho/Tyo Mega" translates into English or not....